Pat goes back into the surgical chair for more hair.

• Administrators

Yes, like the hair junkie I am I went back for more surgery just a couple of weeks ago with Dr. Paul Rose in Tampa Florida. Dr. Rose is an outstanding hair restoration physician and member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I had my hairline and frontal half restored originally by Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minneapolis years ago. But over time my crown thinned out, despite using Propecia for the past few years. I was able to disguise this hair loss in the crown fairly well using Prothik spray.

But as wonderful as this product is in increasing the look of fullness in thinning areas spray painting your head gets old.

I was concern that after having done three surgical sessions in the past that my donor area was too tight for another strip excision surgery. So I consulted with Dr. Rose who is one of the leading FUE (follicular unit extraction)surgeons in North America.

I was curious to try FUE first hand. But Dr. Rose upon examining my donor felt I would be best advised to do a strip excision surgery rather than FUE so that I could get a much higher number of grafts into my crown area.

Dr. Rose estimated that if he shaved the back of my head and did FUE I might get a few hundred grafts for use in the crown. Where as by taking a thin long strip he estimated I could get just over 1,000 grafts for use in my crown.

I decided to listen to his wise advice and we did the strip excision surgery. As it turned out this was an excellent choise.

Dr. Rose took great care in removing the donor strip and closing it. I was very impressed with his surgical skill and in how he completed the work in the donor area. As a dermatological surgeon I think Dr. Rose is particularly gifted at donor removal.

His staff then did an excellent job of microscopically dissecting my donor into well over 1,000 graft.

I was please to see that they were then able to transplant the entire balding area of my crown with a decent density.

Last week I had my sutures removed from the donor area and it look and feels great back there.

Now comes the waiting. But I have every confidence that my growth rate will be excellent and my days of spray painting my crown will behind me in less than a year.

Patrick Hennessey, Publisher of this community

P.S. To read about my first series of surgeries visit http://www.regrowhair.com/publishers_story_p2.asp

411104038_22E4D9F7E3A31490530D9474481AB133.jpg.thumb 311104038_61B636C81887FDC71FCE82588FCFE276.jpg.thumb

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• Administrators

Yes, like the hair junkie I am I went back for more surgery just a couple of weeks ago with Dr. Paul Rose in Tampa Florida. Dr. Rose is an outstanding hair restoration physician and member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I had my hairline and frontal half restored originally by Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minneapolis years ago. But over time my crown thinned out, despite using Propecia for the past few years. I was able to disguise this hair loss in the crown fairly well using Prothik spray.

But as wonderful as this product is in increasing the look of fullness in thinning areas spray painting your head gets old.

I was concern that after having done three surgical sessions in the past that my donor area was too tight for another strip excision surgery. So I consulted with Dr. Rose who is one of the leading FUE (follicular unit extraction)surgeons in North America.

I was curious to try FUE first hand. But Dr. Rose upon examining my donor felt I would be best advised to do a strip excision surgery rather than FUE so that I could get a much higher number of grafts into my crown area.

Dr. Rose estimated that if he shaved the back of my head and did FUE I might get a few hundred grafts for use in the crown. Where as by taking a thin long strip he estimated I could get just over 1,000 grafts for use in my crown.

I decided to listen to his wise advice and we did the strip excision surgery. As it turned out this was an excellent choise.

Dr. Rose took great care in removing the donor strip and closing it. I was very impressed with his surgical skill and in how he completed the work in the donor area. As a dermatological surgeon I think Dr. Rose is particularly gifted at donor removal.

His staff then did an excellent job of microscopically dissecting my donor into well over 1,000 graft.

I was please to see that they were then able to transplant the entire balding area of my crown with a decent density.

Last week I had my sutures removed from the donor area and it look and feels great back there.

Now comes the waiting. But I have every confidence that my growth rate will be excellent and my days of spray painting my crown will behind me in less than a year.

Patrick Hennessey, Publisher of this community

P.S. To read about my first series of surgeries visit http://www.regrowhair.com/publishers_story_p2.asp

411104038_22E4D9F7E3A31490530D9474481AB133.jpg.thumb 311104038_61B636C81887FDC71FCE82588FCFE276.jpg.thumb

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Pat,

The recipient area looks very clean and the grafts impeded into the neighboring vertex, lateral humps, and coronet area of the crown will make for a nice acclamation into your existing hair. You should get a very nice result and coverage so keep the pics coming. Happy growth!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

pat thanks for sharing. its nice to see the backshot of the HT. we always just saw the front. i think it looks good, and you will look even younger. Personally, I am using mascara in my crown to blend the balding area. i feel its the same as the spray on. it gives the illusion of thicker hair, and the mascara has the vitamins in it for hair (albeit eyelashes), and its also waterproof. but i cant wait to finally get in the chair and get some work done.

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

Baldcasanova,

Has vitamins too? Not sure what you meant there.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Pat,

First congrats on another successful HT and hopefully it will give you the crown coverage you want-- nice to see you had another strip avialable.

1 question, Why didnt you go back to Dr. Shapiro after Rose said you should go with a strip procedure? Didnt Rose train under Shapiro?

• Administrators

Guys,

Thanks for the support. It's fun being a patient again. Some how having more hair on the way is like knowing the weather is going to be getting more sunny. No doubt being a thickening guy rather than a balding one is better.

Dr. Ron Shapiro's work is as excellent as ever and God bless him for the wonderful hairline. But I now live in Florida and up until the day of surgery both Dr. Rose and I did not know whether I would be doing FUE for FUT. So with Dr. Rose I knew I would get excellent work no matter which procedure I chose.

As it turned out doing FUT was the best choice for me.

Best wishes for great hair growth to you guys.

Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

Smoothy,

It is actually the reverse with Dr. Rose mentoring Dr. Shapiro from the early days. In fact from what I have heard, Dr. Rose had alot of influence on Dr. Shapiro regarding design of hairlines and refinement of FUT procedures. My opinion is that they are clones of each other!

Gillenator

• Administrators

Damo,

It looks like you have seen a nice improvement, especially given that you are only 6 months out. Dr. Martnick really does excellent work. Thanks for sharing.

Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

Hi Pat, good to see all went well.

If you have seen my post, you know I had work done by Dr.Rose also and it went great. Look's like you got the same great work.

Take care...

Smoothy,

Thanks for the comment. Yes Dr. Rose is a very genuine individual and does great work. He will be doing my next procedure when I am ready financially speaking.

Hairbegood,

Depending if you have strip or FIT, you will find Dr. Rose very competitive in contrast to other good surgeons and his colleagues. You can e-mail him at paultrose@yahoo.com for a personal evaluation on your needs, graft count, etc.

Arfy,

Dr. Rose has been a long-time member of this network and coalition. Pat and I have been discussing Dr. Rose's work and we almost did our procedures togethor. Surely you have heard about him over the past 15 years or so? I know you go back a ways in this field as I do and I thought maybe you have heard about his astute repair work before.

Gillenator

Hey Steve

My comment was supposed to be a joke... since Pat runs a hair transplant website... where did he hear about Dr. Rose...

Admittedly it was not very funny, and I guess it was not even apparent to others as a joke. Next time I will leave the comedy to the professionals.

I do notice that Dr. Rose gets consistently good feedback.

Good luck Pat.

• Administrators

Just to add my two cents to the issue of who trained who - Dr. Shapiro or Dr. Rose - I think they both helped each other and their profession develop and evolve. They have shared their techniques and tips with each other and their colleagues for years.

Dr. Paul Rose and Dr. Ron Shapiro both were involved with follicular unit hair transplantation as it emerged and evolved in the early nineties. They are now both regarded as being at the very top of their profession for not only their results but their lectures and presentations.

Both do excellent work that is unsurpassed. I suspect that if their patients were in the same room a viewer would be hard pressed to know who was whose patient. It is very hard to distinguish between excellent and excellent.

I know I'm very pleased with the work I got from both of them.

Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

Hey Steve

My comment was supposed to be a joke... since Pat runs a hair transplant website... where did he hear about Dr. Rose...

Admittedly it was not very funny,

I found it to be a little humorous. icon_smile.gif

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

To the Hair Loss Community,

I wanted to introduce myself as Gillenator's wife, and let you know that he is still recuperating and doing well. Thank you for all of the nice comments and well wishes to him.

Gill had to drop his computer off for repair and will not have it back till mid-January. Gill asked me to make a post from my computer to clarify a post made on this thread regarding Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Rose.

It was Gill's understanding that Dr. Rose had a lot of influence on Dr. Shapiro getting into the hair restoration field, design of hair line, etc. Dr. Rose immediately clarified to Gill that this is simply not true. Both Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Rose are long term physicians in this field of hair restoration, and my husband wanted to clarify this mistake regarding his comment.

Gill wanted to offer his apology to both Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Rose, and admit to his mistake, and certainly did not mean to offend anyone. He wanted to make this clarification as soon as it was brought to his attention, but does not have access to his computer that he normally posts from.

Thank you for your understanding, and he will be back to the forum as soon as he possibly can.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs. Gil,

I hope Steve get alright soon. I am one of his followers.Let him know he does a great job.

Looking fwd to him joining us back soon.

Going to Dr.AP for Body hair transplant and fue

Pat,

why did dr.rose say he could get only a couple of hundred grafts by fue. From what I read on all the forums you should have been able to get 1000 minimum if you could get a strip.

Going to Dr.AP for Body hair transplant and fue