Donor closure: staples vs. sutures, trichophytic technique, "zig zag" technique.

My biggest problem with my hair restoration procedure many years ago is the large scar that was left in the donor area.

I would like to know the pros and cons of using staples instead of sutures. I would also appreciate any comments (positive or negative) on different techniques such as zig zagging.

And forgive my ignorance, but can someone also explain in detail the difference between internal and external sutures and why one is better than the other?

Obviously I'm trying to find out which is the method that would minimize scarring the most. All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

My biggest problem with my hair restoration procedure many years ago is the large scar that was left in the donor area.

I would like to know the pros and cons of using staples instead of sutures. I would also appreciate any comments (positive or negative) on different techniques such as zig zagging.

And forgive my ignorance, but can someone also explain in detail the difference between internal and external sutures and why one is better than the other?

Obviously I'm trying to find out which is the method that would minimize scarring the most. All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Hoper

There was a recent discussion on the subject of staples v's stitches on this forum, in which some doc's participated, and it comes down to being a decision of the individual doc (Use the search)

However i would suggest than all the top docs will give you a small thin scar, which can usually be concealed down to a #2 or #3 buzz.

And i feel sure that you could expect an improvement over your current one.

All the best

Clive.

This is one area of advancement with HT the last several years with different closure techniques. I am not a proponent of zig zag technique for several reasons. In my opinion for the results, a 2step closure with stitches in the subQ tissue (underneath) with Staples on surface yields good outcomes. Also, you dont want it too tight or overlaping which causes ridging. If you have bad scar from prior HT, a good surgeon can do scar reduction on your next HT to correct.

SMOOTHY

HT-Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine

MSM/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin

Zrii