Does transplanted hair keep the old charecteristics of the donor hair or take on new charecteristics from the recipient site?

Does transplanted hair keep the old charecteristics of the donor hair or take on new charecteristics from the recipient site?

I see some of my new hair curling a little at the ends so it got me curious. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I see some of my new hair curling a little at the ends so it got me curious. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Unfortunately it grows as programmed in the DNA and looks like it would on the horseshoe.

One exception, ive heard, is body hair plants which they are able to get to grow out rather than stop at the normal body hair length. Not sure how this works.

The horseshoe hair is a little thicker, coarser, and wilder looking. Nic Cage has some problems with his HT because the hairs look especially coarse.

His Fue has caused serious density problems

hardcore long-term veteran of hack plug doctors to ultra refined coalition doctors.

knowledgeable about show business hair transplants

I have light hair and the top of my hair has natural blonde highlites and the back and sides are darker!

Canadian_buba - I think I have something similar but I have often found this is caused by the sun. I was expecting that hairs moved to the top would get more sun and therefore get lighter in the summer. Has anyone found problems with this?

celebvet, I've actually heard the exact opposite regarding bht.

my hair is curly in the front, wavy in the back. my donor hair took on the curly characteristics when transplanted to the hairline.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Originally posted by hairthere:

celebvet, I've actually heard the exact opposite regarding bht.

my hair is curly in the front, wavy in the back. my donor hair took on the curly characteristics when transplanted to the hairline.

That is what I think is happening with mine. In the back its very straight but in the front sometimes it curls at the ends now especially on one side.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

the donor hair retains it's genetically programmed characteristics, it's called 'donor dominance' and is what allows for ht's to be possible; that is, the follicles are not susceptible to DHT and thus continue growing for life. the 'curl' your experiencing is more than likely the 'kinky' 'frizzy' effect of the hair being transplanted, which is merely temporary.

now onto a more pertinent and sober question which has plagued the minds of balding men for ages from dusk to dawn:

when we hear such eloquent descriptions of the gratuity, philanthropy, and sheer love demonstrated by the staff of top clinics, what precisely is to be expected?

Do they bathe & kiss thy feet & loins in warmed melted butter milk from the local herds finest & flawless cows? Do they offer a prayer and blessing over each hair they pluck and plant; perhaps a seance or gypsic dance of sorts prior to the implantation of each strand? Do they offer thy their first born virgin child & cast her into the girth of your loins upon departure?

These are among the mysteries which have evaded and plagued my mind into the wee hours of many a mornings.

That is a great question of whether hair transplanted from one part of the scalp or body takes on the characteristics of the newly transplanted area. This is a fascinating subject, and in fact, at the last ISHRS meeting that I attended, there was some discussion about this topic. I do not remember the specifics, but some physicians did comments that they were seeing changes in the hair to reflect its new location. Now you may ask, well how can that be if the DNA is programmed already ??“ the answer is 'I don't know' but the body has ways of adapting.

I have done many eyebrow and eyelash transplants and the scalp hairs that I transplant into those areas do seem to take on the characteristics of eyebrow and eyelashes after sometime.

Again, I think this is a great question and hopefully more people will comment if they have seen this phenomenon.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

benedict, i understand what you're saying about the hair being frizzy, but my hair has taken on the definite characteristics of the hairline, which is corkscrew curly, whereas the back just has some wave. so i agree with dr. gabel: there are no definitives with donor hairs-they vary from patient to patient. i do agree (optimistically) about the tranpsplanted donor being impervious to dht.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Originally posted by Benedict Arnold:

the donor hair retains it's genetically programmed characteristics, it's called 'donor dominance' and is what allows for ht's to be possible; that is, the follicles are not susceptible to DHT and thus continue growing for life. the 'curl' your experiencing is more than likely the 'kinky' 'frizzy' effect of the hair being transplanted, which is merely temporary.

now onto a more pertinent and sober question which has plagued the minds of balding men for ages from dusk to dawn:

when we hear such eloquent descriptions of the gratuity, philanthropy, and sheer love demonstrated by the staff of top clinics, what precisely is to be expected?

Do they bathe & kiss thy feet & loins in warmed melted butter milk from the local herds finest & flawless cows? Do they offer a prayer and blessing over each hair they pluck and plant; perhaps a seance or gypsic dance of sorts prior to the implantation of each strand? Do they offer thy their first born virgin child & cast her into the girth of your loins upon departure?

These are among the mysteries which have evaded and plagued my mind into the wee hours of many a mornings.

No they dont but while they do your hair transplant they may be able to concurrently give you mental counseling or hire a poet to record your haiku/poem/personal reflective muses .... icon_biggrin.gif Im just teasing you of course.

SDM