To Ice or not to Ice...that is the question

Ironically, different doctors have different opinions on whether or not to ice immediately after surgery. Dr. Hasson's instructions were NOT to ice whereas Dr. Katz and Dr. True's instructions stated to ice.

One of the technicians at Hasson and Wong told me not to ice because the swelling is caused by the fluids injected at the time of the procedure and ice will not help it. I tend to agree that this makes sense. Of course, what I'm about to say, I am not covering the other variables in play here, BUT experiencially, I had less swelling with Hasson and Wong then the others.

Anyway...I am curious what others have to say about this:

Regardless, however, here are some other tips to help minimize and shorten the swelling time:

1. Sleeping with your head propped up (at least 3 pillows).

2. Stay upright most of the day (sitting rather than laying down)

3. Do some light walking every day (nothing that causes a sweat) to help work the fluids down your face.

Bill

Ironically, different doctors have different opinions on whether or not to ice immediately after surgery. Dr. Hasson's instructions were NOT to ice whereas Dr. Katz and Dr. True's instructions stated to ice.

One of the technicians at Hasson and Wong told me not to ice because the swelling is caused by the fluids injected at the time of the procedure and ice will not help it. I tend to agree that this makes sense. Of course, what I'm about to say, I am not covering the other variables in play here, BUT experiencially, I had less swelling with Hasson and Wong then the others.

Anyway...I am curious what others have to say about this:

Regardless, however, here are some other tips to help minimize and shorten the swelling time:

1. Sleeping with your head propped up (at least 3 pillows).

2. Stay upright most of the day (sitting rather than laying down)

3. Do some light walking every day (nothing that causes a sweat) to help work the fluids down your face.

Bill

Interesting---- I think I iced a bit, but I pretty much sat up for 5-6 straight days and I did not experience much swelling.

In addition to the skill of the Doctor, do you think it is just the patient's reaction for the most part?

I see some guys who look like they stuck a helium pump in mouth and blew their head up like a cartoon character.

Others like myself have a bit of neck/forehead swelling and 4-5 days later back to normal.

I dunno Bill---- be interesting to hear what others have to say on this!

Great Topic!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Interesting. In my opionion, there should be no problem whatsoever with icing as long as you don't ice the grafts themselves. In other words, you can ice down on the lower forehead and bridge of the nose without a problem.

I mean really, you can take a bag of ice and ice your knee right now and it won't hurt you in any way. Are you saying don't ice out of convenience or because it will actually do some harm?

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Icing seems benign - I say, as long as it doesn't hurt, go nuts. I didn't ice myself and had some swelling around my neck & jaw. I was kind of hoping it would last a bit so I could freak out friends & family, but it went away overnight & spoiled my joke icon_frown.gif

I'd say it depends on each person & the doctor really...

The question isn't whether or not icing will harm anything...it's more of a matter of whether or not it's truly necessary. I agree...icing won't harm anything...so go nuts if you WANT to...but the question still remains...will it really help?

B Spot,

I agree...regarding how much swelling actually occurs, I attribute it to many things, the skill of the physician, the amount of fluid you were injected with, individual characteristics of the patient, etc. But again...the question remains above...I think most can agree that icing won't harm (as long as you don't ice the grafts), but does it actually help? Hmmmm....

Bill

Interesting topic,

I agree the fluid injected is the major cause of the swelling in the face. Ice does have a soothing effect even if it dos not reduce the swelling.

The donor area goes thru major trauma compared to the recipient area. I found it very comfortable to ice the donor area post-op for a few days. Again, it just soothed the pain maybe more than reduced swelling in that region.

NoBuzz