Rubbing the scar 5weeks post op

Abby

Ive been told by my physiology tutor to rub the scar perpendicularly as this helps to enhance the proliferative stage in healing. For those who are not aquanited with tissue repair ther are 4 stages.

1, The initial damge to the skin, INFLAMMATION

2, MIGRATION STAGE this is were the bodies cells fight destroy bacteria clean and make way for repair

3, ( THE RUBBING STAGE) The Proliferative stage. This where the real repair takes place and can be manipulated to a degree for good results/quality end product.

4 MATURATION stage this is where the skin has finally been repaired and blood vessels are restored back to normal, fibroblasts & collagen decrease in number.

The benefits are that it helps reduce scar tissue,and breaks down adhesions from building up. It also apparently speeds up healing and helps align and enhances fibres in a parallel fashion rather than a network of mish mash laid collagen which in affect reduces contractabillity & stretch of soft tissue. I will look into this further and see if it actually can help reduce or minimise the scar visibility.

For further reading 11 TH EDITION

PRICIPLES OF ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY

Gerard j. TORTORA

Bryan DERRICKSON

Chapters inflammation/ deep tissue reapir.

Ive been told by my physiology tutor to rub the scar perpendicularly as this helps to enhance the proliferative stage in healing. For those who are not aquanited with tissue repair ther are 4 stages.

1, The initial damge to the skin, INFLAMMATION

2, MIGRATION STAGE this is were the bodies cells fight destroy bacteria clean and make way for repair

3, ( THE RUBBING STAGE) The Proliferative stage. This where the real repair takes place and can be manipulated to a degree for good results/quality end product.

4 MATURATION stage this is where the skin has finally been repaired and blood vessels are restored back to normal, fibroblasts & collagen decrease in number.

The benefits are that it helps reduce scar tissue,and breaks down adhesions from building up. It also apparently speeds up healing and helps align and enhances fibres in a parallel fashion rather than a network of mish mash laid collagen which in affect reduces contractabillity & stretch of soft tissue. I will look into this further and see if it actually can help reduce or minimise the scar visibility.

For further reading 11 TH EDITION

PRICIPLES OF ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY

Gerard j. TORTORA

Bryan DERRICKSON

Chapters inflammation/ deep tissue reapir.

I'm certainly not qualified to offer an opinion, but when it came up a few weeks ago the general consensus by posters, and clinic technicians, was it's best to leave it alone.

I'd love to hear one of the doctor's opinions on this as well.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I think when I go back to UNI after the summer holidays I will be asking more about this subject from some of the tutors regarding tissue healing around the scalp area. But saying that, tissue healing was one of the modules we covered for the exam but was more concentrated on the fingers and knee area post op accidents. Iknow leaving the tissue around the areas mentioned can leave poor healing, build up of large scar tissue, scar visibility, and loss of RANGE OF MOVEMENT due elasticity and contractibillity being compromised and sometimes increased sensitivity months after post- OP due to disorganised vascularization i,e, nerves etc growing. There are multiple benefits of rubbing soft tissue , but not sure if this can be applied to the scalp even though that is also considered as soft tissue dermis. I will see if I can get further elaboration on this matter in the meantime it would be great if some qualified DR can help.

Abby,

Great information.

After the first month, I started to apply some lotion and gently massaged the scar with my fingertips paralel and perpendicularly simply to help the lotion absorb into the scar. I was unaware of the extra healing properties this perpendicular rubbing may have accomplished.

Nonetheless, I think it's important to be gentle, no scalp massages and moving of the skin for the first 6 months icon_smile.gif

Bill

There's and excellent response by Dr. Carmon on this under Questions and Answers....

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week