NEW pics of my 2nd procedure! Amazing post-op appearance!

Robert_

Guys,

I went up to Charlotte Friday to get my sutures removed and to get some photos on disk from Dr. Cooley. Let me say that some are shocking even to me. Especially when photos of before my first procedure are looked at side-by-side with "after" photos. "Woah" is all I can say.

I posted these photos and the run-down of my experience in my blog (check out the link in my signature line) but I'm posting it here too so you don't have to leave the forums to check them out.

This is a rather long entry, but I think the words are worth it, especially if you are considering this procedure any time in the near future.

On February 3rd, 2006 I sat in Dr. Cooley's chair for a second time around. The objective was to bring the hairline down just a bit and to add some graphs in the upper temporal region for further definition. The graft count ended up being about 1,500 grafts, and the results will no doubt be as beautiful as the first.

First things first, I have to once again crow about how skilled and expert Dr. Cooley and the staff at Carolina Dermatology all are. I am continually impressed at the level of service and dedication that the entire staff exhibits from the initial consultation, through the procedure itself, to the follow-up appointments. There is not a time that I can think of that my comfort and and well-being were not the absolute first priority. That, to me, speaks volumes about their dedication to their craft.

This time around was basically on par with my first procedure. I arrived at the clinic early, at 7, and Dr. Cooley and I went over some last minute issues to ensure that we were "on the same page" about the goals of the procedure. I then took some Valium to relax me and I laid face-down on the chair for the excision. While my donor area was being prepped, I was given an additional sedative intravenously.

I have to admit that I am somewhat of a "lightweight" with sedatives, so I have to apologize in advance that my account will not be absolutely complete (I tend to snooze a good bit during procedures).

Just like last time, all I felt during the excision was a bit of pressure. Dr. Cooley utilized the Trichophytic Closure technique on my donor area this time around. He has been doing this with great results for a little over a year now and judging from what I see so far two weeks out, my case will be no different.

After I was sutured up, I turned over and sat for the incisions to be made. I sat and watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail (yes, I watched the same movie last time too) while Dr. Cooley labored on the recipient area. It wasn't long before I was snoozing again, though.

I was awakened for lunch and sat comfortably and ate. After lunch, I watched another movie while the grafts were placed. Yes, I had yet another nap. What can I say? I told you I was a lightweight.

I woke up (finally!) late in the afternoon and Dr. Cooley and his staff were still working diligently. He joked with me about napping all day. I can't help but to feel a little guilty for sleeping so much while they work so hard, but it REALLY made the day go by FAST. While I felt as if I had been there for about an hour-and-a-half, I had actually been there about 9. Wow.

After Dr. Cooley was finished placing the rest of the grafts, I saw what I thought I never would in a doctor's office: he let his staff go home while he finished cleaning up. While I am sure that they did the majority of it before they left (there certainly aren't any "slackers" there!) I had never seen a physician so willing to do the clean up himself. Again, it is behavior like this that makes me respect the man and the clinic so much.

I was given my post-op instructions (yes, I know them by heart but I still like to hear them) and take-home bag consisting of several surgical caps to sleep in, some valium to help me sleep, antibiotics, and a Graphcyte-like spray that Dr. Cooley gives to all of his patients that he makes himself. While I hear that other clinics pass off the charge of Graftcyte to the patients (around $300) this formula is completely free for patients of Dr. Cooley. It's great stuff too. I was picked up by my girlfriend and rode back to the hotel room. Dr. Cooley had recommended a nearby Italian restaurant that does great take-out and we brought that back to the hotel room.

All in all, an "A+++" experience once again. This clinic really puts the patient first.

Here's a cool new innovation that Dr. Cooley is utilizing: after all of the grafts have been inserted, a large shower cap-like thing is put over the recipient area. Oxygen is then pumped through a tube into the cap essentially permeating the entire recipient area and newly-placed grafts with precious oxygen. He explained that this technique is still in the "theory" stage but he has seen promising results from it thus far.

Another very cool thing: I got to donate a few grafts to Intercytex research for hair culturing. As far as I know, he extends this opportunity to all his patients but I cannot be positive. I am ecstatic to be helping that research any way that I possibly can.

I am now about two weeks post-op and just had my sutures taken out. I am absolutely stunned at the rapid rate that my recipient area healed. There was a bit of a pink hue in the recipient area the first two days post-op, but after that it was back to its natural skin color. I don't know whether that's due to Dr. Cooley and staff's impeccable skill, the spray that I kept on it for two weeks post-op, or the oxygen-permeation method, but my belief is that it is a culmination of all three.

Once again, I am the happiest of patients even at just two weeks post-op. The recipient area looks absolutely immaculate and there is no indication that there was ever a procedure performed. My donor area feels great and the scar, though still healing, cannot be seen through my hair at all.

If anyone has any questions about my procedure or about Dr. Cooley's clinic, please do not hesitate to contact me via my blog or on the Hair Transplant Network forums. I am more than willing to help you as much as I can.

Check out my photos below. The first set are pre-1st procedure and then after. The last photo is two weeks post-op of my second procedure taken just a couple of days ago.

DSCN0280.jpg

Pre-1st procedure. I am still amazed when I look at these pics of the "old" me

DSCN0282.jpg

Another pre-1st procedure pic. This one really shows the extent of loss that I had at just 25 years old. Ouch!

DSCN0283.jpg

Pre-1st procedure. This also shows how extensive my thinning was.

DSCN0284.jpg

Yet another pre-1st procedure.

1week.jpg

This was taken just one week after my 1st procedure. No redness. No swelling. Impeccable graft placement. It really just looks as if I had those hairs all along and just buzzed them down, if you ask me.

1week2.jpg

Another one taken at 1 week post-op from the 1st procedure a little closer up.

These next few are "Afters" for the first procedure so you can see what that one did for me. The last photo is another "pre-1st procedure" photo I added in for comparison.

frontclose.jpg

After the first procedure top.

leftside.jpg

Left side.

rsfront.jpg

After front.

rsleft.jpg

Another after left side.

DSCN0283.jpg

For comparison, here is a "before" left side. Can you say, "Nice!"?

rsright.jpg

After right.

rsrtbefore.jpg

Another "before" for comparison

This was taken just a couple of days ago. It shows just how nice the recipient area looks just two weeks post-op. Without a very close inspection, there is no indication that a procedure ever took place. The grafted hair have grown a bit but most are expected to shed in the next couple of weeks. After that, I should look pretty much like I did pre-2nd procedure, but in about 4 months, watch out!

021606.jpg

Sorry about the long entry, but these photos are just too good not to share. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

If anyone has any questions about my procedure or about Dr. Cooley's clinic, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am more than willing to help you as much as I can.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Guys,

I went up to Charlotte Friday to get my sutures removed and to get some photos on disk from Dr. Cooley. Let me say that some are shocking even to me. Especially when photos of before my first procedure are looked at side-by-side with "after" photos. "Woah" is all I can say.

I posted these photos and the run-down of my experience in my blog (check out the link in my signature line) but I'm posting it here too so you don't have to leave the forums to check them out.

This is a rather long entry, but I think the words are worth it, especially if you are considering this procedure any time in the near future.

On February 3rd, 2006 I sat in Dr. Cooley's chair for a second time around. The objective was to bring the hairline down just a bit and to add some graphs in the upper temporal region for further definition. The graft count ended up being about 1,500 grafts, and the results will no doubt be as beautiful as the first.

First things first, I have to once again crow about how skilled and expert Dr. Cooley and the staff at Carolina Dermatology all are. I am continually impressed at the level of service and dedication that the entire staff exhibits from the initial consultation, through the procedure itself, to the follow-up appointments. There is not a time that I can think of that my comfort and and well-being were not the absolute first priority. That, to me, speaks volumes about their dedication to their craft.

This time around was basically on par with my first procedure. I arrived at the clinic early, at 7, and Dr. Cooley and I went over some last minute issues to ensure that we were "on the same page" about the goals of the procedure. I then took some Valium to relax me and I laid face-down on the chair for the excision. While my donor area was being prepped, I was given an additional sedative intravenously.

I have to admit that I am somewhat of a "lightweight" with sedatives, so I have to apologize in advance that my account will not be absolutely complete (I tend to snooze a good bit during procedures).

Just like last time, all I felt during the excision was a bit of pressure. Dr. Cooley utilized the Trichophytic Closure technique on my donor area this time around. He has been doing this with great results for a little over a year now and judging from what I see so far two weeks out, my case will be no different.

After I was sutured up, I turned over and sat for the incisions to be made. I sat and watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail (yes, I watched the same movie last time too) while Dr. Cooley labored on the recipient area. It wasn't long before I was snoozing again, though.

I was awakened for lunch and sat comfortably and ate. After lunch, I watched another movie while the grafts were placed. Yes, I had yet another nap. What can I say? I told you I was a lightweight.

I woke up (finally!) late in the afternoon and Dr. Cooley and his staff were still working diligently. He joked with me about napping all day. I can't help but to feel a little guilty for sleeping so much while they work so hard, but it REALLY made the day go by FAST. While I felt as if I had been there for about an hour-and-a-half, I had actually been there about 9. Wow.

After Dr. Cooley was finished placing the rest of the grafts, I saw what I thought I never would in a doctor's office: he let his staff go home while he finished cleaning up. While I am sure that they did the majority of it before they left (there certainly aren't any "slackers" there!) I had never seen a physician so willing to do the clean up himself. Again, it is behavior like this that makes me respect the man and the clinic so much.

I was given my post-op instructions (yes, I know them by heart but I still like to hear them) and take-home bag consisting of several surgical caps to sleep in, some valium to help me sleep, antibiotics, and a Graphcyte-like spray that Dr. Cooley gives to all of his patients that he makes himself. While I hear that other clinics pass off the charge of Graftcyte to the patients (around $300) this formula is completely free for patients of Dr. Cooley. It's great stuff too. I was picked up by my girlfriend and rode back to the hotel room. Dr. Cooley had recommended a nearby Italian restaurant that does great take-out and we brought that back to the hotel room.

All in all, an "A+++" experience once again. This clinic really puts the patient first.

Here's a cool new innovation that Dr. Cooley is utilizing: after all of the grafts have been inserted, a large shower cap-like thing is put over the recipient area. Oxygen is then pumped through a tube into the cap essentially permeating the entire recipient area and newly-placed grafts with precious oxygen. He explained that this technique is still in the "theory" stage but he has seen promising results from it thus far.

Another very cool thing: I got to donate a few grafts to Intercytex research for hair culturing. As far as I know, he extends this opportunity to all his patients but I cannot be positive. I am ecstatic to be helping that research any way that I possibly can.

I am now about two weeks post-op and just had my sutures taken out. I am absolutely stunned at the rapid rate that my recipient area healed. There was a bit of a pink hue in the recipient area the first two days post-op, but after that it was back to its natural skin color. I don't know whether that's due to Dr. Cooley and staff's impeccable skill, the spray that I kept on it for two weeks post-op, or the oxygen-permeation method, but my belief is that it is a culmination of all three.

Once again, I am the happiest of patients even at just two weeks post-op. The recipient area looks absolutely immaculate and there is no indication that there was ever a procedure performed. My donor area feels great and the scar, though still healing, cannot be seen through my hair at all.

If anyone has any questions about my procedure or about Dr. Cooley's clinic, please do not hesitate to contact me via my blog or on the Hair Transplant Network forums. I am more than willing to help you as much as I can.

Check out my photos below. The first set are pre-1st procedure and then after. The last photo is two weeks post-op of my second procedure taken just a couple of days ago.

DSCN0280.jpg

Pre-1st procedure. I am still amazed when I look at these pics of the "old" me

DSCN0282.jpg

Another pre-1st procedure pic. This one really shows the extent of loss that I had at just 25 years old. Ouch!

DSCN0283.jpg

Pre-1st procedure. This also shows how extensive my thinning was.

DSCN0284.jpg

Yet another pre-1st procedure.

1week.jpg

This was taken just one week after my 1st procedure. No redness. No swelling. Impeccable graft placement. It really just looks as if I had those hairs all along and just buzzed them down, if you ask me.

1week2.jpg

Another one taken at 1 week post-op from the 1st procedure a little closer up.

These next few are "Afters" for the first procedure so you can see what that one did for me. The last photo is another "pre-1st procedure" photo I added in for comparison.

frontclose.jpg

After the first procedure top.

leftside.jpg

Left side.

rsfront.jpg

After front.

rsleft.jpg

Another after left side.

DSCN0283.jpg

For comparison, here is a "before" left side. Can you say, "Nice!"?

rsright.jpg

After right.

rsrtbefore.jpg

Another "before" for comparison

This was taken just a couple of days ago. It shows just how nice the recipient area looks just two weeks post-op. Without a very close inspection, there is no indication that a procedure ever took place. The grafted hair have grown a bit but most are expected to shed in the next couple of weeks. After that, I should look pretty much like I did pre-2nd procedure, but in about 4 months, watch out!

021606.jpg

Sorry about the long entry, but these photos are just too good not to share. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

If anyone has any questions about my procedure or about Dr. Cooley's clinic, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am more than willing to help you as much as I can.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• Administrators

Robert,

Congratulations for your second session with Dr. Cooley and crew. Your photos really illustrate why tiny incisions that are minimally invasive are the way to go. They enable dense packing and rapid healing.

I look forward to seeing your progress on this forum and in your blog.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thanks, Pat.

There is no doubt in my mind that the clean, precise incisions that Dr. Cooley employs had a huge effect on my rate of healing. This is further reitterated by others that have posted the same experience: brianK, Brando, Nashville Kat, Prospispience, Hair Apparent, Day Trader...the list goes on and on. Everyone of these guys report rapid healing, clean and unobtrusive post-op appearance, and an overall extremely positive experience.

-Robert

Thanks, HW.

Just for a minor update: I'm seeing some of the transplanted hairs starting to shed but not as rapidly as the first time around. With any luck, some will stick around for some early growth but I won't allow myself to get hopeful. icon_smile.gif

The donor area feels great and I have been mindful of not placing my chin on my chest, which has been a little difficult because I watch TV and surf the 'net on my laptop while lying in bed a lot.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still giddy as hell about the second procedure. Going through the process again has been great and only reassures my faith in Dr. Cooley, his staff, and for the refined techniques they employ.

-Robert

Thanks, Bill.

One month post-op update:

Well, I'd say that about 60 to 70% of the transplanted hairs have jumped ship leaving me with basically my pre-op appearance. My donor is healing nicely and I anticipate (finally!) getting a hair cut tomorrow. I didn't want to let anyone near it for at least a month post-op.

So far, so good.

There are quite a few excellent physicians to choose from when researching hair restoration surgery, but I am continuously overwhelmed at the impeccable results that I have recieved at the hands of Dr. Cooley. The post-op period has been nothing short of awesome. I have been able to walk around without a ball cap (or any other type of cover) on from the 4th day or so post-op with no concerns of my procedure being detected. The healing has been tremendously fast. I never even got any scabs and almost no flaking skin (both common in the few days post-op). I didn't even get any of the head zits that pop up from time to time. Thankfully, too! Those things hurt!

-Robert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am new to this site and am looking into HT. Since I am fairly new to this type of therapy, can you explain to me why you loose the transplanted hair?

msjmatt,

you are lucky to find this site before you go for HT. You can find many many many posts in this site. Just browse through the previous posts and you will get all your questions answered. You can use the find feature to search on a specific topic.

I wish you all the best and welcome to the forum.

-Jagdish

Ravi Vide

Robert...you've got the hair greed ( Smile). Wow I'm more impressed with Dr Cooley than ever! Congrats....you must be through the rough part and into growth at this point!

So I guess the girlfriend is in on your dastardly scheme. God, I have not been on the site but once in a blue moon since my surgery but things are changing fast....improved method for closure etc We are so lucky we were born in this age, our fathers were truely deprived (still managed to procreate though LOL). Actually I have run into this 'strange' phenomenon of gorgeous women that love a very bald head, we cannot win! Anyhow I am delighted with my results ( Dr Epstein in Miami) and I know you'll be delighted with your results once again.

Why is it a good thing to loose transplanted hair?

(Well, I'd say that about 60 to 70% of the transplanted hairs have jumped ship leaving me with basically my pre-op appearance.)

Originally posted by JacobS:

Actually I have run into this 'strange' phenomenon of gorgeous women that love a very bald head.

It is kind of strange. I've never known any men out there that love a very bald head on a woman! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

WCG,

The transplanted hair sheds after about 3 weeks post-op. Around 3 to 4 months post-op, it starts to grow in for good. Some have likened the process to "balding in reverse."

Normally subsequent procedures (2nd, 3rd, etc.) typically take a bit longer to grow in than the first. For me, just the opposite was true. I noticed ~.5 cm hairs at the hairline at just two months post-op. I am at 4 months post-op and I am definitely seeing lots of process. The only difference between the first procedure and the second is Dr. Cooley's new technique of permeating the scalp with oxygen directly after the grafts are inserted. As you can see in my pics, my healing time was nothing short of dramatic as well.

I know I haven't been on the forums that much lately but that's about to change. Things have been crazy but now that I have some good growth coming in I'll be making regular updates again.

Pics to come very soon!

-Robert