Proof is in the Pudding

NervousNelly

We have too numerous debates about the efficacy of the medications versus the alternatives. Surely with the thousands of viewers and many members we should be able to come up with better examples of evidence of results.

I propose that we use this thread to post some of our viewers results of using medications or alternatives or infact both. Ofcourse this is by no means to be interpreted as scientific and the "makeshift forum/study" is ofcourse going to be flawed, but let's see what we can come up with. I'm sure that any photos posted will be critiqued to death and there will be numerous variables to discuss, but it might be interesting. Ofcourse I will readily admit that it also might cause more strife on this forum than we need but with Bill as a Moderator I think personally it is worth trying.

Ofcourse there should be some rules or guidelines to try to follow:

1. Photos are of yourself.

2. No pics from other sites, friends, magazines, journals, etc. (I think it is clear what I am after)

3. High resolution please.

3. All photos attempted to be taken in same location, lighting, etc.

4. Timelines provided.

5. Variables described (ie. "I had longer hair, had a tan, oh by the way I also had a HT, etc."

6. No use of toppik, maderma, etc., to enhance.

Obviously we will have to be trusting of one another and again, I reiterate that this is heavily flawed and by no means to be taken as gospel, but it might be intrigueing to see what happens. Call me crazy for even suggesting this.

And ofcourse it wouldn't be me if I didn't throw in a wise ass statement--Since the meds are proven to be so much more beneficial and there is tonnes of scientific evidence, I would hope to see more results from that side.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Great idea NN!

I think patient feedback is the most important method of determining the effectiveness of a hair loss product.

Because this is related to hair loss products, I have moved this thread to the "Hair Loss Drugs" section.

The guidelines are a good idea...but even if you don't have pictures, feel free to use this thread to share your experience about a particular product and be as detailed as possible.

Please refrain, however, from using this thread as a means to advertise and solicit scam products. Blatant promotion posts and links will be removed.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Not sure if it is a good idea or a bad one. Either way it should demonstrate something:

1. Things are inconclusive.

2. Most things don't work.

3. Meds work better.

4. Alternatives work better.

5. Both do about the same.

6. No one wants to admit that Ht's are the only answer.

7. Something else.

Now since I started this thread I will be the 1st to get started. As many of you know I am on day 6 of my HT and I am attempting to defy the odds of not shedding my grafts.(who isn't) With all the knowledge that I have amassed, I have put together a regimine that I am going to try. To avoid public humiliation and scrutiny , I have chosen not to reveal my plan, but I have sent it to 2 members. One of the members I communicate with somewhat regularly and the other I never have. It is nothing that will potentially be harmful to my outcome (Don't worry Janna or Doc) but is a combination of mainstream and alternative. My pre-photos are already posted so those are readily available to all. I will let people know how things are going and if unsuccessful (which is most likely--don't want to set myself up for disappointment) I will be sure not to sugar coat anything. This is in hopes of not only benefitting myself, but others as well. Wish this crazy bastard luck.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

Of course we wish you all luck icon_wink.gif. I hope you'll publicly reveal your plan of attack and as to whether or not you were successful in your quest to keep those grafts!

As for me...

I tried Rogaine 5% initially and believe it was working for me. This was when I was 22 years old. I used it for a year. Unfortunately, based on my naivity, I stopped the medication for about a year. My hair loss progressed even though Rogaine was working for me.

So I decided to get back on it. 5% was now making my scalp itch so I went down to the 2% alternative. Unfortunately, it wasn't working for me and I continued to lose more ground.

I tried Saw Palmetto for about a year along with some other all-natural miracle cure shampoos such as NISM and REVIVOGEN. I did continue to use the 2% minoxodil through this. Nothing appeared to be working as I continued to lose ground.

HOWEVER...here is an interesting yet very inconclusive statement: when I stopped the use of any product between the time I was married (age 25) to when I had my first hair transplant (27), I lost a LOT more ground much more quickly.

Now what is the conclusion? Does that mean Nism and Revivogen was actually helping? Was it the 2% minoxodil? Or perhaps my hair loss just was destned to dramatically increase around this time. It's all inconclusive, unfortunately.

The only thing I can say with some level of certainty, is that I believe finasteride (Propecia) is helping me keep the hair below my crown. Between 25 and 27 the area under my crown thinned a lot. I started Propecia at 27 and still use it today (I'm 30 now). The area below the crown looks exactly the same as when I was 30. Actually, it does appear thicker now, but some of that is transplanted hair in my crown growing and feathering over the area.

Now about pictures...

I definitely have pictures to prove that the area below my crown hasn't gotten any worse even though between 25 and 27 it thinned out a lot. I do also have some varying pictures before any surgery of the top of my head, but it wasn't to document any specific treatment.

I will work on providing this at a later time.

Some General thoughts:

I often make decisions about a product's effectiveness based on personal experience, scientfic evidence, AND public evidence (patient feedback, etc).

I think one must combine these three pieces in order to obtain a well-balanced picture. That doesn't mean that all three have to exist in order to conclude it works. After all...what works for one might not work for another.

I would say it this way...

In order to determine whether a hair loss product has any merit, I'd say that public and scientific evidence should be considered the strongest. Of course a positive personal experience would overrule the other two whereas a negative experience doesn't discount the other two. The goal is for personal experience to eventually become public evidence so that consumers can be aware of what works and what doesn't!

So what has or hasn't worked for you?

Bill

Bill,

I will publicly reveal my regimine once I conclude the experiment to be over. If I have several posters telling me I'm foolish or "don't waste your time" it certainly does not bode well for a positive trial.

I think that you answered your own question as to why hairloss increased from 25-27 (marriage) icon_smile.gif Maybe we should all post before marriage photos and after marriage--there might be a lot of similarities to Al Bundy. icon_eek.gif

I really like your answer/explanation above about when to give merit to hairloss products and criteria for evaluating. You might want to copy that one and paste on several of the threads right now or save for future. I believe it is worded quite well for both sides of the picture.

I don't know if the question was directed to me or not, but what has worked best for me is challenging. I have been losing my hair since 19 and I am now 39. At times I use to be able to actually pull 10 or more hairs out at a time. (I did have a freak thing happen with an injury that affected a nerve and sped up hairloss along a nervepath--likely temporary though) I have never really given meds a true effort so I can't honestly give them credit, nor can I tag it to any alternative. Sounds crazy, but I truly believe that what worked best for me was not worrying about it? After having a HT at 22, it gave me a little more density and confidence and then hairloss was off of my mind for awhile. Hard to say though.

In my opinion I believe that it is very seldom that we can pinpoint what helped with our hairloss issues except getting a HT.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Originally posted by NervousNelly:

I think that you answered your own question as to why hairloss increased from 25-27 (marriage) icon_smile.gif Maybe we should all post before marriage photos and after marriage--there might be a lot of similarities to Al Bundy. icon_eek.gif

LOL! Or maybe Homer Simpson! icon_biggrin.gif

NoBuzz

NN

I like your 2nd post & nothing better than getting actual pics from real patients. No BS or advertising..

Challenge for me is I never took pics prior to taking Propecia ( that was about 7 years ago before this site)..Also, I cannot post pics due to privacy issues BUT I am forwarded pics to Bill for review..

This way he can comment on my behalf & be of assistance regarding results of HT's

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...

NN

Considering we went to the same doc and our hair loss began around the same age (i know everyone is different) would you mind sending your personal test trial (I won't try it at home).. If you don't I understand. I hope all goes well and who cares if any calls you crazy or says it won't work. You at least are thinking outside the box, and maybe you can teach us, and what would be even more impressive, teach the docs in the industry something. Good for you and good luck.

You only live once...