Hairmax Laser Comb

Hi ASDA

Don't bother.. It's not worth the price and I would say has minimal results if any .. I'm sure objective people will agree as well

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks JB, did you use this contraption yourself with no results or do you know someone who wasted their time and money?

Hi

Both. Had a friend and have heard that it doesn't work. If it did work I think we would hear more about it as well ( like minoxidil and Propecia)

There is so much junk out there

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I think laser treatment is an interesting topic, I know that some of the best hair transplant clinics in the world are recommending its use - stating that it has similar growth properties to propecia where it strenghtens existing hair helping create thicker and healthier hair.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

The Hairmax laser comb does work and I have used it for four years now----While it may not regrow you a full head of hair---while using it with propecia it has prvented me from losing my hair

Hi Rod

are you sure it's the the Hairmax or the Propecia. I have been on Propecia for 7 years and it did exactly what you said. Stopped my hair loss with a little regrowth.. I'm still skeptical about the Hairmax as I do not know anyone personally who it work for. Many HT docs recommend many items to their patients and we know what that means. If it does work for some, like propecia, you would have to continue using it for life

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Laser combs seem pretty pricey for something I have yet to see proven and posted results for. I've asked a few questions about it and have been told the theory on why it works, however, before I'd ever invest in one, I would want to see some results.

There have been so many products advertised to regrow hair or halt loss over the years and all they did was funnel money to some slick advertisers. If someone has documented results from the laser comb, it would be great to see them.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

It seems like bunk to me that an electrical stimulus could have the same physiological effect that a pill would have on the hair follicle.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

JakeVig,

Interesting article...............however, if the only thing LLLT does is increase the circulation of blood to the follicle area, but does not eliminate DHT which is attacking the hair and causing MPB, how will it reverse MPB?

I'm still skeptical but would love to become a believer and thus be able to reap the benefits of a proven hair regrowth product. At this point, without proof of success, I'll stick to Propecia and my hair care regimen.

From a brief skimming of the internet, prices range from $600 to $1000 for the comb, and the websites before and after pics were very, very misleading to the point that I doubt the same people were depicted.

Do any coalition surgeons recommend them? It seems I read a recent thread saying a few of them were starting to recommend them. If any of the Doc's are reading this thread, please feel free to chime in and provide us with your expert advice.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi hairbank,

I don't think regrowth is on the cards but rather to create stronger, thicker healthier hair which would give the appearance of more hair.

I personally would not buy into it except that it is now being recommended by leading clinics. I will let you know more when I get back from my HT with SMG.

JakeVig-

When's you're HT scheduled? Good luck but with SMG you'll be in the best of hands and won't need it. They're definitely one of the best around. I'll bet you're psyched. icon_cool.gif

Any info you can pass along from SMG regarding the LLLT to educate those of us here on the forum is appreciated!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I believe these days that the word "laser" gets put to use more promotional than actual functionality

eg if you where to use laser surgery rather than say scapel surgery which one sounds more appealing?

not bagging out lasers but in this case i think its more used as a selling point then anything

else

and from what ive heard spending sometime out in the sunlight everyday will do the same thing

thats my 2 cents

icon_biggrin.gif

We Can only Play the cards we are dealt

http://www.hairlossweblogs.com/home-page.asp?WebID=95

Hi Hairbank,

My procedure is just less than 3 weeks away. Yeah Im a little nervous as well as excited at the same time since this is my first procedure. I just turned 27 so Im only getting 1200 grafts placed consertively in my hairline which I know is not generally advised for a virgin scalp icon_smile.gif.

With laser treatment I originally heard that SMG was suggesting them to their patients on this forum. Since I was in consultations with Matt anyway I quized him about it and he confirmed that they were suggesting their use and he would tell me more about it at my appointment. I will relay all I find out icon_smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

For the purposes of relaying information:

I have had a chance to quiz Ron about his thoughts on laser combs. Although he acknowledges that they are some studies to indicate that it has similar properties to propecia although as I understand it he personally does not believe it is as effective. His basic stance is that if cost is not an issue than you might as well try it as it will not cause any harm and may help. Either way they will be begin selling it at their office by next month.

• Administrators

In my opinion the laser comb and the low level laser light "therapy" provided in clinics is over sold and over priced.

But it works great for clinics that want to get hair loss sufferers through their doors. Then after spending a few thousand dollars over months of multiple visits, these hair loss sufferers realize that the only way to get their hairline back is with a hair transplant.

It's clever marketing for the clinic but patients results are similar to those from Rogaine at best.

I once discussed the "Laser comb" at length with a former marketing employee of Lexington International LLC (the makers of the HairMax Laser Comb). He told me that covert promotional posting on the forums was a standard marketing tactic. He told me that he thought the laser comb was way over hyped and over priced.

Frankly, actual results aside, I expect this laser fad will become very popular since many doctors are beginning to hawk it and make money from it. Never underestimate the money making potential of highly hyped product sold to desperate customers.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thats a very good point Pat!

I was also wondering why it costs so much, I always suspected that the high cost of the comb was artificially priced. I believe that the marketing message is that because it is so expensive it must be quality and must work. I am just suprised that their doesnt seem to be many other competitors on the market to undercut them. I have recently found amazinglasercomb.com which seems to sell a similar product for a lot less so I might give that a go to test whether laser therapy is effective.

i bought that laser comb a few months ago and am about to religiously start using it..ill keep some updates ..taking my before photos tonight..ive read alot of good things and my ex hairdresser gf and current hair guy say it does work...plus 20/20 and misc news shows..so lets hope...but i wil lsay man its pricy...and for what you get ..ew..its a lil brush with a serious red light i wouldnt want to look at..blasting from its middle

Hi guys, I had bought a Hairmax Laser Comb a couple of years ago and its been gathering dust now. I didn't notice much affect from it other than it gave my hair more volume.

Next week I will be 7 months post op from a 2100 FUT procedure. After reading this post about clinics recommending it, do you think I should start using it again? If it increases the circulation of blood to the follicle area, it could stimulate growth.

However, I have also read that you should avoid exposing the recipient area to sunlight/UV rays post-op so would it be safe to use the comb? I wouldn't want it to cause any harm! icon_confused.gif

I did spend ??500 on the thing so it would be good if I could get more mileage out of it! icon_rolleyes.gif

The comments/statements made above are my opinion only.

898 Scar Revision and Staple Cycle Experiment - Dr Feller & Dr Rogers (Nov'06)

2200 Strip - Dr Feller (Nov'05)

4 bad surgeries at Hosp Grp

Hi BAL,

Did you say that it gave your hair more volume? because I think thats all it is supposed to do, promote healthier fuller hair to give the appearance of more hair. It sounds like that if you have a lot of weak wispy hairs that LLLT can give them a healthier thicker appearance - so it looks like regrowth.

The science behind it is called 'Low level laser therapy' (LLLT). A lot of info can be found on google, this article discusses a clinical study on it http://www.ishrs.org/mediacenter/pr/pr5.htm

It operates at a different frequency to UV light so I wouldn't be worried about sunburn or 'discoloration'. The results from the studies indicate that "No side effects of low-level laser therapy have been observed".

The only info I can find on wikipedia is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photobiomodulation. It seems to be apart of the very subjective 'alternative medicine' field (akin to herbal treatments).

My own conclusion is that it may 'assist' with proven hair loss treatments by promoting a healthier scalp.

Hey JakeVig, well I have fine hair and I observed that my hair looked thicker or fuller but no new follicles. At the time I bought the comb, the Hairmax guys said that the comb stimulates new growth but that wasn't the case.

I guess if I'm using it just 3 times per week for 10-15 minutes per treatment, the comb's Low level laser shouldn't have an adverse effect on my grafts. So in your opinion its safe to use at 7 months post op? My only concern is the safety issues during a post-op HT.

Thanks for the links, it seems that in theory the comb could potentially help support the growth of my grafts.

As I already own the comb I might as well give it a go if I have nothing to lose!

Originally posted by BAL:

Hey JakeVig, well I have fine hair and I observed that my hair looked thicker or fuller but no new follicles. At the time I bought the comb, the Hairmax guys said that the comb stimulates new growth but that wasn't the case.

I guess if I'm using it just 3 times per week for 10-15 minutes per treatment, the comb's Low level laser shouldn't have an adverse effect on my grafts. So in your opinion its safe to use at 7 months post op? My only concern is the safety issues during a post-op HT.

Thanks for the links, it seems that in theory the comb could potentially help support the growth of my grafts.

As I already own the comb I might as well give it a go if I have nothing to lose!

Yeah if you already have it and can spare the time I would definately be using it. The laser itself is very weak (i.e. 'Low Level' or 'Cold Laser' as its sometimes called). The good thing about it is that there have never been any documented side effects. People are still debating its effects but I believe that there is enough evidence to support that it can be beneficial to some users at least.

At 7 months post op it should not affect your grafts whatsoever. I am going to wait a couple of weeks post op before I start using it only because I don't want to 'brush' my recipient area, im not worried about the laser.

As for regrowth I would not take the advice of sales people, I am only under the assumption that it can give your hair a thicker and healthier look and maybe provide a healthier scalp so that maybe your Finasteride or Minoxidil treatment can be more effective.

Originally posted by JakeVig:

Yeah if you already have it and can spare the time I would definately be using it. The laser itself is very weak (i.e. 'Low Level' or 'Cold Laser' as its sometimes called). The good thing about it is that there have never been any documented side effects.

All good mate, I've officially brought the comb out of retirement icon_smile.gif. I can't see it doing any harm, especially as I am now nearly 7 months post op.

I am only under the assumption that it can give your hair a thicker and healthier look and maybe provide a healthier scalp so that maybe your Finasteride or Minoxidil treatment can be more effective.

Yeah from my experience with the comb I would agree that it makes your hair thicker and adds volume, which would be beneficial for those with thinning hair.

Good growing to you JakeVig,

BAL

Hi Bal,

Its good to see your making use of your investment again. I wish you all the best, I hope it works just as well for you again and speeds up the thickness of your newly transplanted hair. Let us know how you go with it.

I will be a couple of weeks behind you, although Im not nearly prepared to spend the $$$ on the hairmax laser comb. Im opting for the much cheaper amazinglasercomb.com instead it uses the same lasers at the same frequency so I am confident it will be just as effective.

I will keep everyone informed of my progress.