Costco Rogaine foam or Kirkland Brand Minoxidil?

The Rogaine foam 3pk is for $45 - 4 month supply.

The Kirkland 5% Minoxidil is 6 month supply for $18.

Obviously from a pricing perspective, I'd like to get the latter.

What's your recommendation?

I will be shortly obtaining a prescription to get onto Proscar as well.

Thanks.

Thanks HTT.

I think it said on the Rogaine that the pack provides a 4 month supply. Actually, it might be 4pks.

http://www.amazon.com/Rogaine-Foam-Rogaine-Regrowth-Treatment-Supply/dp/B000K71P66/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_njs_title_4/102-0381466-0965769

Why is the liquid Minox inadequate if both Rogaine and the former are 5% concentration?

Thanks.

Very interesting question!

I am using Rogaine 5% Liquid I got from ebay at 33US plus 19US to ship to UK.

Was planning on getting foam when I ran out cause they say it does not make your hair all oily like the liquid.

Doesn`t really matter now cause I just came out of an HT and I am buzzed, but will use it in 3 months time.

You guys confirm that its better for the hair styling??

Originally posted by Curious_George:

Thanks HTT.

I think it said on the Rogaine that the pack provides a 4 month supply. Actually, it might be 4pks.

http://www.amazon.com/Rogaine-Foam-Rogaine-Regrowth-Tre.../102-0381466-0965769

Why is the liquid Minox inadequate if both Rogaine and the former are 5% concentration?

Thanks.

That does say 4 cans. I'd make sure as I order mine directly from Rogaine.com and haven't seen more than a 3-pack.

But, that's a pretty good deal for four cans. FYI, in college back in '88 I paid $75 per can for Rogaine 2% liquid. Inflation adjusted that's about $120 per can in todays dollars. Rule of 72 >> 72/3% = 24 years to double.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Ok, I bought 12 pks which is stated to be a 12 month supply for $162.

Now, I have to decide if I really need to go on Propecia. Talk of prostrate cancer scares me. I'm at risk (for general cancers, not prostrate specifically) person.

Originally posted by HT55:

Now, I have to decide if I really need to go on Propecia. Talk of prostrate cancer scares me. I'm at risk (for general cancers, not prostrate specifically) person.

Well the foam will work much better with Propecia. Proscar doesn't cause prostate cancer in fact I believe it helps deter it. The question some have is if you already have prostate cancer some say Proscar can speed up the process.

Propecia gets a bad enough rap as it is if it caused cancer it would be all over the internet and this forum

Thanks HT. I will ask Dr. Rahal his opinion on medication effectiveness in my case when I see him.

Questions:

1. I read another thread where folks are saying that Proscar+Rogaine is for maintenance of what you have. Can it be expected to produce some/any re-growth?

2. What kind of regimen: should it be daily, alternate days or what?

3. What happens when you stop taking Propecia? Lose what you re-gained? No change? Worse than before?

Thanks.

Well the foam will work much better with Propecia. Proscar doesn't cause prostate cancer in fact I believe it helps deter it. The question some have is if you already have prostate cancer some say Proscar can speed up the process.

Propecia gets a bad enough rap as it is if it caused cancer it would be all over the internet and this forum

Thanks HT. I will ask Dr. Rahal his opinion on medication effectiveness in my case when I see him.

Questions:

1. I read another thread where folks are saying that Proscar+Rogaine is for maintenance of what you have. Can it be expected to produce some/any re-growth?

3. What happens when you stop taking Propecia? Lose what you re-gained? No change? Worse than before?

Thanks.

Curious,

I'll take a shot at your questions, based on what I think I've learned:

1. Proscar + Rogaine can grow new hair, according to studies, in up to 60% of patients in trials. More than likely, 1/2 of those experienced good growth. I think most on here just say it'll stop further growth as it will do that almost always, and then count it as a bonus if they have any growth.

One night on the live chat Dr. Charles said the foam Rogaine was the best for some medical reason. It's meant to be taken 2x per day.

2. Proscar 5mg is broken into three pieces and taken M-W-F. So, you're taking 1.66 mg. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 30 pills will actually last 90 days.

3. You lose what you gained, and most likely any hair that was strengthened by the finisteride. But, that hair would have fallen out anyway.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Well I have regrown a tremendous amount of hair from Foam and Propecia. I am the guy in the red Shirt in this link and I have had MUCH more growth since this pic was taken and will have new pics up in June with the same angle and lighting as the before pics.

I cut proscar in 4 pieces and take 1.25 Mg/day and use Nizoral 2% shampoo 3x's a week

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=149286

My hair loss is more like the guy in the white tee - the top of the scalp. It looks pretty awful under direct light.

At the age of 31, I am not sure if I should go in for a HT and invest $10-15,000 in something where I might not achieve true long term benefit (since my hairloss pattern isn't established).

But *any* medication scares me and do I really want to take the risk of the sexual side effects that they suggest might come with Proscar?

This hairloss is a curse. Sorry for the rambling.

Originally posted by Dewayne:

Questions:

Thanks.

Curious,

I'll take a shot at your questions, based on what I think I've learned:

1. Proscar + Rogaine can grow new hair, according to studies, in up to 60% of patients in trials. More than likely, 1/2 of those experienced good growth. I think most on here just say it'll stop further growth as it will do that almost always, and then count it as a bonus if they have any growth.

One night on the live chat Dr. Charles said the foam Rogaine was the best for some medical reason. It's meant to be taken 2x per day.

2. Proscar 5mg is broken into three pieces and taken M-W-F. So, you're taking 1.66 mg. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 30 pills will actually last 90 days.

3. You lose what you gained, and most likely any hair that was strengthened by the finisteride. But, that hair would have fallen out anyway.

Thanks.

So, it's $160/yr. for the Rogaine and how much do 30 pills of Proscar cost?

I'm trying to do a cost forecast per year if I have to resort to this for the next 5-10 years.

Getting a HT without taking Propecia is VERY risky !

I assume you mean that the risk is that the non-transplanted hair would still fall off unless Propecia/Proscar is taken?

If that's the case, then it makes my decision easier - at 31 my hairloss pattern is most likely not finalized and if I do a HT and still have to go on Propecia, maybe I'll just do the latter!

• 8 months later...