HT wtih Dr Harris age 25

Hi Guys,

I am 25... and have lost a lot of hair on the crown and in between Norwood scale 4-5. So I met with Dr James Harris in Denver regarding a possible HT. I am currently on Propecia/NIzoral/Rogaine.

Dr Harris suggested that there is no difference whether I went through HT now or 10 years later. He says shock loss is more only if there is not much space between hair follicles and since I have a lot of space between hair follicles, he says it should not matter if I get a HT done now or later.

He also says since he can see that I will be completely bald in next few years in the crown, there is not much to loose for me if I went for HT now.

So what are the biggest concerns of going through HT if you are under 30?

I am seriously considering HT at this point but wanted some input from you guys.

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice in advance.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I am 25... and have lost a lot of hair on the crown and in between Norwood scale 4-5. So I met with Dr James Harris in Denver regarding a possible HT. I am currently on Propecia/NIzoral/Rogaine.

Dr Harris suggested that there is no difference whether I went through HT now or 10 years later. He says shock loss is more only if there is not much space between hair follicles and since I have a lot of space between hair follicles, he says it should not matter if I get a HT done now or later.

He also says since he can see that I will be completely bald in next few years in the crown, there is not much to loose for me if I went for HT now.

So what are the biggest concerns of going through HT if you are under 30?

I am seriously considering HT at this point but wanted some input from you guys.

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice in advance.

Thanks

mercuree,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've taken the right start to combat hair loss using your current regimen. How long have you been with them? Have they been helping?

I reviewed Dr. Harris' website and couldn't get the detail I would like to have seen nor do I remember seeing results from him. You may want to check out the Coalition Surgeons recommended by this site. They each offer an excellent skill set and proven results.

Do you have any pictures you can share of your current situation? One thing you need to keep in mind as you consider a HT..............At a NW 4 or 5, you're going to need lots of grafts. Without seeing your pics it's difficult to estimate, but, before my 2 HT's totaling just over 5000 grafts I was considered NW 4 + and now have what I would consider "decent coverage all over with a slightly receeding hairline.

There have been many people here at your age that have had HT's.....people will differ on whether or not that's too young. Whatever you choose, you need to think conservatively. If you're NW 4 or 5 at age 25, you may be heading to NW 6 or 7 so you'll need to at least plan as if you may end up that way. I slightly disagree with the statement that it makes no difference whether you do the HT now or in 10 years because you never know how your progression will go. Many refer to genetics.......i.e. mothers side, fathers side, sister, brother...........there's NO way to predict it for sure.

Using the Propecia/Nizoral/Rogaine regiment will likely help you minimize shock loss but it still may occur anyway. There's no way to be sure. The crown takes the most amount of grafts to cover well so if yours is "going to be bald in the next few years" you need to be realistic about your approach.

If I were you, I'd consult with some of the Coalition Docs recommended here and see what they say. If you need big numbers and donor hair is in supply, go somewhere that can deliver as many grafts as possible in one session. It's best all the way around including financially as most places discount the grafts after the first 2000 or so.

Concerns for HT's under the age of 30?:

-running out of donor hair due to "unknowns" of future loss severity

-permanent shock loss of existing native hair

-no true picture of how far your loss will go

-financial strain----HT's are expensive. My 5000 + grafts cost $15,100 total

I hope this information is of some help to you. If you're still thinking of going to Dr. Harris you may want to see if he can deliver sessions of 4000 or more because that's what you're likely going to need. Again, I STRONGLY recommend you review the list of Coalition Surgeons for some consultations by sending pics then talking by phone with them. Much time and effort has gone into developing this list of the "best of the best". Don't let location factor in. In many cases they will provide your airfare and hotel stay (or an equivalent graft credit) so the travel is no big deal. I flew to Vancouver, BC from Illinois for HT #2 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey Guys, Dr. Harris uses the "SAFE" method for FUE transplantation and does up to 3000 FUE sessions in one day.

It is my understanding that his methods are extremely labor intensive and significantly reduce transection rates.

I am under the impression that he only does strip surgeries in certain cases, but I am not positive.

While I am certainly not here to plug Dr. Harris, he is well regarded in the HT community, and to be honest I am not sure why he is not in the Coalition. Perhaps he simply does not care to seek entrance?

Anyway, I would certainly follow through with a consult that maps out a LONG TERM plan for today and 3-5 years down the road, including costs.

Then, as Hairbank suggests, I would consult with a couple of Coalition Docs in order to get a "feel" for differences that may or may not exist.

After that, make an informed decision and proceed.

Feel free to post your thoughts and questions as you experience each consult, and those of us that have traveled the path will offer some advice to help you out.

I hope this helps you out, and please keep us informed as to your impressions/intentions.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks very much Hairbank, Spot B. I will try to put in my pics tonight when I get home.

Spot B : what do you mean "It is my understanding that his methods are extremely labor intensive and significantly reduce transection rates"? Is that good or bad?

Thanks

Mercuree,

You've gotten some outstanding advice so far and I can't really add much. The only thing I'll comment on is that the concerns hairbank laid out for you for HTs for people under 30 can also apply to people over 30 as well...just so you know icon_wink.gif

"it is my understanding that his methods are extremely labor intensive and significantly reduces transection rates"

His post is a good thing...you don't want hair follicle transection. Transection of hair follicles will kill them, so you want minimal to no hair follicle transection during a surgery. The fact that his methods are labor intensive simply means that he's willing to take the time and energy to give you a good transplant. Now I'm going here by word of mout that what B Spot is saying is true...I've done no research on this particular doctor so I can't say. But B Spot has been a true source of genuine information so he will not lead you astray icon_wink.gif. HOWEVER, just as I tell anyone else...make sure you do your OWN research to double check everyone...taking someone's word for it is ok, but the "proof is in the pudding".

I really think I should have that written in my signature icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

Bill

mercuree,

The pic isn't great but, based on what I see, you'll need much more than he's recommending. As a matter of fact, IMO, if you want the crown and midscalp covered with any reasonable appearance of density, you may need as many as 5000 grafts. Mind you, this is all a guesstimate which is why I would consult with some of the Coalition Surgeons to get their input.

From the pic, your loss appears to extend almost all the way through your temples..........severly diffused thinning. I'd get a 2nd and 3rd opinion, at the least, if I were you.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Merc-- given your hair type I wonder which transplantation method Dr. Harris is employing?

Strip or FUE?

Also, did Dr. Harris recommend that you start with a 2200 to 2600 graft session, and then look for another session of the same size a year later?

I would like to remind you that you can send some quality photos to Coalition Docs, just to see what they say. Then compare and contrast.

I hope this helps you out.

Please let us know how things are going and what options you are weighing, etc...

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Dr Harris suggested that about 2600 drafts will placed from top of the forehead to about near the back of the crown. He said this is a conservative surgery because he did not want to jam too many drafts and cause severe shock loss. He also told me it is difficult to get high density with these many drafts, but that this many drafts would be good first surgery. I dont think he has tried to mask any thing from him. I met a couple of his patients, and they seem happy about his service. I have also ready a little about Dr Harris in this forum albeit slightly old posts. In all honesty, I am considering an HT with Dr Harris at this point. I will send in some photos to coalition surgeons for thier viewpoint.

Thanks