differences between rogaine foam and traditional rogaine

tkerr22

I was wondering besides it being a foam what are the differences? I know two main reasons I stopped using the original was it felt really greasy for a long time and that it made me itch like crazy! I use a little toppik in my crown and was wondering if the foam dries up really quick and doesn't leave your scalp and hair greasy?? Also how is it with the itching part?? thanks!

The foam does not contain the scalp irritants found in the liquid form. My experience is that it dries up fairly quickly, but if you're trying to figure out a morning program to get you to work, that can be a challenge.

You're going to want to shower, wait for a fairly dry head...that doesn't take long, but then after you apply you also have to wait for awhile to add in toppik.

I do NOT find it greasy, but the drying time I'm not sure about, and also I'm using it on short hair. I don't know yet what it will be like when my hair is long.

I just picked up a can of the foam myself. I plan on writing up a full review of it in a couple of days but I'll go ahead and give my knee-jerk reaction to it:

It is certainl not as greasy or as irritating as the traditional minoxidil lotion. Well, as far as I can tell, anyway. The traditional lotion didn't irritate me other than some itchiness and that was taken care of by using Nizoral 2% regularly.

It also dries fairly quickly. I put it on right after a shower, allow it to dry for a few minutes and then blow over it with a hair dryer for 45 seconds to a minute and it's really like I never applied anything. I can then apply Toppik like normal. It leaves my hair feeling a little hard, as if I had put a little mousse in it or something, but it isn't bad. It actually (kind of) has a bit of a thickening effect, but that's nothing to get excited about.

All-in-all, I like it. I have been spoiled by buying a three month suplly of generic minoxidil at the same price as one bottle of this foam, but the mess it makes of my hair in the morning when I have to be out of the house is atrocious and caused me to miss a lot of application days.

My bottom line: so far so good. icon_smile.gif

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Robert, if you're blow drying for 45 seconds it might not make a diff, but don't the foam directions specifically tell you not to blow dry?

I've also found their simple instruction to put your applying hand under cold water and then dry and important element in getting it on right.

Finally, I think this forum should explore what appear to be benefits from the use of copper peptide solutions. There appears to be some real evidence that copper peptides encourage hair growth including a shortening of the Telogen cycle, and that it may even have a hair regrowing effect, although probably not as strong as minoxidil.

I've also been reading some evidence indicating that Minoxidil may be better at thickening and strengthening existing hair, than bringing back hair that is gone.

I've been using Minox all over my HT and not just on the top, but even at the hairline.

I have actually seen it grow hair at the hairline in the past using 2 per cent, but of course my key hope is that I can shorten Telogen phase on my transplanted hairs. I think it may be working.

I am concerned that I may have difficulty keeping the minox up all over after significant growth.

mark

I'm blow-drying for about 30 seconds max. Directions be damned, it makes my hair look a little better. Of course, I may be screwing the pooch on the entire application and ruining this whole month but I'm not that worried - I'll be returning to traditional minoxidil after this can is gone. The foam may be a bit more convenient and all, but I really feel I get too much in my hair as opposed to the lotion. I had my procedure down pat with the old stuff and it worked well for me. You know what they say, "if it ain't broke..."

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

One of the quirks I've discovered about the foam, is how differently it applies based on external tempurature.

Just as the directions tell you to run your applying hand under cold water and then dry it, so also the room temperature has significant effect.

When my bathroom is cold, I find a much smaller amount of foam is needed for the same area, and in fact if I try and apply a consistent amount when its cold, I end up with a white foamy head...not what you want to take to the office.

However, I've started to judge the temperature and apply more judiciously, and that has worked. Its been easy for me to experiement since I don't work.

mark

• 1 year later...

IAGBSM,

Welcome to our forum. You may want to consider starting your own thread in order to get more replies.

The only difference between these is the substance and a few of the ingredients. The active ingredient "minoxidil" remains the same.

Many patients like the foam better because it is easier to apply and less irritating on the scalp.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by HT55:
Originally posted by tkerr22:

I was wondering besides it being a foam what are the differences?

The big difference at least in my case is the foam works and VERY WELL especially when combined with Propecia

Perhaps then you should fill out my questionairre in the 'survey' thread, and document your results for us all to see ....

lol @ me selling my thread