transplant infection?

I had a hair transplant 3.5 weeks ago (3,000 grafts) and my forehead is still slightly puffy and I still have a number of scabs. My transplant doctor looked over my scalp recently and said all was well and I had to work harder to remove the scabs. I just visited another transplant doctor nearer my home and he said the scabs were all quite infected. He advised me to use polysporin for a week and after that, he would prescribe antibiotics. It's hard to know which doctor to believe. If I'm infected, why wouldn't antibiotics be prescribed right away (rather than waiting a week)? Also, does anyone know if infection can damage the grafts or prevent growth?

Jordan,

Welcome to our community and congratulations on your recent hair transplant procedure. If you're able to post photos showing the area you are concerned about, patient and physician members of this community can provide their feedback.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

• 3 weeks later...

Its better to always be on the side of caution. Call the Dr in question and ask if he can go ahead and call in the antiboitic (worse case it will be preventative)--- 10yrs ago surgeons gave antiboitics pre and post op for preventive infectiions.

Follow the advise on the scalp therapy and keep the scalp clean at least 1-2x a day with light shampooing. Also, DONT force your scabs off! This could create possible scarring-- just wash 1-2-3x a day and they should naturally come off. PLUS if you force them off and they are infected, you open fresh wounds that can spread the infection! SO DONT FORCE SCABS OFF.

Things should be better in 10days after antibiotics and daily scalp washing.

SMOOTHY