Fixing bad Hair Transplant?

I had three hair transplant sessions done in the early nineties totally about 500 grafts. I was wondering with the new advances can they take the old grafts out and replant them in with the newer techniques? Has anybody out there had a similiar situation?

I had three hair transplant sessions done in the early nineties totally about 500 grafts. I was wondering with the new advances can they take the old grafts out and replant them in with the newer techniques? Has anybody out there had a similiar situation?

Sorry to hear that, if it was me i would go see Dr. Cole in Atl. and talk about having them moved using FUE procedure or if you have good donor you could have strip surgery and transplant around the existing graphs, Do a google search on "Jotronic" he just went thru a similar situation and he detailed everything on his site, and he looks great now, he is a bit of an "Internet legend" and a great guy, hes very easy to reach on the phone also, good luck

Gfunk,

Most physicians will use newer techniques (i.e. follicular units) to transplant around the existing grafts. They may choose to extract some of the larger or more visible grafts, but most physicians will not extract all of the existing grafts. Take a look at the before and after photos on some of the leading physicians' websites and you will see some excellent repair jobs. As Mudpuppy mentioned, Jotronic is an excellent example. His results look just as good as some of the guys who weren't repair cases, if not better!

GuitarPlayer

Hi,

Well i can identify with your problem cause i have the same. I was too young and stupid and had my first of three procedures at 21,22,23 which totalled 800 minni and micro's.My hairline was placed to low and i was left with a pluggy hairline and a wide donor scar from the famous Dr. Brandy. 1998 went to Dr. True and receivced 1300 graphs to try and mask the problem with a new donor area which i am told might have been taken out of the sweet spot of donor hair.Hairline is a little better but i am not happy with it.I just saw Dr. Bernstein last week who specializes in repairs and he said that i should have about 20 to 30 graphs removed and split into fut and replanted.Then maybe later on do a small session of 400 in the hairline.Also a was told that i really have no or very little donor hair left that was very upsetting

I am glad i saw Brstein,It makes sense not masking the problem and try and soften it with removal or thick graphs.

I feel in my opinion there are three top docs i trust for repairs. Berstein,Shaprio,and Hasson and Wong. They is hope for you just get opinions from a few docs.

Here is a picture of how I look now. You can see the the transplants and how they are starting to show more. I just acturally want to get the front of my head done and a good hairline. In not as concerned with the back of my head as much. What kind of results can I expect?

Front.jpg.640ce26a4e061b5a34c2b38686156700.jpg

gfunk,

I would suggest sending your pics to several different doctors and they will set up phone consultations. For starters, I would try Hasson & Wong, Feller & Cole.

It's hard for me to say what to do. I'll leave that to the experts, but here's a few scenarios that I've seen take place with othere patients:

1. If you have sufficient donor hair, the doc can do another strip procedure. Hopefully he can remove your old scar(s) and then use the new grafts to fill in the gaps and do any camoflauging that's neccessary. Then you can be fixed front & back. When I had my strip procedure done with Dr. Hasson, he 40 of the grafts and placed them into one of my old scars. It did the trick and broke it up.I know you said you weren't worried about the back, but I would check every option while your're at it.

2. You go the FUE/FIT route and have some of the old mini's removed if they're a little pluggy looking. they can then be re-distributed but i believe the survival rate of the graft goes down once it's changed locations again.

I had some bad work done before and was repair patient, so I know how you feel. Hang in there, take your time and do your homework. You can't afford to have any more bad work, so make this one count. Keep us posted. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Gfunk,

I would recommend consulting with Drs. Jeffrey Epstein, Robert Bernstein, Ron Shapiro, and Hasson and Wong. They are all very skilled at doing repairs.

I have also heard that Dr. James Vogel and Dr. Jack Fisher are also very skilled at doing repairs.

GuitarPlayer

Options-

- you can have hair placed around the plugs,

- you can have then excised and the wounds sutured close,

- you can have the plugs excised and the wounds donor sealed with skin grafts,

- you can have the grafts thinned by fue.

A lot will depend on the direction of the hair in the plugs.

Do you have any pictures of your head. That will help you get better advise.

What do you expect to acheive and what is your donor supply like?

How is your body hair growth?

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

• Administrators

Gfunk,

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing results. But the good news is that much can be done to correct your old style grafts and create a natural hairline.

I suggest reading the hair transplant repair section and viewing the "Repair" photo gallery of people who have had old work updated and or fixed.

I think it cases of large grafts that are poorly placed it is typically optimal to remove them and re transplant them as follicular units, while also adding hairs to soften your hairline and frontal area.

I hope that you have success in getting a natural look that you will be happy with.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 1 year later...

Just out of curiousity I noticed in this discussion that it was mentioned that 500 grafts into the hairline would not make a huge difference. I only ask because I was thinking of softening the hairline I have and was told by one Dr. that 500 would work and another Dr. that 800-1000 would work. It gets very confusing because if I look at the pictures in the above link showing hairline repairs there are many pictures showing 500 and some less that look very good and make quite a difference. Anyway just curious. Thanks

tam,

If your goal is softening the hairline, 800-1000 in the hairline could work just fine. But for someone who is re-establishing a hairline with little to no hair there, 500-1000 in the frontal third of the scalp will create a very thin look.

Bill

P.S. This thread is about 6 months old icon_wink.gif

• 5 months later...
Originally posted by gfunk:

It is posible to remove the plugs and re-distribute them. All depend of your final goal..If you want to have more hair, you should consider to add new grafts to camouflag the pluggy look. Doctors can remove the big plugs in a second procedure if needed.

Removal takes usually more than one session and it depends on your final goal.