Update: Eman's HT with Dr. Rahal Day 21!

Eman

Hey all, thought I would give you a quick update

I have hit the 3-week mark!! The crusts are all gone...finally. Dr. Rahal's instructions are more conservative than a lot of the doctors out there, so the crusts took a little longer to come off.

I shaved my head down to a number 2 clip and it feels and looks ten times better. I am still showering my head with a cup and baby shampoo, but doing a little massaging with some natural conditioner. I began applying Rogaine Foam 5% in the morning and night, and apply natural aloe during the day to the recipient area and the scar. The shed has begun. The shed looks like fallen trees in a forest, as some of the grafts are still kind of growing.

As you can see, the scar is visible due to shaving down, but feel in a few weeks the existing hair should moderately hide it. The recipient area is a little pink, but is diminishing each day.

Let me know what you all think!

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

wantego- having the sutures out feels so much better. and shaving down made a huge difference too. Washing is easier and my scalp can breathe and the scar looks better each day according to my gf!!

dedom- I am sure you are counting the days. I know that I did once I hit the two weeks before mark. When the day arrived, I was like finally.

ez- getting rid of the bozo hairstyle feels so much better, I was getting ready to start painting my face and wearing a clown outfit. I can actually go out in public without a hat (but the scar is still shows right now with the buzz) if I want to.

My initial HT thread:

HTinthefuture-

Thanks for both comments, I did read them! I love being shaved down and the scar is slowly disappearing behind the growing hair.

I am glad that I can post here for everyone to see my progress, especially for other potential patients with lighter color hair. You don't see too many of us posting. There seem to be more of the darker, more dominant gene folks on these forums.

I will keep you updated and not fall by the wayside--I promise. I will be brutally honest with how I feel about results/progress and any concerns I may have. If you have any questions anytime, post them, private message me, or call me if you want. I have time and want to give back.

My initial HT thread:

hey dude,

looks great, seems like we are both progressing at the same pace, feel more confident each day that we choose the right surgeon, i am starting to see some shedding also, guess thats soemthing we all have to deal with, just nice seeing that hairline for a while though, isn't it. keep me informed and will keep looking for your updates. I just downloaded a few pics last night on my blog, the next few months will not go fast enough,

cheers!!!!

thanks bud

great to get that reassurance from a fellow transplant recipiant, so I am sure you agree. I think we will both have excellent rsults, you and I seem to be exactly at the same place. I am keeping my expectations reasonably minimal. The thought of the scar bothers me a bit, I must confess, hopefully in 6 months that will be a moot issue, how are you finding the 5% rogaine, I never used it before, so finding it really drying out my scalp, guess I will keep up with it though, thinking about going to 2%. anyway keep in touch and will catch up with you soon

tommy

I also hope the scar will be moot, hopefully shorter than 6-monhts though. I am hoping that when swimming or hooping that it doesn't become noticeable (when my head is wet).

I am using Rogaine foam 5% and it is a little drying, but from what I read the 2% (only comes in liquid form) is more irritating to the scalp. At least my scalp doesn't feel irritated after applying it twice a day. Midway through the day, I do apply Aubreys Organics Pure aloe. It comes in a four ounce container for seven bucks. Expensive, but nothing else added except for a natural preservative. I put it on the recipient site and the scar, so the area is not as dry. And it only takes a little.

My initial HT thread:

Just checked out your shaved down pics - i actually think they are pretty good. That said, I could only see the one from the back and side profile - these look fine to me. I could not find one with a front view. In any case good luck. by the way looking at the pics, it appears you had thick donor hair - is this the case?

I might have one shaved from the front, will have to go back and look at my external hard drive.

I do have pretty thick donor and according to the techs when they were placing the grafts said that the diameter of the shafts were really strong and thick. So, that was definitely a positive!!

My initial HT thread:

Hi EMan,

I'll apply KeloCote-Spraygel in the area of my scar after the sutures have been removed. Two german dermatologists advised me to order it. It's a patented topical silicone gel. They say it works wonders and reduces scars. Dr. Lindsey also told me, it should an option. Sadly it is very expensive. I have paid 100 Euro (135 US-Dollar) for the Spraygel (100ml). (http://www.kelo-cote.com)

The other point is: After my first procedure in Germany i have applied 2%-Minox two times a day on the recipient zone. No skin irritations at all!

Eman - Congratulations and I really do look forward to seeing your HT grow in as the framing of your face - hairline and temple work - looks exceptional.

All the best!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog