Dr.'s pre-op opinion for Minoxidil Topical Solution

i am on minoxidil topical solution. i have read that different doctors have different pre-op instruction on the usage of minoxidil.

Some Doctor suggests in pre-op insturctions to stop using minoxidil solution a day before or week before or 2 weeks before the Hair Transplant. Which is right- one week or 2 weeks or day before and reason for a different opinion. wheat is the ideal time period to stop taking minoxidil before the HT.

as far as i konow taking minoxidil can cause excess bleeding during the HT becasue of dialated blood vessels.

#1 HT by Dr. Rahal on 08-21-08

Strip 26.6 cm

Total 4308 grafts

-1116 single grafts

-2287 double grafts

-898 triple grafts

-7 quad grafts

Total Hairs: 8412

Medications:

Minoxidil 5%

Finasteride 1 mg daily

i am on minoxidil topical solution. i have read that different doctors have different pre-op instruction on the usage of minoxidil.

Some Doctor suggests in pre-op insturctions to stop using minoxidil solution a day before or week before or 2 weeks before the Hair Transplant. Which is right- one week or 2 weeks or day before and reason for a different opinion. wheat is the ideal time period to stop taking minoxidil before the HT.

as far as i konow taking minoxidil can cause excess bleeding during the HT becasue of dialated blood vessels.

#1 HT by Dr. Rahal on 08-21-08

Strip 26.6 cm

Total 4308 grafts

-1116 single grafts

-2287 double grafts

-898 triple grafts

-7 quad grafts

Total Hairs: 8412

Medications:

Minoxidil 5%

Finasteride 1 mg daily

Stopping meds prior to any surgery depends on a person's own metabolism, for some they remove drugs from their system quickly and others take days/weeks. I would suggest at least 1 week prior to surgery (if you are prone to bleeding-- then stop 3-4 wks prior).

BUT continue taking your Propecia. You can resume Rogaine 1 week post op.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin Shampoo line

Zrii 3oz daily

• 1 month later...

All studies I have read indicate using minoxidil right up to surgery and resuming within a few days after surgery will increase the likelihood of graft survival and minimize shock loss to native and grafted hairs.