Dr. Paul Cotterill

Hi all,

My first post.

I'm in Ontario and my choices are (in no particular order):

1. Dr. Rahal

2. Dr. Jones

3. Dr. Cotterill

4. Dr. Simmons

I was going through Dr. Cotterill's website and he has an impressive medical background and qualifications.

However, I don't see much mention of him here. Nobody here has any opinion (+ve or -ve) about his work or getting a HR from him?

I did do a forum search and it seems like he used to be recommended here sometime back (in Feb 2007)......

Thanks.

Hi all,

My first post.

I'm in Ontario and my choices are (in no particular order):

1. Dr. Rahal

2. Dr. Jones

3. Dr. Cotterill

4. Dr. Simmons

I was going through Dr. Cotterill's website and he has an impressive medical background and qualifications.

However, I don't see much mention of him here. Nobody here has any opinion (+ve or -ve) about his work or getting a HR from him?

I did do a forum search and it seems like he used to be recommended here sometime back (in Feb 2007)......

Thanks.

Would be hard pressed, imo, to find someone to advise you to zero in on anyone other than Rahal from that list. His work is phenominal, and w/ HTs the truth really is in the pudding.

Don't know much about the others, though if Simmon's was "recommended", but now is not, that would concern me; which isn't to say I would rule him out, or that he doesn't do good work, but it would certaintly raise a question of concern.

Either way, Rahal by all accounts is exceptional, and at the end of the day you want to go to the guy who you *know* is going to deliver you a superior HT w/ as good a chance of success as is possible.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks for the reply.

But this raises some questions in my mind:

1. Was there some incident or customer complaint that Dr. Cotterill's recommendation was revoked?

2. Are these recommendations made in return for some kind of payment/reimbursement? I couldn't find any disclosure on that topic on this website.

I've done by reading and I see very good recommendations for Dr. Rahal. However, and not to take anything away from him, I am open to exploring other options as well.

I specifically asked about Dr.Cotterill since he was President, ISHRS and seems to have a very good medical background.

Thanks.

I really have no knowledege of what may have caused Cotterill to be recommended and then revoked; just that, if it did happen, it would most definitely be based off of poor performance and results, possibly ethics which almost always ties into the other stuff. At the end of the day, that is all this site is about, and is all any of us should really care about -- results, and who can deliver the best and be the most consistent.

Q #2 I have read up on before, and seen disclosed; I honestly don't really recall the specifics so I won't even take a guess, but whatever I did read didn't alarm me at all othewise I'd either not be here or would have at least remembered! haha

As I hinted in my first post, and reiterated above, I would be primely concerned with who is going to deliver you the best HT -- whether they were president of X, or graduated summa cum from Harvard, really should be of a little importance, insofar as it relates to their results and skill/artistry.

Keep researching, by all means, but I would focus on results and how that relates to your prospects -- if at the end of the day you feel more confident in Cotterill's than Rahal's go to the former.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

"the technique he was performing was basically micro/mini grafting" -- that about sums it up. Not up to par w/ what else is out there would be an understatement. It could have changed in the past three months, but obv it prolly' didn't. Only one way to find out for sure, though! icon_smile.gif

-----------

I am uncertain of all of the details also, but who cares--go with Dr. Rahal. I don't mean to be so blunt but they are only a few hours apart from each other and definitely Dr. Rahal is top 5 in the world. He is also one of the least expensive. What a combination that is!!!

I will be one of the first to tell people to explore options but there is not a comparison between Dr. Cotteril and Dr. Rahal. This is a cosmetic surgery that you are going to put on display for all to see so make a wise decision.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your due dilligence in finding the information.

I was about to post the same material but you have all beat me to it. Good job!

Based on Pat's latest review, in my opinion, I would consider other physicians at this time.

Minigrafting it an outdated procedure and should be avoided in my opinion.Bill

I interviewed Dr. Cotteril, Dr. Unger (who provided trainng to Dr. Cotteril) and Dr. Rahal...I am scheduled with Dr. Rahal on March 7th...I decided it was worth the 4 hour drive from just outside Toronto. I am correcting past HT's from the early 80's and mid nineties when technology was more primative, to say the least...at this point I want the best most undetectable hairline possible...and I have heard that this is what Dr. Rahal will deliver...enough said.

Guest josh - b

george,

Theres nothing wierd about it. The ishrs is a completely irrelavent organisation when it comes to guaging the quality of a physician.

Any hair restoration doctor can join it, regardless of his/hers skills or techniques.

Josh-b is correct that any physician performing HT's can join irregardless of the techniques employed. Sometimes the guys heading these organizations in any profession are doing so because they have more time available than others.(ie. they suck and have no patients/clients) Good decision to go to Ottawa. You owe us big time for convincing you. icon_smile.gif

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Good decision to go to Ottawa. You owe us big time for convincing you. icon_smile.gif
Let's see - I'm still nervous about this whole thing. Cosmetic surgery and the potential for being left dissatisfied with results (or worse) makes me quite nervous.

Plus, I'm only 30 and I don't want to keep doing this procedure again and again in my life. Who knows how my hair loss will progress, right?

Guest josh - b

george,

take a step back. Reading your last comments i would say that you are nowhere near ready for surgery.

First of all i would recommend that you research for at least six months. Stay posting here, ask as many questions as u like and u

will get good answers and solid advice. There is so much u should learn before u decide what to do.

How bad is your hairloss?

Are you taking meds to stabilise it?

If you have a pic that u can post that would help members here evaluate your situation.

George,

Josh is correct.

Research is vital to ensure you can make an educated decisions. There are risks with any surgery. Be sure to research and carefully weigh the benefits, risks, and limitations of hair transplant surgery.

If you do opt to undergo hair transplant surgery however, in my opinion, Dr. Rahal would certainly be an excellent choice.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by josh - b:

george,

take a step back. Reading your last comments i would say that you are nowhere near ready for surgery.

Thanks guys.

My problem is:

1. I'm not bald but extremely thin on my mid scalp. Cosmetically, I am not at all happy with how my head looks.

2. My window of opportunity is closing fast - if I have the procedure done now, within 6 months I'll have growth and nobody will know.

3. But then, who knows how it will be over the rest of my life - I'll probably lose more hair. Will I want to invest more money then? If I don't, will I look worse than if I never did the procedure? Will I regret doing the procedure in the first place?

4. On the flip side, if I go on meds, it may or may not work. But I think if it does work; I wouldn't need surgery.

Guys - I'm 30 and single in a big city. Being thin haired is a punishment. From my perspective, I want this problem solved ASAP but I don't want to do surgery either.

Btw, I did a lot of reading here..Bill's blog on hairloss..the FAQs and all that information is very very helpful. I had no idea about any of this stuff when I first starting reading 2-3 weeks ago.

I don't want to post pictures, could I email them to you Bill?

George,

Feel free to send me a private message or email me at help@hairtransplantnetwork.com.

Publicly however, please understand that restoring hair is not something that can be rushed into.

Though I understand you "want this problem solved ASAP", this is not something you can rush into.

Hair transplantation may be a viable option for you, but learn and understand the benefits, risks, and limitations and what makes a good candidate first. That way you can make an informed and educated decision rather than a rushed emotional one.

Best wishes,

Bill