Complete HT Reversal

New member here with a question. Is it possible to do a complete hair transplant reversal? I would like to remove the 100 or mini/micro graphs I got back in 1993 and replace them BACK in the donar area to conceal the scar.

Anybody know of a doctor that specializes in this? I no longer care about coverage - I just want to get the plugs removed or replaced back in the donar area. I wear my hair shaved to a 0 blade and plan to keep it that way so that's why I would like the plugs replaced back in the donar/scar area.

My scar is very thin (less than pencil in width) and about 4 inches long.

What do you guys think?

While it's possible to improve your situation, total undetection may not be achievable. I would do a search on the forum for the best surgeons to do the repair/revision work. The veteran members should be able to advise you, I would also sent a private message to Pat (the founder of this forum) since he has personally whitnessed many surgeries.

IronHead,

I'll be honest...I don't know of anyone who has done something like this...though I'm not saying it can't be done. BUT, the only way to remove the plugs would be surgically, as in, FUE, and it's very possible you will be left with scars on top of your head. In other words, even if you do find a doctor that will do it...you will not achieve 100% naturalness. It honestly MIGHT not be the best move.

However, since there have been vast improvement since 1993, you could always consider another HT with the new technology to give you an improved look. Mini/Micro grafts are no longer used by top physicians. You could look into getting another strip surgery where they use the trichophytic closure which allows hairs to grow through the scar (just as good as getting hairs transplanted into the scar) and yield a much more full and natural looking result on top.

Bill

I agree with Bill that this might be a little dicey and I'm sure quite expensive. You would have to undergoe Fue where they would extract the hairs from the recipient area and then transplant them along the scar in the donor area. They would prbably use laser therapy or microderm abrasion to try and limit the scars from the recipient area. It might turn out OK. It sounds like you wouldn't have enough micrografts to extract and then cover the scar, so I'm not sure how they would go about trying to conceal the donor scar as best as possible.

Irregardless, I'm sure that you might find a doc willing to give it a try but I honestly don't believe that you will be totally happy with the results. Either way, there will almost always be some indication of previous work. This is why we sometimes almost beg people to try alternatives to HT first because once you go forward there is no turning back.

Best of luck.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Thanks for all the info. The tricho closure seems like it may be my best choice. In any case, the graphs have to go. I think it would be a mistake to try to conceal them with FUE because they are way too pluggy. Right now I'm favoring the tricho for the donar scar and with perhaps some FUE to hide the pitted scarring on the headline.

Any doctor recommendations for the Tricho closure? Also, will it completely hide the scar? Although my head is shaved at this time (Blade 0) the scar is not noticeable with a #3 blade cut. I suppose hoping for the scar to be concealed via tricho even with a 0 blade cut is asking for too much?

Lastly, anyone know of the ht doctor Distefano or has had work done with him? I am hearing mixed views on him. I hear his work is good but he rushes you? I live in the Boston area but will travel.

Ironhead,

Unfortunately, no matter what you do, you will never 100% be able to hide the scar at such a short length. Many doctors have done amazing work to conceal the plugs by placing follicular units around them...look up repair work for various doctors.

I never heard of the doctor you mentioned...perhaps others have. But let me advise you...it's best to go with a sure thing...find a world class doctor who has done amazing work...remember, you want to improve your situation...not take a risk and make it worse.

Bill

Ironhead,

I am going thru some minor plug repair right now. I am continuing with restoring my hair on top rather than complete reversal. I keep my hair long enough to cover my scars in back. I opted to have about 15 or so plugs removed and filled in between the rest with FUT.

In your case, if you want to eliminated the plugs in front, you have a few options. The scar revision via tricho may help but unfortunately will still not allow you to go down to a zero guard without it being detectable.

Your plugs can be laser removed which would not allow transfer to the scar and I hear the hair grows back sometimes and repeated procedures are needed. You can remove via FUE and transfer to the scar. You need to know that you will not get 100% survival of the grafts once placed into the scar. You could have transection during removal and then planting the into scar tissue is not the best growing conditions for the graft. You can also have the plugs cored out (FUE on a larger diameter) and the grafts recycled and put back into the scar. The open hole can be sutured or left to heal on its own, depending on its size.

I had some of my plugs punched out and then the plugs were recycled into FU's. My doctor has extensive experience in repair and in my case left the punched area to heal without sutures. This concerned me at first but when he showed me photos of it done each way, I trusted his judgement. Sometimes the plugs are sutured which leaves a small linear scar. Since I am continuing to restore my hair, suturing the holes closed would have caused damage to existing hair I had in between and increased tension in the area which would not be good for the newly planted grafts. Additional tension can cause planted grafts to "pop" out. I am 11 days post op and I was very afraid of how these open holes would heal. I can tell you, and I will post pics later, that I am healing great. The plug scabs shrunk each day and some are completly gone. In a few days they will not be visible at all.

I guess I just wanted to let you know that this way may be an option. If you could give a few more details as to: # of plugs, plug size, # of surgeries and photos, that would really help. You can PM me if you like.

Good luck,

NoBuzz

• 2 years later...

I am currently at a NW4 level, and have used up a hell of a lot of donor hair on my forelock, I will be going to see multiple renowned doctors for repair work in fall to inquire if I have enough donor to to make it look natural when I go to a NW6 (which is coming soon I notice when I get out of the shower). I have also inquired on Cole and Bernstein for the complete reversal technique if I am to get bad news from the repair doctors consultation. I would love to be able to move my hairline up so as to me more natural when NW6 starts to kick in. Anyone have any suggestions how I can make a full forelock look natural with not enough donor to fill in the scalp behind it?

Whats Up - Can you post some pictures dude so people can advise you best? Some people naturally have a forelock that hangs in there when hair behind it is gone but not sure of the pattern you currently have, it sounds like you think it won't look natural if you let this happen in your case.

What you are describing is done fairly commonly, though less in recent years than it was 10 years ago. It usually requires two sessions to remove all of the offending hairs. Usually the ones in the crown/vertex are the ones that most urgently need to be removed.

The other point I wanted to make is that, if your scalp is smooth and not very ruddy and shows small imperfections, then, when all the grafts have been removed, often laser resurfacing or dermabrasion will give a smooth, undetectable appearance to the scalp surface where the grafts were removed. So often it is a three-stage operation to accomplish what you are describing.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

You can remove them via fue, which will leave scarring, and have them placed back into the donor.

OR you can have them removed via laser or electrolysis, they leave no scar, and they DO work 100% in permanent hair removal, speaking from experience.

gl!

Perhaps I didn't make it very clear, but with old plugs in the crown/vertex, after punching them out with a large punch (3.0mm is my favorite), it is necessary to place a tiny suture in each one and close them and not let them heal openly. Not suturing them would leave very noticeable white scars everywhere. I tailor the size of punch to use to the area being taken up by the hairs in any given graft, often using 3 different sizes and matching them up size-wise. It's a tedious business, but in the end almost anyone can be made to look fairly natural looking when it's all completed.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

I know someone who had quite a few 2000ish removed by Dr. Cole in Atlanta, after a couple months the removed area is smooth but there are still red marks at the location that they were removed, he is still trying to find dermatologists to treat the donor scar though