Propecia over the years

new york

If one is using propecia over an extended period of time (I have been using for almost seven years). Is it worth considering switching meds (avodart, dut etc.) to avoid propecia losing its effectiveness as it is reported to do?

new york,

The notion that Propecia loses its effectiveness is not exactly true in the way that it is being reported to be. For example, look at this chart that I posted a while back:

mean_change_crossover_data_chart.gif

As you can see from the chart that hair counts from individuals that utilize Propecia increase at first and then start to slightly decline. Adversely, users of a placebo have steady, deep declining hair counts. After five years on Propecia, hair count is still above the baseline hair count while the placebo hair counts are well below.

So, in saying that Propecia loses is efficacy is not true. Yes, after the initial spurt of growth, a slight decline still happens over the years, but that does not mean that Propecia is not working, but rather that hair loss is very much progressive and that Propecia is doing a good job in keeping it at bay, just not a full 100%. Still, at five years out and still above baseline hair count is pretty good.

Should you switch to another medication? Well, that decision is solely up to you, but as an Avodart user I would strongly advise against switching if you are getting good results with Propecia alone. Avodart gave me some heavy shedding in the first few months which I spoke of in this thread with another user. It can be a real roller coaster ride at the onset and I am still not positive that it was the best decision, but I am sticking it out (perhaps subbornly so icon_smile.gif).

I hope this helped to clear this up for you.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

New York, Since you have taken propecia for 7 years, have you noticed any adverse sexual side effects? Like reduced sperm volume or inability to maintain a hard erection? I am considering propecia, but there are an awful lot of people out there that complain of these side effects, some permanently. I know everybody refers to the propecia studies done by the pharm company that makes it....but I tend to be somewhat skeptical of pharm companies these days...(remember vioxx).

I appreciate any input regarding this.

Rumi, I have not noticed any of the sexual side effects regarding propecia. I remember that around three years ago I stopped takng it for awhile and then started back (and later added rogaine to the regimen as well) and even then, I never noticed any of the sexual side effects that others have complained about. I did however experience the initial shedding which has been well documented on this sight.

New York -

How it working for you in terms of holding your hair pattern???

Barely anybody on this forum has been taking propecia for more than 3-4 years... How's that working for you?/ I have read that Propecia slightly loses its affects after 5 years... is that true for you?? do you think it's working for as well as it did 3-4 years ago??

Thanks,

KG

• 3 months later...

Let me see if I understand the chart:

The straight line in the middle is the baseline hair count. This is how much hair the test subjects had at the begining off the study.

At the end of five years, users of the placebo only had hair counts far below the base line.

Users of propecia for five years had hair counts above, but rapidly approaching the baseline. Doesn't it stand to reason that they will continue in that downward direction?

The chart seems to illustrate to me that it is likely propecia can buy us five years of freedom from hair loss, but not too much more.

On a somewhat related topic, most people on this forum state that this drug can usually stabilize or delay hair loss, but that regrowth should be considered a fortunate bonus, if it happens. The way I read the chart, everyone in the test groups (except the all placebo patients) DID show actual hair gain.

I'm certainly not a "propecia basher". I just want to know everything I can about it. Please correct me if I've misinterpreted the chart.

Thanks,

Bob

Yeah - i can see what you mean about the chart...I've been on Propecia for about two years. As far as regrowth, my crown definately filled up considerably...which I don't think is uncommon. So maybe that accounts for being above the baseline? Front hairline and middle of the scalp has held pretty steady, but definately no regrowth.

Hi

I have been on Propecia since the day it was available. It has haulted my hair loss ( too bad it wasn't around sooner). I never miss a day and there has not been any decrease in effectiveness. There have been no side effects at all and this combined with my two HT procedures ( just had the 2nd 10 days ago) should be the solution.. Personally, I think the sexual side effect is just hype ( it's in the mind) .. These days every other drug seems to list that as a side effect...

2893 FUT / 2 procedures

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I am 28 and just started taking propecia for about 2 months and a half. I haven't seen any improvements yet but from wha tI have read in this forum and elsewhere, I need to wait at least 6 months to see if it works.

2 weeks ago I stopped taking Propecia for an entire week simply because of a very stressful project at work that kept me way too busy to go to the pharmacy to refill my prescription. So my question is, since I stopped taking finasteride during this week, do I need to start counting the months from scratch?

Thanks,

Frank