selective density & grafts saved due to hairline

questions guys!

1. Does a doc vary the density of the grafts which are placed or is the density the same all over the recipient area? "Important areas" can be identified which need a higher density & more grafts could go there. Any part of the scalp which fits the high density class?

2. My hairline is in tact & based on a miniaturization study is pretty thick. I have diffuse thinning behind the hairline. If my hairline does not need any work how many grafts would I save? Basically how many grafts does it take to create an average looking hairline?

3. Does shock loss depend on the density of the grafts being placed around weakened hairs? lesser grafts means lesser chance of shock loss or does the incision itself result in shock loss irrespective of how many?

questions guys!

1. Does a doc vary the density of the grafts which are placed or is the density the same all over the recipient area? "Important areas" can be identified which need a higher density & more grafts could go there. Any part of the scalp which fits the high density class?

2. My hairline is in tact & based on a miniaturization study is pretty thick. I have diffuse thinning behind the hairline. If my hairline does not need any work how many grafts would I save? Basically how many grafts does it take to create an average looking hairline?

3. Does shock loss depend on the density of the grafts being placed around weakened hairs? lesser grafts means lesser chance of shock loss or does the incision itself result in shock loss irrespective of how many?

1.)Absolutely the density will vary in the recipient area. It all depends on what the final goal is for the end result and many times grafts are placed in more strategic areas to give a certain appearance.

2.)This one is tough to answer. For one, one's definition of just what a hairline is can be different. One patient can have what he considers to be mild recession when in fact he may be a full blown NW4A and other times patients may think they look ridiculous because of the amount of recession when in reality they look just fine with only a little bit of loss. So, how many grafts you would "save" by not having hairline work is subjection. It could mean saving 800 grafts or 3000 grafts. If your pattern is what I suspect it is then I'd guess it would be on the low end but then again maybe those grafts you save could be used for the additional density where you are diffused. See the problem?

3.) Yes. To be more specific, shock loss can occur in between hairs if the right tool is not used and also if the recipient area is not prepared properly. If it is not prepared correctly then their can be loss due to transection. Smaller more miniaturized hairs can be permanently shocked no matter what but if the absolute best care is taken to minimize shock overall then usually these shocked hairs were somewhat irrelevant to the overall aesthetic to begin with.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

3.) Yes. To be more specific, shock loss can occur in between hairs if the right tool is not used and also if the recipient area is not prepared properly. If it is not prepared correctly then their can be loss due to transection. Smaller more miniaturized hairs can be permanently shocked no matter what but if the absolute best care is taken to minimize shock overall then usually these shocked hairs were somewhat irrelevant to the overall aesthetic to begin with.

I think it is also important to note that temporary shock loss can occur even if the recipient area is prepared properly and with the right tools. This is simply due to trauma to the surrounding follicles during surgery. These hairs however, will grow back as long as they are not transected (rare if ever in the hands of a quality physician), and the hair isn't weak due to heavier miniaturization.

Best wishes,

Bill