Question about HT for younger men...

Ryan NYC

Hey Guys...

I am 21 years old... and I've been receeding since I was about 18.. and its to the point now where it is really noticable. I woulnd't say my hairloss is extreme.. but you can definitely tell that my hairline is receeding.

My biggest question is... are my hopes un realistic of acheiving a look where I do not look like my hairline is receeding. Im only 21 years old... so this is really important to me. Would a hair transplant be worth my while? I realize that a hair transplant would give much more immediate results (a large factor for me) and I would need to remain on propecia. Will a doctor even be willing to do the operation on someone so young?? I understand that it could have some complications later on, but thats a risk i'd be willing to take. Any opinions out there???

[This message was edited by Ryan NYC on February 20, 2003 at 09:03 PM.]

Hey Guys...

I am 21 years old... and I've been receeding since I was about 18.. and its to the point now where it is really noticable. I woulnd't say my hairloss is extreme.. but you can definitely tell that my hairline is receeding.

My biggest question is... are my hopes un realistic of acheiving a look where I do not look like my hairline is receeding. Im only 21 years old... so this is really important to me. Would a hair transplant be worth my while? I realize that a hair transplant would give much more immediate results (a large factor for me) and I would need to remain on propecia. Will a doctor even be willing to do the operation on someone so young?? I understand that it could have some complications later on, but thats a risk i'd be willing to take. Any opinions out there???

[This message was edited by Ryan NYC on February 20, 2003 at 09:03 PM.]

Please go back and read the zillion answers to this "too young for a HT?" question on this site. It seems this has become a daily question. Someone just asked it yesterday or the day before.

It seems like everyday there are more and more young guys coming on this site looking for advice on transplants. I think the reason for this is that society is becoming more and more materialistic, and vein. Kids theses days are putting a big emphasis on style and their appearance. I think in the coming years we're going to see an explosion of young guys looking for help with their hairloss, and an explosion in those seeking hair transplants. My advice to you young guys is to be careful. Do your home work and research, and don't rush into anything.

Good Luck

Mr. Hair

I think it is because of the glut of TV infomercials for crappy clinics that make it sound like a hair transplant is the right decision for everyone. I was watching the new MHR commercial, and they said 90% of guys are good candidates, and the average guy only needs one procedure. That is UTTER BULLSH*T.

Ryan, when a guy gets a good transplant, it will give him a mature and recessed hairline. I'm willing to bet a good transplanted hairline would be MORE mature and MORE recessed than the hairline you currently have right now. The only way to "improve" on what you have would be to lower your hairline with grafts, which would be a MISTAKE. Look at Pat's story on the home page here. Look at his hairline, mature and recessed. If you lower your hairline to "high school" level, you will be setting yourself up for disaster. It will look bizarre when you get older. As your hair continues to thin, you will have drawn a "transplanted line in the sand" that is too low, and will be impossible to fill in adequately.

It is partly an issue of being too young, because a guy in his twenties usually won't settle for a hairline that looks good on a 40 or 50 year old guy (look at Pat's hairline for reference). The other issue is that you really need to be pretty bald, in order to really benefit from a surgery. The typical estimate is "Norwood 3 and up", and I might go as far as saying "Norwood4 and up". You sound like a Norwood2 at most.

If you really need to see someone, go see Dr. Bernstein in New York. He will probably turn you down for surgery though. Why... because he doesn't want to make any money? Of course not!!! Dr. Bernstein wants as much business as possible, just like every other doctor out there. But through experience, people have learned that some guys make good surgical candidates and some guys do not. You are not currently a good candidate, you are not bald enough yet. What a bummer, no surgery for you, huh!

Stay on Propecia, there is a very good chance that it will allow you stay at your current levels for a long time, if not actually reverse things a little. Propecia works best at prevention, and it can sometimes reverse things if the hair loss is "recent". So your odds on Propecia are excellent.

Nobody is saying you can "never" get a transplant, just that now is not the right time. You will be far better off by saving the hair you still have, and if you are lucky you will NEVER get to the point where you need a hair transplant.

Good luck.