Shock loss

I am currently at my prelimenary stages of research about HT.

Just a quick question, reading through this site i notice alot of patients have had or tried medications prior to their HT. However, with me i accepted it as faith and nothing could be done about my hairloss and therefore did not take any medication to treat my hair loss. Now that i am considering having a HT and because i have never had any meds will i suffer a great shockloss? Is it vital to have meds prior to your HT? Or can i have the meds (if recommended by dr) immediately after my HT?

Mak_UK,

Shock loss can occur to existing hair anytime hair is transplanted in between or around it.

In most cases, this shock loss is temporary unless the hair was on it's way out anyway or if natural hair follicles or transected during surgery (very rare if not impossible in elite surgical hands).

Non-surgical hair loss solutions can help minimize the risk of temporary shock loss, but it's not guarantee. However, most people who use Propecia and Rogaine are trying to preserve the natural hair they have. Hair transplant surgery is great at moving hair from one part of the scalp to another, but will not stop the progression of male pattern baldness.

Those trying to achieve the greatest amount of hair will often use non-surgical solutions to compliment their hair transplant, trying to preserve what natural hair they have left.

It's not required, but there is a greater chance for additional hair loss resulting in more surgery or less hair density and coverage once the donor hair supply is used up.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Bill

mak_uk,

I had the same concerns as you , since i had been worried about propecia and rogaine caused scalp irritation for me. I started propecia 2 weeks after my HT, with no sides and I'm happy to report that my shockloss wasn't too bad. I intend to continue using propecia to keep my native hair.

U can check my blogs for pics.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

To follow up on the propecia point, I agree and have a word of advice if you wish to save money.

Apparently Finasteride (propecia) comes as a generic as well, nicknamed "Proscar". It is significantly cheaper and exactly the same. The only disadvantage is that you have to divide a pill into four parts by cutting it. Anyways, I'm taking Proscar and would recommend it.

Panama Jimmy

Mak, I don't think finasteride will have any effect on whether you have shock loss or not. I had an excellent surgeon, took finasteride for years and still experienced heavy shockloss. You just have to know going in that it may happen. If it does, it will come back. You will most likely go through an ugly duckling syndrome for a few months but it will be worth it.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question relating to shock loss and overlapping the transplant zone with existing hair. Is it a good idea to have a HT overlapping with existing hair a little so if there is further MPB it won't immediately be obvious that there is an area missing hair between the transplant and the remaining non-transplanted hair? I am particularly thinking of the region going back in a straight line from the temples. So far I have heard different opinions about this. One was that it is not a good idea because it might cause shock loss.