HT while in a new relationship..

While I wouldn't go to a doctor who requires shaving of the recipient area, I can definitely see a few advantages. Mainly it would be much easier for the doctor to work with, if he's not constantly having to come hair out of the way and for the patient I would imagine there would be no shock loss. You can't lose what's already been shaved away. If my hair wasn't long, I'd definitely be up for shaving the donor area. Unfortunately or fortunately, I wear it long and it still looks pretty good and I can "hide" the loss for now, so it would be really odd to going from what appears to be a fairly full head of hair to, shaved down and somewhat balding. If you wear your hair very short anyway, and it's not a work issue, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to go that route if it makes the doctor's job easier and can possibly produce better results or a larger transplant.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done both secret/non-secret ways before , telling nobody , and telling a few people close to me (I've had 4 hts) . I think its best to just tell the girl , without hesitating , just say something like I'll be gone for a week because I'll be recovering from a ht - I'm so excited about having this done - the best doctors are doing unbelievable work now . I hope you like it when its done .

This is what I told my girlfriend about 10 years ago when I had a HT . Do you know what happened ? She said Really ? you know I always wanted to have my eye lids done . And she then went and scheduled cosmetic eyelid surgery.

I think soooo many people want to have something or another done cosmetically but are so shy that they never go through with it . When you do it openly you will probably help some other people who may really want to do some sort of procedure actually have it done or if not feel that someday they might want a procedure and will feel that its ok when the time comes . Your example will open the door for them , because one of their peers is openly doing it . But the more evasive and secretive you are about it sort of reinforces the notion that there is something weird or unacceptable about it .

chibbler

Unless you're really serious I don't see a problem as I already stated, but worse case scenario, if you are serious and she does love you, etc, etc. You could end up with the response I got, "well if you're having some hair added, why can't I get my boobs bigger." lol She's got no clue I had one surgery a few years back (was only dating her on and off then), and well I keep my hairloss fairly well hidden now (or does everyone think that? lol).

So it could effect you adversely financially to tell her, because she might want bigger boobs. Keep that in mind! lol

Originally posted by MarylandGuy:

While I wouldn't go to a doctor who requires shaving of the recipient area, I can definitely see a few advantages. Mainly it would be much easier for the doctor to work with, if he's not constantly having to come hair out of the way and for the patient I would imagine there would be no shock loss. You can't lose what's already been shaved away.

MD Guy,

I am not sure that is true about shockloss, shockloss is from trauma which is mainly occurring below the surface of the skin. If that is the case length would not matter. I think shockloss is patient to patient oriented more than the shaving issue. I have never had shockloss in any of my procedures. That being said, the skill of the surgeon has got to be a factor as well.

NoBuzz

To hit the original question...I'd say, definitely tell her. The HT is something good you're choosing to do for yourself; whether or not she supports you in it, thinks it's silly, thinks less of you for it because of assumptions, perhaps, is part of your learning about how good the relationship in fact is...

Regarding shaving, another part of the equation, as I rememeber a doctor posting here once, is that aside from allowing the surgeon to better see the "playing field" of your scalp, shaving also eliminates the need to comb through existing hair many, many times during the procedure...which can definitely stress it. Bill...perhaps you can confirm or deny this...it was an older posting.

Benjamin

Another thought on the "to tell or not to tell" topic...

I have this $.02 theory that, if more people realized that HT's are not only miles ahead of the bad old days of plugs, but that they have evolved to the extent that they produce some great and utterly natural-looking results, then maybe, just possibly, a lot of the stereotypes most of us have heard...that it's a midlife-crisis thing, that it's about insecurity...might just die a well-deserved death. Or at least be counter-acted with modern reality.

Obviously, a HT is surgery, and that plus the time and nature of it make it a big step, but in its essence it's just another way to look better...no different in principle than working out, getting better clothes, getting a better haircut.

Sorry for the multiple postings...still on Madrid time... icon_razz.gif

For what it's worth, everyone I've told about my own HT has been supportive and basically said some variation of "hey, good for you." Several were genuinely curious, especially during the early hat-wearing stage...and a few, including the hair stylist I use, wanted a referral! Which goes to Dr. Feller and his staff's credit...

People who are predisposed to judge others, I think, will find some way to do it...if it isn't your choosing to renovate This Old Scalp, it could just as easily be something else...