HOw long does it take after surgery for people not to notice

markky_03-

This is dependent on many things:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Did you have to shave down<LI>How many grafts did you have and where were they placed<LI>How do you heal<LI>scalp/hair color contrast (light hair less easy to detect

In most cases...................6 weeks will be plenty of time to grow hair enough to cover the donor area. If you had to shave down for the HT work, your hair on top (if you had any to start with) will be around 1/2"-3/4" long so it won't cover anything but hopefully you'll have healed enough in the recipient area for it not to show.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Markky_03,

A formal "welcome" to you from our community icon_smile.gif

Personally...I wouldn't go for surgery 6 weeks out from any wedding let alone my wedding.

Hairbank gave you some great things to consider. I would also add shockloss as a variable. If the doctor will be transplanting any hair between your native hair, shockloss could be a factor and ultimately 6 weeks is a primary time for a lot of people where they look worse than they did before surgery.

Shock loss can ALSO occur in the donor area and even if your hair is longer, the loss around the scar MIGHT be noticable.

Additionally, you MIGHT still be experiencing some scalp pinkness in the recipient area.

I made sure when I scheduled my surgery that I had no big public events in my social calendar for at least 4 months after surgery. There is no steadfast rule...but this works pretty well for me.

Good luck.

Bill

Markky_03,

I'll confirm what Bill has mentioned regarding shockloss. This happened to me and my recipient area is only now beginning to look normal - 3 1/2 months post-op.

There is no guarantee that my experience would repeat itself for you - but it is certainly a possibility. With something as important as a wedding happening shortly, I would be hesitant to proceed at this time.

Bayer

Six weeks is good, Hairbank's post is a good guideline for answering your questions. I think the biggest thing is if you had your head shaved or not. I didn't have my head shaved for my first procedure and I was fine after my five days. But everyone is different.

This is a good thread and definitely something for those to consider who will have dense packing and ultimately shave down. I'm contemplating another HT soon and have been reviewing the scenario again. We'd all rather not shave down but IMO the benefits far outweigh the costs.

Everyone heals differently. I went back to work 2 weeks after HT #2 with an ultra-short haircut but pulled it off nicely and healed enough for the scar and incisions not to be visible.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

We'd all rather not shave down but IMO the benefits far outweigh the costs.

What ARE the costs?

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Originally posted by TomA:
We'd all rather not shave down but IMO the benefits far outweigh the costs.

What ARE the costs?

Also the risk of follicle transsection as the Doc won't be able to see as clearly when making incisions.

Yes, Bill, the skinhead look doesn't appeal to most... icon_biggrin.gif!!

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog