Any suggestions? I am 6 days post-op and my donor area and ht area are a little itchy, what can I do?

I am not itching,but a little rub once in a while. Taking a shower and washing my hair seems to help,but I just do that in the morning. Can we wash our hair a couple of times a day? I am looking to get the best results snd my other question is it better to wash my hair everyday or every other day. I have been using Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo since its the mildest I could find for my new baby hairs... Lol

I am not itching,but a little rub once in a while. Taking a shower and washing my hair seems to help,but I just do that in the morning. Can we wash our hair a couple of times a day? I am looking to get the best results snd my other question is it better to wash my hair everyday or every other day. I have been using Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo since its the mildest I could find for my new baby hairs... Lol

djdennis, I personally didn't want to compromise my grafts with anything! I was advised to use a pure, no-perfume shampoo after the shampoo the clinic gave me ran out. I bought "Naturelle" non-perfume/hypoallergenic just to be safe at a beauty supply store, and I'm still using it 6.3 months postop. After 2-plus months postop I started using "Tricomin" a spray with Copper Peptides. It was the only other thing I would use in trying to continue healing while trying to hopefully reduce redness in the recepient area because of its healing potential.

djdennis,

Unfortuantely, the itch is part of the experience. However, there are some things you can do to minimize it.

Yes, you can shower twice a day. In fact, at around day 6 was when I started showering twice a day both to help alleviate itch of the donor but to start working the scabs off gently. Be sure to follow your doctor's postoperative instructions.

Nioxin conditioner was also a Godsend in the donor area as it helps cool the scalp giving it a tingling sensation which helps with the itch (though temporary).

Other members have mentioned Aloe. That helps temporarily too.

Best wishes,

Bill

I used a combination of Aloe, Hydrocortisone/benadryl spray.

After the wound healed; about two weeks I have applied Emu Oil 2x/day.

I found the Aloe a bit irritaing so I guess try what works best for you.