Main reasons for Hair Transplant Growth Yeild Problems

Hey guys,

I viewed a lot of post op pictures on this forum and noticed some people seem to have problems with their newly transplanted hair growing.

What do you think are the main reason for hair growth yield problems? Is it down to the techinicians, the surgeon, type of hair?

Thanks

Dear Romeono1

If you read an article from Dr Parsley

Norwood and shiell proposed that X-factor(unexplained poor survival of grafts beyond control of physician) plays about 1-3% role in every case though in rare case it has a significant role to have an impact on the result.

these are the following things that one need to consider for graft survival

1) Selection of patient with good donor area

2) Selection of patient with good and healthy recipient area

3) Avoidance of direct and indirect trauma

4) graft size and method of site preparation and graft size

5) storage of solution

6) best post operative plan

7) Hydration of the grafts during the surgery

8) Physical trauma of grafts while holding and planting

9) Cold Ischemia (Time out of body)

10) effect of density

11) skinny or chubby grafts

12) type of incision

In short the graft survival does not fully depend on the tech or doctor but its every thing

Patient, Doctor and tech not to forget the X-Factor which is beyond any ones control.

I hope this will help you to understand the technicalities of hair transplant surgery.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Yes you are right the graft survival depends on a combination of things and not just the quality of the technician and the surgeon.

But I believe the technique used by the surgeons and the technician also plays a big part in the survival rate of grafts.

I.e. as you know some surgeon's trim chubbier grafts:

I think the main problem with using these skinnier grafts is that the physical structure of the graft is very vulnerable to being damaged in the placement process by the hair transplant assistants. It is also more susceptible to becoming dried out if left on an assistant's gloved finger too long. These two comments are in addition to possible damage to the 'bulge' and dermal papilla areas, and also cutting off possible hidden telogen follicles. For this reason I believe the trimming of some of the chubbier hair grafts could lead to poor growth yeild of some grafts.

I got this information from Dr. Michael Beehner's article on "Chubby" Verses "Skinny" grafts. He is one of the recommended hair restoration physicians.