What is more important? How many grafts or how many hairs?

I have noticed some people will have more grafts than myself but that my hair count was more. That got me curious. Which is more important? Does the hair count matter? Often I only hear people speak in terms number of grafts.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I have noticed some people will have more grafts than myself but that my hair count was more. That got me curious. Which is more important? Does the hair count matter? Often I only hear people speak in terms number of grafts.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Wantego I hate you.... icon_cool.gif Just kidding my friend I am damn envious of you HAIR COUNT. Hair is way more important than graft count. From the looks of it you got enough 1's for a nice soft hairline and an amazing amount of 2's and 3's to achieve a nice thick full head of hair. From the looks of your hair characteristics you are gonna have a wow result. Good for you man! Good luck

You only live once...

Originally posted by Arrie:

Wantego I hate you.... icon_cool.gif Just kidding my friend I am damn envious of you HAIR COUNT. Hair is way more important than graft count. From the looks of it you got enough 1's for a nice soft hairline and an amazing amount of 2's and 3's to achieve a nice thick full head of hair. From the looks of your hair characteristics you are gonna have a wow result. Good for you man! Good luck

LOL Thanks? icon_smile.gif

I have no idea how you guys judge who will get a good result and who will get a bad result from pictures. When I look at guys after pictures they all look the same to me. icon_smile.gif

I'm glad to hear my hair count was good. These are things I'm learning from the boards that I had no idea about.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

In my opinion, both graft and hair counts are important. Strategic placement of the grafts/hairs along with hair charactertistics will ultimately impact the illusion of hair density.

Ultimately, the more hairs you have strategically placed, the more dense your hair will be.

I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Bill

I agree with Bill that both are important, though short of getting enough of singles, i dont know why anyone would be unhappy with getting more hair for the same number of grafts, if that is indeed how they exist in the donor area.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

As per Bill, both are relevant. Graft counts alone can be misleading, as follows. Say an individual has 1000 FU's available in the donor area. When trimmed to their naturally occurring groupings (true FU grafts, 1's, 2's, 3's and 4's), they will average 2 hairs an FU, so that will yield 2000 hairs. Now one can cut each and every FU down to one hair grafts, and if one were to do that, you would have 2000 grafts, which would be labeled as a "2000 graft case", when, in fact, one is moving the same amount of hair mass in both instances. ("More slices doesn't make the pizza bigger"- to rip off a phrase from someone I know.....). Now, to the newbie, the 2000 grafts sounds like a "better, bigger deal". In fact, the result obtained, were one to compare the 1000 graft case (native FU grafts, original groupings) with the 2000 graft case (all FU's cut down to 1's), IMHO, the 1000 graft case would look much more natural, due to the heterogeneity of grafts (which mimics nature). There was a time back in the early to mid 90's when some clinics, so excited that you could get all these cut down single grafts to survive, would do just that. The result, to my eye at least, left one with a wispy "airbrushed" kind of look that IMO didn't look at all natural. So it's important to know BOTH those values.

Best to you-

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

wantego,

You have a fantastic donor supply - your hair count is above average density from your surgery data. Nice to see Dr. Rahal providing the graft and haircount. Happy growing.

Originally posted by Janna:

wantego,

You have a fantastic donor supply - your hair count is above average density from your surgery data. Nice to see Dr. Rahal providing the graft and haircount. Happy growing.

Thanks Janna. I hope that is true. I can never tell anything from anyone's pictures. All the right after surgery pictures look the same to me. So many people say so many nice things based on counts and pictures but being in month 1 I'm very worried and optimistic at the same time. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I commented before because your hair to graft ratio is very high, which means your density is high. I just looked at your before pics and the area you needed work is fairly small compared to the number of grafts and hairs you received. I think you'll be wondering what to do with all your new hairs in a year's time. You'll definately be sporting a thick mop. icon_smile.gif