Is Micro Pigmentation a Good Alternative?

Just came across this randomnly on the net - here are some before and after pics to show what it is:

http://www.hishairclinic.com/gallery/

It seems to be essentially tattooing the head with simulated little micro hairs to give the look of a short cropped hairstyle - from the pictures the results seem good.

Also there is the option of undoing it afterwards so its not a permanent if you dont want it to be.

Having been informed im not an ideal candidate for HT, this looks like a good alternative, what do you guys think?

Has anyone tried it?

thanks for the response, gonna book a consultation soon so will find out if it actually is permanent or whether it can be removed - seems like no-one on this site has had this done so looks like im journeying into the dark here!

Movsar, I too would be interested to hear how you get on. I’ve also come across their website (and a few others) and the procedure is something I am really considering as an alternative solution.

hi guys, i actually missed my consultation (due to exams) and have rearranged it for when im free which is in about two weeks - will let you guys know how i get on

if i do go ahead with it ( which at the moment is a very good possibility), il post some before and after pictures and you can judge for yourself, im hoping this is the answer i was looking for

• 2 weeks later...

alright guys

for those of you who were interested, ive had my consultation and all that remains now is to arrange a date as to when i can get it done

I was impressed with the honesty of the ian ( they guy who runs the place), asnwered my questions straight - also you can get the pigmentations removed if you wanted but apparently almost no-one has yet asked for that after having it done. Ian himself has had this done and it looks virtually unrecognisable...he keeps hair at blade 0 whereas i would like to keep mine at balde 1-2, he said its possible to do that as long as i can maintain my current levelt of natural hair

any questions, let me know

sparky, i had the consultation at his hair clinic in birmingham- i posted the link in my 1st post on this thread

julius, according to ian the procedure can be reversed and the pigmentations can be removed but apparently very few people have asked it to be removed once they get it done

Interesting. I see there are a strip and a FUE case on there which look to have been successful. It does appear to be very natural-looking, although the actual hairline designs are often far too sharply defined, especially at the temples.

Movsar, were you given some idea of costs involved, and how is the pigment removed in patients who chose that?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Well, allow me to share my viewpoints

First, I agree with mattj that they hairlines are far too sharp to look natural. I also think that the best results seems to be the ones where the pigmentation have been blended into existing hair (diffuse thinners) while the ones that are completely bare, well it looks okay, but to the trained eye something looks awry.

Also there is the issue of your hair getting a different color as your age, while the tattoo does not, but I suppose that they can be removed and re-applied every 10 years or so if nessesary.

In the end, if I personally were to go down this route, I would use it to strengthen the middle section and the crown as well as hide the HT scar. If your hairline is gone, consider a small FUE to make sure that it blends in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

mattj, costs are dependant on how much of your own hair you have left as the pigmentations can be blended in with your natural hair if you have enough of it - for me id need to have it done over most of my head as ive got loads of patches so its about 2 grand - for others it might be cheaper

regarding it being removed,im not sure, all i know is that its not done by laser - some of the hairlines are sharply defined but thats the choice of each individual person as everything is marked out before hand according to what you want

Usually, micropigmentation is tattooing and should be thought of as permanent. Laser tattoo removal isn't perfect.

It looks better from further away than from close up as there is no texture like there is with hair.

The micropigmented hairlines are often straight and look unnatural but the artistry could be changed to create more irregularity. As with hair transplantation, creating a low, full, permanent "hairline" on a young man could look terrible after he ages and/or loses more hair.

I have been consulted by a man who had a 2nd session of micropigmentation to correct the hairline from his first micropigmentation session. He feels that the hairline looks too straight and smooth and that he has to keep his hair buzzed or the micropigmentation looks unnatural. He is not happy with the results and would like a hair transplant. He would prefer FUT-trichophytic because of the reliability and the lower cost than for FUE but he is reluctant to grow his sides and back long enough to hide the sutures. He is still weighing his options.

The choice is yours but you should think of micropigmentation as a permanent procedure that will force you to keep your hair buzzed forever and should plan accordingly. The same rules and guidelines for hairline design for hair transplantation should apply for micropigmentation.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Without a doubt you have to keep your hair buzzed forever if you go for the micropigmentation. As for the hairline and sharpness of them, it is entirely upto you, you reep what you sow- if you have a hairline half and inch above your eyebrows and straight as an arrow, you will look a twat when your aged 50+ . If i went for it (which im considering) id have a receding look, but a bit better then the hairline i have now. Id also think about having small FUE procedures like i think MIKETHEDANE said and dot hairs around my hairline and behind, just so the odd tosser that does deside to rub your head does feel stubble. As for turning grey when im older but still having that tat......Lets jus hope they come up with an idea for that in the next 20 years or im f**ked :D !!!!!

here is a reply that i received from HIS;

The questions were;

1) In your opinion, how well can you camouflage a strip scar with micro pigmentation

2) In your opinion, do you get better results on patients that are diffusely thinning vs complete bare areas?

3) How well does the tattoo age? As we grow older, our hair color change, but what about the tattoo?

Here is the reply I received:

In relation to your specific questions we have successfully camouflaged scars including a number of HT scars (strip,plug and FUE)and blended them to existing hair, Depending on the look you are trying to achieve we have achieved excellent results for guys who are completely bald and guys with some remaining hair who are just looking for more density. With regards to colour our pigments to any existing hair colour and with time this does fades and become lighter so if you are greying again it blends - please take a look at our gallery section of the website.

We hope this answers your questions if you have any further queries please contact us directly.

Many Thanks

---

Well it makes semse I suppose. Still, I would feel way more comfortable as someone who has had hairs transplanted into the hairline and frontal 2/3's with a strip scar than being a fullblown NW6 with no texture to support a hairline etc. In all fairness, their camouflaging on strip scars is quiet impressive.

Look at this thread Boondock, it should be of interest to you..

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=135790&page=5

• 7 months later...

Hi i am new to these boards and am grateful to have discovered them.

Does anyone have anymore updates on this procedure?

I have also come across the site. Would this be a good option once someone has had HT?

I had my hopes raised today when I went to DHI and was very impressed with what was said to me. Then I read the reviews on these boards and its seems my hopes and optimism to finally feel comfortable dashed.

If they are as bad as the reviews on here its best to stay well away.

What other choices do I have? For a few years from my own lack of research and panic I got duped into wearing a hair piece, and have been regretting it for a long while now, as it bring same insecurity as I experienced when thinning and losing my hair when only 18. Fear of people finding out and the constant looking after of it has finally got to me.

Today I thought things had changed and maybe the same panic lead me to believe something that was too good to be true and almost make another mistake but thanks to these boards Im a bit wiser.

Could someone please help and point me the way of decent place I could look to get HT done.

Thanks