Laser Comb after HT

mm,

Please enlighten me. What is a laser comb? What purpose does it serve?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Laser combs utilize low level laser therapy to stimulate hair follicles. There has has been no scientific evidence that they help re-grow hair. However, I have found that it makes my hair thickver and richer.

Mm,

What does your doctor say about using the laser comb post-op? I know that Dr. Charles was doing a study a while ago about using the laser comb post-op. Maybe you can retrieve that study from his website (charleshair.com) or elsewhere on the internet.

GuitarPlayer

• Administrators

The concept of low light therapy to stimulate cellular activity has had some evidence of healing properties in other areas of medicine.

When I first saw the aggressive marketing of the "Laser Combs" a couple of years ago I was turned off. My first reaction was that this device will soon take its place in the museum of questionable medical devices.

However, other more reputable companies have begun producing alternative devices. Dr. Bauman, Dr. Leonard and Dr. Williams just to name a few have been trying these low light laser therapies in their offices and they feel that based on their first hand experiences that this light therapy can work to some degree similar to Rogaine. They feel that this therapy may be of particular use to women with overall diffuse thinning who can't take Propecia or do hair transplants.

Dr. Bauman is probably the foremost expert on the subject of low level light therapy for the treatment of hair loss. We discussed it for some time at the Coalition workshop in Boca last week.

I will email this topic to Dr. Bauman in the hopes that he will respond with his insights and experience.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

At Pat's request, I'd like to give some background info and my 'take' on the role of laser therapy and hair transplantation. I've had experience with Laser Therapy in my hair restoration practice dating back to 1999. The short version of the story is that I am a "skeptic turned believer." Let me say first that Laser Therapy, in my opinion, is certainly NOT a "miracle cure" for hair loss. However, I've had the opportunity to observe patients using both hand-held laser devices (such as the LaserComb) as well as the in-office "hood" type devices. In my practice, many patients use a variety of therapies (and procedures) to reach their hair restoration goals. Many have used laser therapy alone as well as in conjunction with more commonly prescribed (fda-approved) treatments. I have noted some major benefits of laser therapy in some patients who were experiencing hair loss: 1) improvement in the quality (i.e. thickness and density) of thinning hairs, 2) decreased shedding of hairs, and 3) accelerated wound healing post-operatively in my hair transplant patients. Keep in mind that not all patients experience these results and some see results more than others. I have to say that is has been somewhat difficult to predict what results a particular patient will achieve with Laser Therapy. A general guideline is that "the more hair you have, the better it will work." This also holds true for minoxidil and finasteride (Propecia) by the way.

Unfortunately, while the research in the general areas of Laser Therapy is plentiful (2500+ papers to date), there are very few published papers that discuss the use of laser theapy in the hair loss patient.

Interestingly, there is a good deal of evidence that points to laser therapy as an wound-healing adjunct.

Phototherapy, in general, is a field which is rapidly expanding and gaining in popularity amongst patients and physicians in all areas of Cosmetic Surgery. There are also a number of laser clinics which are in the hands of non-physicians, which sometimes can give the public the wrong impression of the treatment.

I will try to answer questions regarding this therapy as they come up and as my time allows. It would also be important for you to know that because of my experience with laser therapy, I have been a paid consultant for a number of medical device manufacturing companies, giving them feedback regarding my work in my clinic with my patients and various devices. Over the years I have had a number of laser hood devices, different models, different manufacturers. Currently I use the Sunetics, Inc. "E Series" laser hood which has over 100 diodes @ 650nm 2-3mW. I have two of these units and I have just ordered another three.

I use the laser treatments pre-op and post-op in patients. I also dispense the lasercombs from the office and I teach patients the most effective way to use them. I instruct patients to begin Laser Therapy, either with the hood or comb (carefully!) starting on post-op day #2.

I always instruct patients to use the fda-approved treatments as a first-line of defense. However, having a non-chemical, non-invasive option (with no side-effects, I might add) is also helpful.

I hope this helps to start to put things into perspective.

Sincerely,

Dr. B.

Alan J. Bauman, MD

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group, P.A.

Alan J. Bauman, M.D.

Medical Director

Bauman Medical Group

Boca Raton, FL USA

http://www.baumanmedical.com

Originally posted by DrBauman:

I've had the opportunity to observe patients using both hand-held laser devices (such as the LaserComb) as well as the in-office "hood" type devices.

I have noted some major benefits of laser therapy in some patients who were experiencing hair loss: 1) improvement in the quality (i.e. thickness and density) of thinning hairs, 2) decreased shedding of hairs, and 3) accelerated wound healing post-operatively in my hair transplant patients.

One VERY IMPORTANT thing that needs to be said is that these potential (very minor) benefits STOP immediately the day you cease to use these laser devices. And EACH of these laser helmet sessions costs a fortune. That is how Advanced Hair Studio and others make their money. Yes some patients can see a small improvement in the quality of their EXISTING hair AS LONG AS they continue the treatment. Does laser regrow hair? No. Does it prevent your hair from falling? No. Does it give you the same long term benefit as a HT? No. Can laser help the healing process? Maybe. Is it worth spending the time and money to find out? No.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

I have been using the laser comb for approximately 5 months and have seen improvement in the density & thickness of existing hairs on my head. Now I wasn't expecting this to be a miracle cure for baldness, but I figured every little bit helps - and this has to some extent. I have done some research into how this therapy works and it seems to work the same way minoxidil works - by stimulating blood circulation on the scalp. I MUCH prefer this method over messy minoxidil. Although it was quite expensive, I think it was worth the money I paid for it (imo). I am definitely going to use my laser comb after my HT as well. I was thinking of using it again after the scabs have disappeared - so within the first couple weeks post-op.

One VERY IMPORTANT thing that needs to be said is that these potential (very minor) benefits STOP immediately the day you cease to use these laser devices. And EACH of these laser helmet sessions costs a fortune. That is how Advanced Hair Studio and others make their money. Yes some patients can see a small improvement in the quality of their EXISTING hair AS LONG AS they continue the treatment. Does laser regrow hair? No. Does it prevent your hair from falling? No. Does it give you the same long term benefit as a HT? No. Can laser help the healing process? Maybe. Is it worth spending the time and money to find out? No.

I have used a homemade lasercomb since Nov 1 and I can attest to Dr. Bauman's obervations that it has improved the quality of my hair and so far has reduced any shedding almost entirely. Hairworthy, you make it seem that if it does not produce results as good as a HT that it has no value whatsoever. I think it is a great adjunct to a hairloss treatment program; I also use minox, dut, and zix. Cost for me was $45 and nothing more ever. I use it 15 minutes 3-5 times per week while I'm watching television so it is easy to fit into my lifestyle. If I were paying hundreds of dollars per month, it might be a different story but I feel it IS worth the small amount it costs. It may be the combination of treatments or it coud be coincidence, but it has had the most immediate effect on reducing my hairloss of anything I have ever tried.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It is very helpful to get hands on experience and professional advise on a topic such as this.

I know there is no clear cut answer to my question but the feedback is very helpful.

See this thread

Also do a seach for laserbrush on the same site. Mine has(8) 650 nm 5mw Class 3A lasers than I bought on ebay for $4 each. A regulated transformer was about $5 and the brush was $1. Took me about an hour to drill the holes in the brush and glue in the lasers. It is well worth the time and the small amount of money it cost. I actually think it may be more effective than the lasercomb since it has 8 direct beams that are pointed at my scalp instead of one beam that is reflected. Don't take it in your carry-on luggage on an airplane, however. Security gets real suspicious.....