Interesting case of cleft lip mustache repair - Dr. Gabel

This patient is a 46 year old gentleman who desired to have his mustache repaired. He was born with a cleft lip and palate, which caused a significant gap in the tissues of the upper lip, and if the cleft extends into his mouth, the roof of the mouth can have a large gap that then has an opening into the bottom of the nasal cavity called a cleft palate.

He has undergone numerous surgical procedures to repair the cleft lip and cleft palate. He has had bone grafts placed into his mouth to reconstruct the roof of his mouth so he can swallow and breathe properly (see photograph of roof of mouth). He has had several surgical procedures on his lip and nose. He recently had his jaw split and moved forward for proper alignment.

To say it has been a long struggle is an understatement. He is a really nice person with a great attitude overcoming a tough problem. Thankfully, at this point, he is doing very well. The one area now that bothers him is the gap in his mustache. He uses his mustache to cover some of the scars in his upper lip; however, no hair is growing in that area and he feels people notice it more because of the lack of hair.

We had several conversations about the procedure and the possibility that the hair would not grow in the scar tissue because of how thick the scar is and possibility of poor blood supply. He understood the risk and decided to go ahead with the procedure.

He underwent a transplant to his upper lip and it went great. While making the slits, I felt that there was a good blood supply from the bleeding that occurred. We transplanted 255 grafts into the upper lip in a focused area where he lacked hair. The grafts were oriented very carefully to follow the natural direction of his mustache. Overall he tolerated the procedure well and I'll keep this post updated on its growth and progress. The patient will be following this post and I wanted to thank him for allowing me to share his experience.

Front.jpg.63e3998fec8d4bc4462f50fa17d3eccc.jpg

Frontalclose.jpg.42beccdfddf8652eae089975d423993f.jpg

cleft-palate.jpg.eebb3f53dbcefe53dab2cac860094d39.jpg

areaof-sig.jpg.38a37e2a1f65ab8452988c5674892c40.jpg

area2.jpg.7c3a936f8ce17c33d1af4b0c3f475181.jpg

area3.jpg.3782cb95bccdb13823326cb526f80241.jpg

slits2.jpg.1b778037a0efb82e115d8f2890bc0833.jpg

slits.jpg.e1bb6419a85f90b320988bbac7f131a6.jpg

gabelplacing.jpg.05e0b92ae6b00d90e49424ad48f5ebdf.jpg

grafts-placed.jpg.f2dd62109be21728f6a9c581c5e21992.jpg

bottomviewgrafts.jpg.da3bb9e1c7d4efc5e6f6fcf0cd9b5302.jpg

topview.jpg.5003ebda7e5b6ed2a6ac2ecfe5d2144b.jpg

End.jpg.ebf3d206dbf44978300611ba668bfd9f.jpg

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Dr. Gabel,

Welcome to our new and improved forum and robust social networking community. This truly is an interesting case and I'm interested in seeing how the result turns out over the next year. I hope you'll come back and update this album as the results come back :-)

Best wishes,

Bill

Dr Gabel,

Thank you for sharing this unique and interesting case. This gentlemen definitely deserves a positive outcome, and I look forward to the final result. Make sure to keep us updated! Very well done.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Looks like the procedure will do wonders for this patient.... can't wait to see how it all comes out in the end. Thanks for the detail and surgery pictures by the way, amazing case to moniter from start to finish with detail like this.

Robin

I am employed by Dr. Parsa Mohebi at US Hair Restoration.

Dr. Parsa Mohebi is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network