Help....I need your advice!

Hello all,

New to the site as a member, have been viewing as a guest a couple of weeks now! You guys seem to know more about the area of hair loss that I do so I come in search of advice! I am from Ireland and am considering having a HT since a meeting with my GP. I went to him for advice on non-surgical solutions to hair loss and he referred to me one of the highly regarded hair surgeons in Ireland, Dr Maurice Collins. I looked into it and found a consulation with him costs ??????¬350 (or $520)!! Thats just for a consultation! Having done a bit more digging on here and a message to Pat I realise now he costs roughly 3 times more than the best of the best in the US!!

So what I would love your thoughts/answers on is as follows:

1. Being 24 am I too young for a HT? I can tell for definite that I am going to have the same pattern baldness as my father. Have already significant hairloss from hairline and some from vertex!

2. Post op how long would you need to take off work? Is there a requirement to shave the area receiving the transplanted hair, therefore leaving you with fully grown hair at the back donor area and none on the top receiving area?

3. Who is the best of the best in Europe? Read on here about a miracle worker in Belgium, Dr Devroye, really considering flying over for a consult as he seems very good! Anyone with personal experiences of the work he does?

Below is a pic of my current hair situation!

Thanks lads, welcome all comments and appreciate any advice you can share!

IMG_1552.JPG.6f40e59630a784eceb521d4427f432fb.JPG

Hello all,

New to the site as a member, have been viewing as a guest a couple of weeks now! You guys seem to know more about the area of hair loss that I do so I come in search of advice! I am from Ireland and am considering having a HT since a meeting with my GP. I went to him for advice on non-surgical solutions to hair loss and he referred to me one of the highly regarded hair surgeons in Ireland, Dr Maurice Collins. I looked into it and found a consulation with him costs ??????¬350 (or $520)!! Thats just for a consultation! Having done a bit more digging on here and a message to Pat I realise now he costs roughly 3 times more than the best of the best in the US!!

So what I would love your thoughts/answers on is as follows:

1. Being 24 am I too young for a HT? I can tell for definite that I am going to have the same pattern baldness as my father. Have already significant hairloss from hairline and some from vertex!

2. Post op how long would you need to take off work? Is there a requirement to shave the area receiving the transplanted hair, therefore leaving you with fully grown hair at the back donor area and none on the top receiving area?

3. Who is the best of the best in Europe? Read on here about a miracle worker in Belgium, Dr Devroye, really considering flying over for a consult as he seems very good! Anyone with personal experiences of the work he does?

Below is a pic of my current hair situation!

Thanks lads, welcome all comments and appreciate any advice you can share!

careabouthair-

Welcome to the HTN.

From a previous post to a gentleman in a similar situation, in terms of age (<25 yoa):

At your age the most non surgical, proactive behavior you could engage in to control your hair loss would be to:

1.) Get on finasteride (less expensive to ask your HT surgeon for Proscar 5mg, and break that tab into 1/4's and take 1/4 tab (=1.25mg) per day;

2.) Begin minoxidil (Foam is less "greasy"), and I would recommend the 5%. If you experience redness and irritation, you could go down to the 2%, but that would be the exception (redness and irritation)

As for surgical intervention, the above meds should be taken for a year, in an effort to stabilize your hairloss; (yep- it takes a year to fully realize what effect those meds will have on you personally), prior to considering any surgical plan. At your age you have significant loss already, and to jump in and try and recreate your previous look would place a great demand on your donor supply (which is FINITE), possibly to the point of depletion, with the demand (from an overzealous 1st procedure, e.g., "low hairline" or "improperly receded" temporal design, etc) exceeding the supply. This is even more crucial when addressing the crown area, as this may become a "black hole" in terms of continued loss...

Best to be very conservative, surgically, at your age.

Hope that helps-

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Mid 20's is not too young if you have a history of MPB and have already experience some stages of it.

Charging for a consultation is crazy. That tells me that doctor isnt doing enough cases/surgeries to make money, so he charges consult fees so he can pay his vacation home,ect.

Some docs like to shave the head as it is easier and faster for them. But most give the option to the patient. I have never shaved my head. The donor area that is shaved is just for what strip is removed, upon closure you can not see anything.

Best of luck.

SMOOTHY

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin shampoo line

Zrii 3 oz daily

Dr Carman/Smoothy

Greatly appreciate your responses, think I am going to go for a consultation in Belgium but going to get on fin first, can understand why it wuld be important to employ some non surgical methods first before pursuing the HT.

Many thanks again

Mate i'm 23 and havin a ht in Oct, i think if your bald enough your old enough icon_smile.gif

Its kinda a cliche on these boards but don't let geography be a factor in who you chose as your surgeon. Dr Devroye is highly respected but make sure you check an array of different surgeons in the US and Canada out before you make a decision.

True that folicallychallenged, going to start looking into some of them in the US, especially with the value in the dollar at the moment. Especially going to research the ones in the US that are recommended on this site, must be recommended here for a reason.

If you can think of any yourself that you would recommend I would love to hear about them. Do you need to travel also for your HT?