Apple Polyphenol (Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology)

Gangster

I was just looking thru my Revita Shampoo booklet and I noticed the section on Apple Polyphenol.

So I looked it up in Yahoo and I saw an ad for some apple topical product. BUT it showed a very interesting 12-month before and after pic supposedly from "Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 4, 245-249".

Is that "Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology" reference legit??

Ganster,

Any reference should be carefully checked and researched to see if other researchers have drawn the same conclusion. In addition to scientific evidence, looking for public evidence (visual proof) of efficacly for hair loss treatments is a vital part of assessing a hair restoration product.

To date I have not done any research on this particular ingredient however, feel free to do some online research and report back what you find. Otherwise, I hope to be able to do some research on it in the near future.

Bill

Gangster,

I admit, I haven't done any research on this particular product, but always consider more than one source when researching whether or not a hair loss product works as a hair loss treatment.

Studies performed by companies trying to sell the product often lacks credibility due to a conflict of interest.

Therefore, multiple sources are necessary to determine the efficacy of a hair loss product.

Bill

There are so many items like this.

Saw palmetto,zinc, copper peptides, etc.

You can drive yourself crazy chasing hope

Stick to the things that work

Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil), & either Nizoral or Revita ( Shampoo might provide marginal assistance)

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 4 weeks later...

Another Apple Polyphenol article that I found:

The first clinical trial of topical application of procyanidin B-2 to investigate its potential as a hair growing agent

Tomoya Takahashi 1 *, Ayako Kamimura 1, Yoshiharu Yokoo 1, Shinkichi Honda 2, Yasushi Watanabe 3

1Tsukuba Research Laboratories, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co., 2, Miyukigaoka, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0841, Japan

2Development Department, Biochemicals Division, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co., 1-6-1, Ohtemachi, Chiyoda, Tokyo 100-8185, Japan

3Watanabe Dermatological Clinic, 1-32-16, Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0022, Japan

email: Tomoya Takahashi (tomoya.takahashi@kyowa.co.jp)

*Correspondence to Tomoya Takahashi, Tsukuba Research Laboratories, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co., 2, Miyukigaoka, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0841, Japan.

Keywords

androgenetic alopecia; condensed tannin; external application; Malus pumila; proanthocyanidins; scalp

Abstract

Procyanidin B-2 is a compound we have identified in apple which acts as a growth-promoting factor on murine hair epithelial cells. This report describes our investigation of the hair-growing effects of 1% procyanidin B-2 tonic after sequential use for 4 months. A double-blind clinical trial was performed, involving a total of 29 subjects (procyanidin B-2, 19 men; placebo, 10 men). No adverse side effects were observed in either group. In the procyanidin B-2 group, 78.9% showed an increased mean value of hair diameter, whereas only 30.0% in the placebo group showed any increase (p < 0.02, Fisher's exact probability test). The increased ratio of hairs measuring more than 40 m in diameter after 4 months of procyanidin B-2 treatment was significantly higher than that of the placebo controls (p < 0.05, two-sample?‚?­t-test). The increase in number of total hairs in the designated scalp area (0.25 cm2) of procyanidin B-2 subjects after a 4 month trial was significantly greater than that of the placebo controls (procyanidin?‚?­B-2, 3.67 ?± 4.09 (mean ?± SD)/0.25 cm2; placebo, -2.54 ?± 4.00/0.25 cm2; p < 0.001, two-sample t-test). Procyanidin B-2 therapy shows potential as a promising cure for male pattern baldness.

Copyright ?© 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Received: 27 May 1999; Accepted: 20 June 2000