Can The Quality of Donor Hair be a Reason For Not Having a Hair Transplant

Hi,

I'm wondering what are limiting factors for some one not being able to have a hair transplant - with respect to the quality of their donor hair. Assume this is the first time an individual would be having one - therefore lack of donor supply would not factor in (or so I assume). I'm more concerned about how the quality of that donor hair factors in. I understand the thinner the hair is, the more the number of grafts would be required to achieve results comparable to someone who has coarse or thick hair.

But, are there any cases, where the quality of an individuals donor supply (for a first timer), has ever been a reason for not having a transplant? Lets say, the individual is not completely bald, norwood 3 perhaps bordering on 4.

One main reason stopping me from having one, is I just don't think my hair is of good enough quality for a transplant. I have thin sides too, I worry perhaps that they may recede, to the point where the scar would be detectable. Or that my end result would just look unnatural. If I had thicker hair I would be more confident in making the decision to have one - or so I lead myself to believe.

At the same time I understand, that people with thin hair do have transplants (there are weblogs which indicate this) - their options might be limited (perhaps a higher hair line - as one example - which I am fine with)

Is it also possible that such is the nature of thin hair that it generally looks of less quality than thicker hair? Or can thin hair further be classified into different degrees of quality.

Anyway, So, I'm wondering whether someone (a first timer), could fall under an extreme category (and if such a category already exists) - which renders him unsuitable for a transplant - due to the quality of his donor hair.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

-nm76

Hi,

I'm wondering what are limiting factors for some one not being able to have a hair transplant - with respect to the quality of their donor hair. Assume this is the first time an individual would be having one - therefore lack of donor supply would not factor in (or so I assume). I'm more concerned about how the quality of that donor hair factors in. I understand the thinner the hair is, the more the number of grafts would be required to achieve results comparable to someone who has coarse or thick hair.

But, are there any cases, where the quality of an individuals donor supply (for a first timer), has ever been a reason for not having a transplant? Lets say, the individual is not completely bald, norwood 3 perhaps bordering on 4.

One main reason stopping me from having one, is I just don't think my hair is of good enough quality for a transplant. I have thin sides too, I worry perhaps that they may recede, to the point where the scar would be detectable. Or that my end result would just look unnatural. If I had thicker hair I would be more confident in making the decision to have one - or so I lead myself to believe.

At the same time I understand, that people with thin hair do have transplants (there are weblogs which indicate this) - their options might be limited (perhaps a higher hair line - as one example - which I am fine with)

Is it also possible that such is the nature of thin hair that it generally looks of less quality than thicker hair? Or can thin hair further be classified into different degrees of quality.

Anyway, So, I'm wondering whether someone (a first timer), could fall under an extreme category (and if such a category already exists) - which renders him unsuitable for a transplant - due to the quality of his donor hair.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

-nm76

i had the same question too. I remember a disappointed patient from H&W who had thin hair and i believe Dr Hasson had told him that his hair characteristics were not suitable for HT but he went ahead for a transplant and he was very disappointed with the results after 1 year....probably jotronics can answer this??

Can some hair characteristics be considered unsuitable for HT?

Do you have a link to this post? I would have thought if a doctor recommends a patient not suitable for a hair transplant. To then go ahead and do it does not seem right? I only ask this to be sure if this was the case or perhaps it was something else? - Or perhaps it was some other doctor, and that was the reason for the unsatisfactory HT.

Do note that I do not question whether a transplant would be successful for someone with just thin hair - as i said before the weblogs and various discussions on this forum indicate that one can achieve a more than satisfactory HT.

I wonder whether there are varying degrees of classification for thin hair, and whether there is such an extreme case that deems a transplant not feasible at all.

some people don't have good enough donor characteristics for a great transplant (due to density or scalp laxity or both). Thats why it is important to have *multiple* *ethical* surgeons evaluate you before you decide on a transplant. A good surgeon will be able to level set your expectations based on your donor characteristics, and that is really important before deciding on a transplant.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

nm76,

Check out this thread(check the link of HLH site). The dude apparently had thin hair, and Dr Hasson turned him down initially, but the patient was persistent as he wanted atleast *some* improvement and hence Dr Hasson worked upon him finally which the doctor regretted later.

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...891077983#4891077983