Laser combs

• Moderators
Do these laser combs contraptions actually work?

Works for me.

Would a 50W grolux bulb from my aquarium achieve the same?

I don't think you're going to find anyone who has ever tried it to know if it works icon_smile.gif However the idea is that it's the laser light energy that does the trick, not just any kind of light.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I think BeHappy is the only member I have seen on this forum that says that it DOES actually work. Anyone else that has used it will tell you the opposite.

The use of the word 'Laser' is supposed to make you think that the device has some mystical power.

These views are from my own learned experience. I am NOT a Doctor, but people say that I do look like one from a distance.

• Moderators
Originally posted by hairscout:

I think BeHappy is the only member I have seen on this forum that says that it DOES actually work. Anyone else that has used it will tell you the opposite.

That's not true. Here are some posts from this forum.

Artman502

Two good friends have used it for a litle under 2 months and are already seeing results

----------

YODA

Posted September 06, 2007 09:42 PM

All the proof I need is growing out of the top of my head.

You can read post after post after post from guys like me saying it Works, or guys like Dr. Feller saying it's Hogwash. You won't really know until you try it yourself.

YODA

After being on laser therapy, the quality of my hair improved greatly, more vibrant, thicker, even more less fall out than when i was on the other parts of my treatment alone and it even allowed me to cut back from 1.0mg of Dutas a day to only 0.5 and twice daily application of minoxidil to only once

I tried that before and got a massive shed. Not only haven't I shed this time, my hair is actually becoming thicker and fuller..... before laser therapy i was only maintaining what i had...now, I've cut my drug intake in half, added LLLT and i'm gaining hair!

It's LLLT therapy...it works for me at least...

------------

rodfl

Posted May 24, 2006 10:13 PM

The Hairmax laser comb does work and I have used it for four years now----While it may not regrow you a full head of hair---while using it with propecia it has prvented me from losing my hair

----------------

toofunnyman

It is too early to report much about the laser comb at this point but it is making my hair more manageable and healthier. I have been using it for one month

----------

Harve

Posted May 19, 2007 09:57 AM

Hey guys, I purchased a laser comb a few months ago.(I can't remember how many) But I have been using it regularly, every other day for 10 minutes at a time. I can honestly say that I see improvement in my hair. I've had transplants in the front so that hair is healthy, but the hair behind it was getting very thin and wispy, increasingly revealing my scalp. I was even considering a possible 5th!! procedure to put some more hair in this area.

However, I have noticed THAT hair is covering my scalp better after using the laser comb. It is thicker and stronger.

I should include also that I believe at least a few dormant follicles have been jump-started too. Those who've had transplants know that when your transplants start sprouting hair, you can often feel the little prickly hair, sort of like a whisker. I believe I've had a few of these "jump-started" follicles in the area where I use the laser. It's not like there everywhere, but I have noticed a few.

I've used topik to fill in this area and I've noticed that I'm using less now. So I just wanted to offer my experience using the comb. I also use propecia. I think the two work great together.

----------

nickcpa88

Posted February 14, 2006 06:48 PM

I have been using the laser comb for approximately 5 months and have seen improvement in the density & thickness of existing hairs on my head. Now I wasn't expecting this to be a miracle cure for baldness, but I figured every little bit helps - and this has to some extent.

----------

buddyebsen

Posted February 14, 2006 06:57 PM

I have used a homemade lasercomb since Nov 1 and I can attest to Dr. Bauman's obervations that it has improved the quality of my hair and so far has reduced any shedding almost entirely.

-----

finnari

Posted May 22, 2007 06:48 PM

I to noticed an "improvement" in the way my hair looked after laser for six months.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Here are quotes relating to the Lasercomb from this forum.

paris_caine

lasercomb is a whole lot of nothing, a mega-size rip-off, from what i have heard. you are better off spending your money on medication and future HTs.

Mrjb

There is no substantial evidence that it regrows hair.. I wouldn't waste money on it..

JakeVig

But I have yet to find any photographic evidence that shows a real cosmetic difference. Even on their website the before and after pics are not impressive at all. If even the best hand picked results are not impressive...

spex

....total waste of time and money...

FacelessMan

...it has minimal results...

zerro

Funny terry... Yeah, you could probably pick one up at the local dump for free. I think that doc must have been some kick backs from that there light-saber company

Bill

There is no proof that the lasercomb, revivogen, or any other "natural" hair loss remedy really does anything to combat hair loss.

rp1979

Is it fair to call Revivogen or the FDA-approved Hairmax Lasercomb for that matter a "SCAM"

wanthairs

I have been using the lasercomb....the expensive one...got it long ago when ti first came out, before I ever heard of this or any other hairloss forum...That was back in the day when I used every single snake oil, gadget, inversion table, cleaning agents etc...

NOTHING WORKED APART FROM A HAIR TRANSPLANT !!!!

parable

I tried the Lasercomb and didn't think it did all that much..

Used it for a couple of months and although the hairs feels nicer and fuller straight after usage the effects were off!!...NO regrowth with it!...

Toad_NW3

I use the lasercomb for cosmetic reasons but I do not believe that it causes me to have MORE hair.

Do read Dr. Alan Feller's analysis of LLLT (Low Level Light Therapy)

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/146...861/m/8241085633/p/1

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/146...861/m/8241085633/p/2

hs

These views are from my own learned experience. I am NOT a Doctor, but people say that I do look like one from a distance.

• Moderators

hairscout,

You said that you felt that I was the only one saying laser combs have worked for them. I simply pointed out how that was not the case because to me it felt like you were attacking my credibility. I'm not here to have a war about how many people think it works and how many think it doesn't.

However I will point out that most of your quotes are from members who NEVER used a laser comb and are simply posting their opinions based on other opinions of people who never used it and so on. That can never compare to someone who actually used a product.

Also one of your quotes:

parable

I tried the Lasercomb and didn't think it did all that much..

Used it for a couple of months and although the hairs feels nicer and fuller straight after usage the effects were off!!...NO regrowth with it!...

OK. Let's read that again. He used it for a couple of months. He says the hair feels nicer and fuller. Sounds like it's working to me. That's not bad for only a couple of months. Then he stopped using it and says the effects wore off. Hmm... effects wore off... meaning there was something positive happening while he was using it. But they wore off afterwards... Well... yes, of course. That would be the same as minoxidil, propecia, or anything else that might grow hair. Once you stop using it you will lose the effects. That doesn't have anything to do with what was happening when he WAS using it. You can't expect something to work while you aren't using it.

So, thanks. I'll add that to my list of people who say they got positive results. icon_smile.gif

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

BeHappy,

It is not my intention to attack your credibility but rather to give balance to the question.

As someone who tried out the Lasercomb for several months, I can say that I did experience something - a LOT of SHEDDING! I also experienced expedited greying in the safe zone (ugh!).

I did stick with it in the hope that things would improve but it definitely did more harm than good!

hs

• Moderators

hairscout,

Sorry for the late response.

Fair enough. At least you actually tried it, so I'll value your opinion on it more than some others. I do have a few questions though. Do you think it's possible that you could have simply been experiencing an initial shed? That didn't happen to me, but I had been on proscar and nizoral before starting the laser comb. I don't know if anyone experiences an initial shed with a laser comb. I also don't know how long you used it.

You say your hair was getting more gray. I'm wondering if the hair that was falling out was the darker ones leaving the gray hairs still growing, thus leaving you with a higher percentage of gray hairs AS OPPOSED to making more of your hair go gray. I know I've been having a small amount of the opposite effect. Most of the new hair growing in is dark, so it's covering the gray hairs a bit better than before.

Lastly, I find it works best in combination with proscar for me. Were you using anything else at the time?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

Thank you to all who took the time to quote real member opinions on and experiences with laser therapy.

I think that creates a great starting point to anyone searching.

What we can conclude is that there are mixed reviews on whether or not someone believes it works.

In my opinion, the NEXT best step is to look for real patient posted before/after pictures of those using laser therapy.

My problem is, real patient posted photos as evidence is currently lacking.

My best guess is that IF it does work, it probably works better as an adjunct treatment rather than a stand alone. It is hard however, to prove this one way or another.

Until I can find visual proof of its efficacy, I will remain a skeptic.

Bill

i bought one around 5 months ago, used it for a week and got bored of it.. its boring brushin ur head when u have no hair.. im 7 months post ht and my hair is startin to look good and ive started using as of yesterday.. from my own research it works on some and not on other and the results wont be spectacular but i do believe it will thicken and add volume to my hair.. anyway im mad into brushin my new hair at the mo so im deffo going to give the lasercomb my best shot, haha.. i came across a video on youtube of a six month journey of a few guys, each on a different hair restoration quest.. guy on lasercomb got thumbs up form the doc.. the show is american so maybe uve seen it (im from ireland).. it was posted a year ago at the six month stage.. they said at the end of theyd check back at the 12 month stage to check further progress but this is not on youtube! if anyones seen it could u summarize it for me in a reply? cheers! anyway check the doc on

( if ive broken a rule by posting a link to another site i apologise)

2200 DHI Ireland june 2007

Rogaine 5% may 2007

Lasercomb jan 2008

Nizoral aug 2007

• Moderators

petesman,

I posted a link to that 6 month news study back when Dr Feller specifically asked for testimonials, pictures, and published studies. After I posted several links he said none of them counted because they were ONLY testimonials, pictures, and published studies. Go figure.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

haha, classic!im enjoyin my lasercomb now and im going to give it my best shot,, question for u.. it takes15 to 20 mins session 2 cover the head twice with the lasercomb but just doing the top is were i need help so couldnt i just do that bit? it would only take between 5 and 10 mins.. what u think?

2200 DHI Ireland june 2007

Rogaine 5% may 2007

Lasercomb jan 2008

Nizoral aug 2007

BeHappy,

I think you are taking Dr. Feller's words a bit out of context if I can remember correctly.

The pictures presented (if I remember) were from commercial websites. Personally, I have yet to see any real patient posted pictures that go along with the few positive testimonials I have heard.

As far as published studies, I can't quite recall what was presented. As far as I understand however, the FDA published study of laser therapy for efficacy hasn't been released (for some unknown reason), though it has been for safety.

Bill

• Moderators
Originally posted by petesman:

question for u.. it takes15 to 20 mins session 2 cover the head twice with the lasercomb but just doing the top is were i need help so couldnt i just do that bit? it would only take between 5 and 10 mins.. what u think?

I only spend about 10 minutes a day and I cover my entire head. If you have good hair on your sides and back then I wouldn't worry so much about those areas. Maybe just do a few quick passes.

You had a HT a while back though, so I'll tell you it does work on getting hair to grow back around the donor scar, so you should use it all along the scar.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)