Wearing hats after the HT

Hello,

I had my HT 2 days ago and I was told I could wear a hat but that basically means laying the hat on the top of my head like a sheet of paper! When can I actually wear a REAL ball cap that fits my head without causing potential damage to the grafts? Thanks in advance!

Haha yes, they gave me a hat the day I left the office and I felt completely ridiculous wearing it considering it was basically just hovering over the top of my head. My concern is I will be going out of town this weekend to watch my brother play a show and I was hoping to be able to wear a hat or something so everyone doesn't know I had a ht. But thank your for the advice. I don't know if I can pull off the bandana but I'll try to figure something out. Thanks Bill.

Joered78,

You could try wearing a sweat/head band under a baseball cap. I was given a sweat band post-op to reduce swelling, the rim of the cap can be placed over the sweat band which prevents the cap from touching the receipt or donor area.

Hmm, that actually isnt a bad idea. Maybe I could fold a bandana like a head band and wear it under my cap. I'm not the type of guy who can pull off the "badass" look, but its better than the scabbed up forehead look I guess lol.

I'd stick with the head band, they move very little, are a constant thickness through out and due to them being elastic there shouldn't be any issue with tightness or irration. Also, you don't want to have take off your cap to re adjust or tie the bandana.

Very good points. I'll have to see when my wife can run to the store and pick one up for me. I'm sort of a little self conscience at the moment and not exactly having the courage to "let my hair down" so to speak! :P

Hey Joered,

I purchased an oversized Under Armour hat. I then cut a piece of cloth off of a black t-shirt.

I rolled that cloth up and placed it on the inside part of the hat(Where it rests on your forehead).

Putting the piece of cloth in makes the hat not slide down over your eyes and it keeps it above your grafts slightly.

Works great for me.

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

• 2 weeks later...

Joered78,

I found using a baseball cap with an elastic band, as opposed to one with a buckle on the back, to be effective. Keep in mind that I only had work done on the frontal lobe; 1600 follicular units.

For any level of work done, the most important consideration, is NOT putting on a baseball cap the way you normally would, which is back of hat on first and then pulling it down around the front. After surgery, while you are healing, it is quite IMPORTANT to place the front rim of the hat on your forehead, hold it in place, and carefully stretch the back of the hat around the head. The donor area for me was below the hat line so there wasn't any

discomfort there.

Or, you could go Gangsta and wear a do-rag!

Panama Jimmy

you guys are all suckers lol. when i had my transplant i had to wear the blue medical cap thing all the way home, it was about a 7 hour flight with a plane change in dallas. when i was in the airports i was so embarrassed at first but then everyone seemed to look like they didnt even notice. and then since i went into hideout mode i was all by myself so i had to go to the store a few times and guess what i wore the medical cap. but after that i didnt do nothing for like 3 weeks. my doc said that a baseball cap mite effect the grafts.

I wore a hat with a beanie underneath it and would put the front on first then pull to the back. Wore it quite often at the beginning because my surgeon and his team said that was no problem. You guys are getting me a bit nervous though. Very few (maybe 3 total) grafts were dislodged to the point of blood. Is it fair to say that the beanie and hat did not dislodge other grafts if there was no blood? And if the hat did damage to the grafts, would there have been blood for each?

• 2 years later...