McNamara's hair loss

Robert McNamara died today. I always was intrigued by his hair loss pattern. As an adult man, it appeared he had his hairline intact with no visible balding. But it looks like he went from a NW1 to a NW7 in just a couple of years. Here are some comparison shots. This kind of balding scares the s*** out of me.

robert-mcnamara.jpg.e0465782eac0e2e9fcef7dc6c315a711.jpg

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Robert McNamara died today. I always was intrigued by his hair loss pattern. As an adult man, it appeared he had his hairline intact with no visible balding. But it looks like he went from a NW1 to a NW7 in just a couple of years. Here are some comparison shots. This kind of balding scares the s*** out of me.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

No doubt these 2 pics are quite some years apart. Let's remember the values at 40 are a bit different at 70

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Also, I don't know about you guys, but once I have gray hair I don't think I'll really care about being bald. For some reason, baldness looks more passable on a guy with gray hair. Maybe its because a lot more people are bald at that age. Or maybe its because the white hair blends in with the scalp, while colored hair contrasts with it.

Unfortunately, gray is a good 30 years away for me, while NW6 is more like 7-8.

What if McNamara had a transplant done in his forties? Not plugs, but the state of the art HT that many doctors here are not performing on a daily basis.

aaron1234,

I totally understand where you're coming from. Anyone who is not concerned with Secretary McNamara's hair loss pattern is either very confident in medicine and his family history, or very foolish. I do not think that losing your hair so severely so late in life is common, but it is possible. Odds are good that if he had undergone a transplant at age 50 or 60 his scar would have been very visible, and a majority of the transplanted hairs would have fallen out. I personally believe that the reason this topic has received so few responses is because nobody likes to be reminded of the downside of anything. Nobody likes a critic, a Negative Nancy, or a cynic, but hair transplantation carries future risks that even the best of doctors cannot predict. This is merely a visual reminder of what may happen in the future.