New Year Resolution

GQnDn

Hey Everyone,

I literally joined this website last night and the information on here is AMAZING! I'm 27 years old and I fall between a Norwood IV and V. I've used rogaine for a year back when I was 22, but stopped because of the itch and flaky scalp effect. I've been on and off propecia for the last two years, but have started taking it again (1 mg). I've been using Toppik to cover things up, but with my busy schedule I don't wash it out every night. In any case, I am researching HT doctors in the NY area and plan on getting one done once I find the right one.

I have used the search function on here, but are there any recommendations anyone can make as to what I should do to possibly limit the hair loss and perhaps start the regrowth? I am split between using Nioxin and Nizoral and am still researching that as well.

Thanks for the help!

Hey Everyone,

I literally joined this website last night and the information on here is AMAZING! I'm 27 years old and I fall between a Norwood IV and V. I've used rogaine for a year back when I was 22, but stopped because of the itch and flaky scalp effect. I've been on and off propecia for the last two years, but have started taking it again (1 mg). I've been using Toppik to cover things up, but with my busy schedule I don't wash it out every night. In any case, I am researching HT doctors in the NY area and plan on getting one done once I find the right one.

I have used the search function on here, but are there any recommendations anyone can make as to what I should do to possibly limit the hair loss and perhaps start the regrowth? I am split between using Nioxin and Nizoral and am still researching that as well.

Thanks for the help!

Yo,

Was your Rogaine in the foam form? If not, you may want to try the Rogaine 5% Foam as many people's scalps respond much better to it. It is good that you are taking propecia again -- along w/ the rogaine it is your absolute best line of defense....and, a very good thing to be taking if you decide to go the route of HTs (most any HT doctor will tell you as much; some even dictate being on propeia for a certain length of time before being willing to operate).

For limiting hair loss -- and the pursuit of regrowth -- a three pronged attack of The Big Three is it: propecia, rogaine 5% foam, nizoral 2% shampoo (as an aside, if the nizoral is too strong for your scalp you can try Revita. It is more expensive but just as effective while being a bit kinder to your hair.)

I too looked at doctors in the NY area, and consulted w/ several -- none of which you could really go wrong with. Definitely do as many consults as you can and come prepared with questions.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

GQnDn, Sounds good. I understand "Revita" shampoo doesn't leave your hair dried out like Nizoral does, and when I read about it on-line I was happy with the ingredients in contains!! I'm waiting for my order to arrive soon. One tip I read about Finesteride/Propecia/Proscar is for it to work well you've got to be on it for a good long time. One doctor even said" two years".

GQnDn,One thing to remember if you are starting and stopping propecia or minoxidal you will have continuous shedding and it might be hard to see results so staying on one or the other or both will be more beneficial---welcome to the forum.

Dr Hasson 2-08

Thanks for the input! I used the older version of Rogaine before and am ordering the foam tonight. I've read all across this board that the Propecia and Rogaine is a great combo. I'm going to look into the shampoos and get something ASAP.

I see you have the HT with Dr. Feller coming up. What was your consult process like with him and other docs? I'm from the NY area and will be calling a few to schedule some consults.

Originally posted by fixing-it:

GQnDn,One thing to remember if you are starting and stopping propecia or minoxidal you will have continuous shedding and it might be hard to see results so staying on one or the other or both will be more beneficial---welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome! Yea, I unfortunately didn't realize the shedding effect. I'm going to stick with both them and hopefully I'll see some positive results sooner than later.

GQnDn,

Welcome to our hair restoration forum community. I am glad to hear that you have found the information on this site useful. I encourage you to continue researching our website and utilize the many resources and articles written about hair loss and hair restoration.

Using Propecia and Rogaine 5% together are your best chances and combating against future hair loss and regrowing hair. Revita or Nizoral shampoo containing ketoconazole is a great adjunct treatment.

You will often see this combination above referred to as the "Big 3".

Best wishes in restoring your hair in 2008,

Bill

GQ,

My consultations were all very pleasant, and I was presented w/ a general prognosis and battleplan each time, with specifics concerning the HT(my first) in question; I got what I felt to be the most comprehensive and pointed words/advice from Dr. Feller (I was least nervous for this consult, so perhaps I engaged in a more detailed, transparent talk...), and perhaps more important to my ultimate decision I felt most at home in that particular office. And, to be totally frank, I personally agreed more with his more "aggressive" approach as opposed to a more "conservative" one in my particular case.

I would definitely recommend jotting down a list of Qs that come to you, which you can bring with you so you don't forget anything; at least for me, it was a somewhat unnerving process filled w/ much anticipation and anxiety and it's easy to forget stuff when you feel overwhelmed.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Seems like some great advice for GQ..

Good luck and happy new year

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

thanatopsis_awry,

Made the call to Dr. Feller today and the earliest date i could get for a consult was the end of Jan! Just for kicks, I asked what the next possible date for an HT would be and I was told April. Did you have a logn wait between you consult and your scheduled procedure?

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments! I picked up the foam this afternoon and just put some on this evening. It doesn't have the slick oily feeling like the old one did, which is a plus. I also picked up the Nizoral 1% and ordered Revita which I will cycle between.

Let's see how this works out.