I replied to your other thread but forgot to ask you if you're doing anything for loss prevention. Do you take Propecia, use Minoxidil or use any recommended hair care products to help maintain hair? At your age, if you don't, you should seriously look into it. From the top I can see your pattern of thinning. Since your young you may be able to keep a substantial amount of that hair and even possibly regrow some with the proper regimen.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

no im not on any form of medication/products although i know i should be. there are so many myths surrounding propecia or minoxidil-- such as once i start i can never stop or else it wont be effective? -- that i dont know where to begin

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

You really should've been advised to get on Propecia before the transplant. There aren't myths surrounding the drug--you need to get on it and stay on it for life if you're serious about keeping your hair. I'm afraid at your age and w/o having taken it that your transplant could shock out even more hair that might've had its miniaturization reversed by being on Propecia. Get a prescription and start taking it, and don't let money be an excuse. You won't miss the dollars when hair that could've been saved is gone....

IMO, your doc should have gave you a prescription for propecia and sent you on your way and told you to come back in 5-6 years if your hairloss has stabalized. I think that was unethical to operate on you--at only 24 at a Norwood 2.5 ish.

I agree with L;Anonyme, you must get on Propecia now, or you are going to loose the hair behind the transplants and you will be forced to get more transplants-IMO

Originally posted by Spirall08:

no im not on any form of medication/products although i know i should be. there are so many myths surrounding propecia or minoxidil-- such as once i start i can never stop or else it wont be effective? -- that i dont know where to begin

Spirall08,

Do some mega research with respect to Propecia, Minoxidil, Nioxin/Nizoral (hair care) and see what kind of comfort level you can get. I waited until last year (age 38) to get a HT but experimented with Minoxidil while in my 20's and losing hair, then briefly tried Propecia 4-5 years ago buy stayed with neither.

I can tell you now, after having my 2nd HT 4 months ago, I wish I would have taken Propecia as early as it was medically approved and stayed with it. At your age, it may help you keep what you have for a long period of time and there's a slight possibility for regrowth. I believe Minoxidil to be effective also, but I didn't want to commit to that exhaustive a regimen so I chose not to take it.

Research this site and find other information on hair loss prevention to see what you can commit to.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.