Growth Rate

fedup77

Hey guys--I'm 6 weeks out on my HT ( NW5--- 3115 grafts with Dr Epstein) and about 60% of the grafts have shed, however, the remaining 40% are growing and there are black dots where other grafts are waiting to sprout. The thing that has me mystified is that the hair on my face seems to grow fast as hell, but my grafts ( that haven't shed) are growing much, much slower. I recently had a stress test and the doctor had to shave my chest in spots. Even the hair on my chest seems to grow a lot faster than the grafts are growing. I'm taking MSM and using rogaine 5% ( along with propecia). I'm wondering if the grafts that didn't fall out yet are gonna shed in another week or so and have to start all over again or am I gonna get lucky and have them keep growing. I know each person is a bit different, but I was hoping that the remaining 40% of the grafts will not shed ( they're about 3/4 inch long and look kinda nice). Also, if they don't fall out, will they pick up their growth rate as time goes by ( it took em 6 weeks to go from the 1/4 inch length they were when they were transplanted ---to the 3/4 inch length they are now). Also, the black dots that are showing don't seem to be sprouting--they just seem to be stalled where they are ( if they were beard stubble, they'd be a quarter to half inch long by now because they showed up about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Any advise?

Hey guys--I'm 6 weeks out on my HT ( NW5--- 3115 grafts with Dr Epstein) and about 60% of the grafts have shed, however, the remaining 40% are growing and there are black dots where other grafts are waiting to sprout. The thing that has me mystified is that the hair on my face seems to grow fast as hell, but my grafts ( that haven't shed) are growing much, much slower. I recently had a stress test and the doctor had to shave my chest in spots. Even the hair on my chest seems to grow a lot faster than the grafts are growing. I'm taking MSM and using rogaine 5% ( along with propecia). I'm wondering if the grafts that didn't fall out yet are gonna shed in another week or so and have to start all over again or am I gonna get lucky and have them keep growing. I know each person is a bit different, but I was hoping that the remaining 40% of the grafts will not shed ( they're about 3/4 inch long and look kinda nice). Also, if they don't fall out, will they pick up their growth rate as time goes by ( it took em 6 weeks to go from the 1/4 inch length they were when they were transplanted ---to the 3/4 inch length they are now). Also, the black dots that are showing don't seem to be sprouting--they just seem to be stalled where they are ( if they were beard stubble, they'd be a quarter to half inch long by now because they showed up about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Any advise?

lol, you are where everyone is at after HT. Kick back and relax. Sounds like everything is normal.

Those hairs may or may not fall out. 50-50 gamble. Hard to say. Growth is relatively slow at first, and YES, the black dots do take forever. Even at the 6 month mark.....

Keep us updated

I hate to say it but I think you are gonna be one of the unlucky ones. The hairs that have not yet fallen out but are "growing" very slowly are just hanging on, waiting to be pushed out by a new hair. They will eventually fall out and then that follicle will sit dormant for a few months before sprouting a new hair. It just sounds to me like you are going to be one of the slow-growers. From where you are right now until the 6-month mark is a bitch of a time, but from what I have read about your surgeon, you will be very happy in 8 months. good luck.

hey Fed...not sure if Hugh is correct or not here...there are some folks who lose hardly any of their grafts, such as WerewolfHead, and others like me that lose almost all of em..give it time...

I noticed after a recent haircut, that the grafted hair is now growing slower than the pre-existing hair..the new grafted hair is similar to hair that comes back on people that have gone through chemotherapy...very thin and curly or kinky at first..but eventually it thickens over time...seems like everyone goes through the same process....just be patient..the fun REALLy starts around month three....

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Don't worry too much. Patience is crucial. You basically just had an organ pulled out of one part of your body and placed in another. It takes some time for it to get past the stress, settle down, get use to the new environment, and start growing.

Foxlox