General question

Hey guys, been researching this site for quite a while now, and it's more informative than most other tools i have come across.

I have one question that has been on my mind for a while now. Everytime you ask someone (including doctors), they tell you the same thing, you need just 2 weeks down time, and you should be ready to go back to work after HT. I know that is a general statement, so let's say a month, tops. Problem is, almost all the pics i have seen of HTs tell me that anything less than 3 months is going to leave you looking like a freak (sorta). i mean your side and back are long to conceal the scar, top (since most docs shave thse days) can barely grow to less than an inch, add in shock loss. if someone has diffused thinning on top, and uses concealers like toppik and such before HT, at one month, you might as well rent a billboard in Times Square announcing your HT. I was looking at some recent pics posted by Dr. feller (he is the one i would go with as of now), and it totally is in line with my concerns. Is there anyone out there who had more than 3000 grafts, had to shave the top for HT, and still was able to "completely" conceal their HT after one month, or heck, even two?

So, please help me understand this. What is the real down time? that is the only thing stopping me right now. if i could have enough hair after 2 months to use toppik and dermatch, i would go to Dr. Feller tomorrow.

some responses please, even if its just to state the obvious that, "dude, it depends"

Paris

Hey guys, been researching this site for quite a while now, and it's more informative than most other tools i have come across.

I have one question that has been on my mind for a while now. Everytime you ask someone (including doctors), they tell you the same thing, you need just 2 weeks down time, and you should be ready to go back to work after HT. I know that is a general statement, so let's say a month, tops. Problem is, almost all the pics i have seen of HTs tell me that anything less than 3 months is going to leave you looking like a freak (sorta). i mean your side and back are long to conceal the scar, top (since most docs shave thse days) can barely grow to less than an inch, add in shock loss. if someone has diffused thinning on top, and uses concealers like toppik and such before HT, at one month, you might as well rent a billboard in Times Square announcing your HT. I was looking at some recent pics posted by Dr. feller (he is the one i would go with as of now), and it totally is in line with my concerns. Is there anyone out there who had more than 3000 grafts, had to shave the top for HT, and still was able to "completely" conceal their HT after one month, or heck, even two?

So, please help me understand this. What is the real down time? that is the only thing stopping me right now. if i could have enough hair after 2 months to use toppik and dermatch, i would go to Dr. Feller tomorrow.

some responses please, even if its just to state the obvious that, "dude, it depends"

Paris

Hello Paris,

You made some absolutely tremedous points and the answer, unfortunately really does depend. With a name like Paris, the first thing I'm going to ask is if you are male or female? Don't be insulted by the question...but depending on whether you are male or female will yield different answers. I'm going to assume you're a man because of the "dude it depends" statement.

That being said, you are absolutely right....if the recipient area is shaved it will take awhile for you to look "normal" again depending on what you define as normal. I just got back from a 3701 graft megasession from Hasson and Wong so right now I"m in that boat. I'm only Day 6, however, I've had 2 HTs before so I've been around the block a bit and know how this all works.

I'll answer the question this way...

1. Between 3-5 days you may get some swelling....it will most likely be gone entirely by about day 5 or 6. You can't avoid it if it happens...don't go out...just stay in and look in the mirror and laugh and have fun with it. It is only temporary icon_wink.gif

2. After about 7-10 days most of the scabs should be gone from your head so your recipient area will look a bit pink, but scabs will be gone

3. After about 10-14 days, you can take the sultures/staples out. If you want to look somewhat normal at this point, shave the rest of your head to match the top...this will give you the appearance of looking somewhat normal but with a shaved head (which might not be normal for you, but normal for others). The only thing different is your scar in the back will be noticable...it depends on how "ok" you are with that.

4. After about 2-4 weeks, you will start and finish losing most of the grafts that were transplanted....you will look more like you did before any surgery. Most pinkness should be close to gone by about 4 weeks also. To look somewhat normal, you are still going to have to sport a short hairdo....personally, my best advice is keep it buzzed or short for awhile

5. About 5-8 weeks, a lot of people, including myself start to experience shockloss in the recipient area and the donor area...this will give the appearance of thinner hair and balding...plus makes the scar area look more prominent. I'm sorry to say...there is nobody who can guarantee this won't happen.

6. About 3-4 months, most people start growing in their new hair, and a lot of shockloss also starts to recover, especially in the donor area. Still, to remain looking normal, I'd keep the hair short until about 4 months

7. 4 months +, you're pretty homefree looking normal. This is where I would start go allow my hair to grow longer to allow the new growth to look the part and allow the donor area to be slightly more covered again.

So...my friend...I'm not sure if this helps you...but there really isn't any definition of normal when you talk about this. You can look pretty normal right off the bat, minimum 6 days to account for swelling to go down by wearing a baseball cap or bandana everywhere you go. But with this process, you will not be able to go out hatless for quite sometime without something just not looking right for some time. But you have to look at the long term picture. If you are too worried about the short term...you might not want to go through with it...but in the long term, you'll have a lot more hair. So best advice...find ways to conceal your head after the surgery for sometime if you can get away with it. The best way to camoflauge is a hat...because nobody can see anything under there....you could try a hairpiece, but most people will notice that, no matter how hard you try to make it perfect. Does this help?

Bill

Bill, i am a guy.

thanks for the detailed response. you are right. normal is subjective.

Put it this way, if my recipient area is shaved, and say anywhere between 3000 and 4000 grafts, how much time until my head starts looking at least like what it did before surgery, in terms of amount of hair on top, and length.

i don't know if that clarifies my question a bit. thanks again all.

Funny I almost started with "Dude, it depends"...icon_wink.gif

PC,

What it depends on is three things, first how much native hair you have left-if you do not have a lot of native hair to come back and cover up the "weird" phase (days 1-60 for me) that all with shaven recipient areas will go through (regardless of doctor-via ultra refined method) your looking around 2-3months at least. Second how fast your hair normally grows -if you have slow rate of hair growth in general, lets say a haircut every two months vs fast -haircut every three weeks to a months. You should think more along the lines of 3 to 5 months vs 1 to 2. Finally your body's natural speed of recovery and skin color/hair contrast aspects will be pivotal. Some experience pinkness in recipient areas many months after their ht some have a red scar so you see why it depends.

Me:

Before: My last two years all under a hat I own at least 25, can't believe I have to find a box for them now...use to wake up and look for my hat...sad really.

Day 1 -15 would not want to be out with out a hat, Sam Cassell any body?

Day 15-30 looking really really weird (only scar/shock loss an issue by day 29 for me)

Day 30-45 looking by far worse then ever...ahhhhhhh (bald wise) - the what have I done phase I look back and call it.

Day 45-60 you can get by with out a hat but looks wise things still kinda suck

Day 60-75 hat is gone looking better then before just not good and not weird -I'll take it

Day 75-90 hat is gone and I'm less worried that some one will notice, almost fearless but not yet.

Day 90-100 all good in the hood brother, I am going on a date this Friday and I am feeling fairly bullet proof.....man I haven't even thought that way in a long long time-Priceless.

Day 100+ see what the future holds.

Good luck to you PC,

P.s Bill- you have really been giving back to the forum in the last few days since your third and possible last ht for a long time, thanks for the kind words and being a real person. I have really enjoyed your posts and wish you nothing but killer growth/healing, can't wait to see your crown in 8months or so.

PC,

I had 4000+ and just hit the one month mark. I had nothing to hide under..NW6. It's is pretty much undectecable at this point. You can view my one month pics.

Bayscholar:

Thanks for the chronological order... I took notes. icon_smile.gif Still in the hat zone.

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Paris,

Ok, I thought you were a dude, but I had to be sure right? icon_wink.gif

Based on what you said, it still depends. Take this into consideration with my last post: Hair grows about 1/2 inch per month on the average. So if your head is shaved, and you typically wear your hair 4 inches long, it will take you 8 months to grow it that long. If you don't mind wearing a shorter cut, it will be much shorter of a length of time. But by about 1 month, the top of your head should be healed of all pinkness (some stay pink longer), and your hair will look relatively normal, just short.

Bay,

Thanks to you buddy. I really enjoy being a part of this forum and I've really enjoyed and will continue to enjoy talking with you icon_wink.gif. I also wish you the best of luck and good growth my friend!

Bill