Have you guys heard of "ridging"?

HI Guys

Have you ever heard of the term ridging? I think it may have something to do with infected ingrowns. I have this lump in the recipient area and it doesnt seem to go down at all. I try running my head under hot water to soften the scalp, (even tried squeezing it)(gross, i know), and treating it with an antibiotic ointment.

I have also noticed that my scalp is red and irritated in the recipient area. Remember, i was the dumbass that had the 590 grafts at Bosley 2 months ago.

I am scared that I may have caused myself permanent damage.

Does this sound like alarm for concern?

Thanks Allot

jenn

HI Guys

Have you ever heard of the term ridging? I think it may have something to do with infected ingrowns. I have this lump in the recipient area and it doesnt seem to go down at all. I try running my head under hot water to soften the scalp, (even tried squeezing it)(gross, i know), and treating it with an antibiotic ointment.

I have also noticed that my scalp is red and irritated in the recipient area. Remember, i was the dumbass that had the 590 grafts at Bosley 2 months ago.

I am scared that I may have caused myself permanent damage.

Does this sound like alarm for concern?

Thanks Allot

jenn

No, it was not follicular unit HT, it was either mini or micro grafting. I did not learn of the appropriate procedure until it was a little late....do you have any info that may be helpful?

Thanks

Jenn

• 1 month later...

Jenn,

I eco Arfy's comments. I probably isnt a big deal. From a person who has had many HT experience, your "bump" at the receip sit is common. Continue to apply hot compress-- not just hot water=but get a "hot pack" to compress the site. Continue to apply the antibiotic cream you have. DO NOT PINCH OR SQUEEZE IT-- this could couse truma to other grafts in the area (I know you said you already did this but dont do it anymore). After 24 hours of constent hot compression you the site should go down or "release" the infection (it is nasty but debreying the site might be needed). IF after 24 hours of of treatment with heat and your cream, it does not get better. I would go immediately to a local dematologist (they are used to seeing HT patients and these types of issues post op) LIke Arfy, the redness concerns me. Redness other than natural post op redness which is usually all over the HT site, is usually a sign of infection that your own body is attacking. If it spreads (redness gets bigger) go to a doctor ASAP to protect your other grafts. At this time I dont believe you have anything to worry about but keep an eye on it and go see a dematologist to be on the safe side.

In my view you should just leave them alone. What you can try is "Fucidin" it is very expensive but works excellent.

Also from what I understand hydrogen Peroxicde destroys hair folicules in the same manner as seawater or pool water. I would NOT use it period. After a year is a differnt story.

• Administrators

Jenn,

I'm not familiar with the term "ridging". But it is not uncommon for patients to have some amount of "folliculitis", which is essentialy an ingrown hair follicle. This can occur even with all FU surgery. I had it to some degree with at least one of my procedures. And I treated it (popped it) effectively just like a zit to relieve the pressure and healed right up. I do not think it affected the surrounding grafts. In fact, it may have helped by keeping it from enlarging.

However, if it does persist contact one of the quality surgeons on this site and they can prescribe an antibiotic to help treat it if need be.

Best wishes, Pat

Sharing our ideas and photos is what keeps this site real. Please participate by posting and replying.

And for one on one advise visit our "Hair Mentor" program on the Home page.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

I agree, it does sound like folliculitis. Warm compresses can help the pustules, but you may require a systemic & a topical antibiotic. I know that my lesions responded favorably to minocycline 100mg twice daily & clindamycin 1% twice daily. Both agents are available generically. It may take awhile to for an initial consult w/ a dermatologist. If so, seek out a doc-in-a-box, as they usually adept @ treating common dermatological conditions.

I agree that this is probably not ridging. Ridging is a raised "ridge" along the frontal hairline do to deep fibrosis. Some people are just prone to it but usually it is due to deep irritation. It was not uncommon it patients with plug grafts but is very rare in patients with follicular unit grafting.

It sounds more likely that you have a graft that is buried or upside down. This usually becomes irritated near the 3 month mark when hairs start to become active. It would be best to see the doctor that did the transplant. If not, see a dermatologist as he might need to do a small lancing and draining procedure, and possibly put you on a short course of antibiotics. I wouldn't let it go, because it could do some slight damage to surrounding grafts if left untreated. This is not terribly uncommon and, if treated, is not a great significance.

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network