Need Advice- Im a newbie!

dreww

Hows it going, Im new to all this. Im 24 and am starting to lose my hair, everytime I take a shower or comb my hair it just falls out. I have an appointment to have a looked at in a couple of weeks but need some experience advice on drugs and etc. Thanks

Hows it going, Im new to all this. Im 24 and am starting to lose my hair, everytime I take a shower or comb my hair it just falls out. I have an appointment to have a looked at in a couple of weeks but need some experience advice on drugs and etc. Thanks

Definitely ask your doc about Propecia - it's the best thing out there proven to work, with very rare occurence of side-effects. Not only it is very likely to halt your hairloss, but may even regrow some hair.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

I would recommend to absolutely anyone, regardless of age or hairloss, to try propecia and minoxidil for 6 months prior to getting a HT. It might seem like a long time, but it will really show you where you stand, and it is quite possible you will need less hair to be moved. I use to think, I hate being dependent on drugs. I want to have a HT and be done with it. My atitude has changed completely. You never know how far your hair loss will go unless you are already a NW7. It is both economical and less invasive to use these drugs if you can tolerate them. There is a great deal of deception and bad results in the market place, you want to expose yourself to it as little as possible. These drugs allow you to control the outcome yourself to an extent and are proven to work. Hair transplantation can give great results and can fill in areas where drugs don't work, but should be considered an adjunct to medicine in my opinion. You may consider Dutasteride, but the jury is still out on it.

You never know until you try. It is common that the drugs work better the farther your hair loss is towards the back. I strongly suggest the use of minoxidil with them. Minox 5% and minox 5% with retin a.

My regimen is as follows

Avodart .5 daily

Xandrox day and night daily applied with Aussie leave in hair conditioner when I have time.

Should I just start with the propecia? I have bought some Rogaine but havent used it. Just waiting to see the doc. And do you think that adding dye in your hair will increase hair loss.

Thanks for all your help, I've been really stressing about my hair lately, Im 24 and dont want to go bald and will do whatever it takes no to.

Always good to ask a doc, but I would just start on Propecia. Rogaine may help, but I gave up on it because it was a b**ch having to apply it, and from what I have seen the results are not as good as with Propecia. Taking a pill is much easier.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Dreww,

While the nurses were planting my FUs we got to talking about return patients of Dr Jones. They commented on how gratifying it is to see patients return with grown-in results, HOWEVER they advised that several patients get so caught up in the self improvement regiment that they go too far by coloring their hair.

In short, by coloring your hair you lose dimension and increase the contrast between your hair and scalp ACTUALLY decreasing the effectiveness of the HT results.

You may have noticed that white, grey, and blonde men tend to achieve better results with less FUs since the contrast between light scalp and light hair is less noticable.

Heck, men with dark hair would be better off going out and getting highlighted hair than coloring dark to cover the grey.

HT patients would be even better off with salt and pepper hair since it both decreases contrast AND adds dimension.

to try propecia and minoxidil for 6 months prior to getting a HT. QUOTE]

Poet, as far as I know you are not a Dr. and therefore you should not recomment anybody taking pills. In fact I wish all members on this and other boards should stop recommending pills.

Do you know the long term effects of taking these pills > NO. Do Dr. know the long term risk > NO !

Just look at the short term risks taking these pills and then wonder what they might do in the long run !

I am not saying that taking proscar and other HL drugs WILL get you into trouble in a far future, but the risk is there. You or anybody else do not want to take responsability for someone's health.

As long as there are no long term studies on large groups of people of the effect of HL pills one should think twice before making a possible dangerous descision.

Think about it and let everybody decide for themselves.

icon_wink.gif

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

nobody's forcing anyone to take pills. Most people simply like the odds of 2% possibility of reversible side effects vs. 100% possibility of hair loss progression.

There is a difference between Rogaine and Propecia. Rogaine "forces" hair to grow. Propecia lowers DHT levels which is responsible for hair loss. With less DHT in your system, you will lose less hair, perhaps none, and your hair will continue to grow. Rogaine, however, doesn't get rid of the problem (DHT). In order to prevent hair loss, you need to get to the source of the problem.

When you start Propecia, it will take a long time before you see any positive results. Some see results at 3 months, some take longer (6, 8, 12 months). Just stick with it and let it do it's thing.

Granted, there could be long term effects that we are not yet aware of as pertaining to hair loss drugs, but there are so many drugs, food additives, personal hygeine products that contain ingredients which could pose long term health effects to your person. Everyone takes a risk just by waking up in the morning and walking outside to breathe, drive, live, etc.

When I purchased my car, I could have chosen a safer model, but I opted for what I wanted. I try to eat healthy, but sometimes I just want to eat a pizza. This may very well be apples and oranges here, but my point is that I'm personally willing to take the risks of long-term effects that propecia may have because it has helped reduce my hair loss and therefore makes my life better. Finasteride has been around a very long time and although the almighty FDA doesnt know all, I'm satisfied that they've made it an approved drug.

As far as short or long term side effects, I personally have had none, and it will vary from person to person. I think that if someone has had positive results from propecia, minoxidil, etc, then they should absolutely feel free to recommend it to others. We are here to help, guide, and maybe teach a little to others just like us. On the same token, you too are free to follow up right behind those people and state your concerns.....that's what makes this message board great for us.

bverotti,

You are certainly in the minority as far as advising against taking the popular hair loss medications. I know you don't take them, and that is a choice you've made, but it does seem like the vast majority of docs do recommend the medications. In fact, I don't know a single doctor who doesn't recommend them. I'm sure they exist, I just don't know who they are. And why would the docs recommend them if they thought there was something lurking down the road.

Good luck.

Manko

if someone comes on this forum and asks advice, give it to em. If Propecia is what you take and its working, tell them. He's a 24 year old growm man, as am I. When I ask about advice it goes unsaid that it is advice and not a prescription. If you wanna take that approach, no one here should under any circumstances ever recommend a HT, because of the potential side effects.

Dreww, as far as Propecia working in front. A consultant told me that scientifically it should contribute to the growth of frontal hair equally as well, although I myself have seen none. It has seemed to slow the progression in front a little. But for you if you are thinning in front, there is a really good chance the crown is too and you just aren't aware of it. If your just starting to thin, I would definitely give Propecia a try, hop on Rogaine too. Get the generic at Walmart or any drug store. Also, this isn't a treatment, but when I first started thinning I cut my hair shorter, makes a huge difference appearance wise. Just a thought. Read all kinds of stuff on these forums, get up to speed. You seemed determined to fix the problem, and unfortunately, at some point if your already thinning and not just receeding, your might need a Hair Transplant. Granted, you've just started thinning, and if you get on the right meds that time might be 10 years. But educate yourself. There are tons of guys on this site who have gone through serious problems that make thinning hair look like a picnic. You and I are lucky also I think in that the procedures are really starting to have realistic results. I feel confident that by the time I have to shave my head or go for a Hair Transplant there will be very real options. Read read read.

Matt 6:25-34

[This message was edited by JRod on July 27, 2003 at 11:34 AM.]

I generally suggest that you try medications before considering a hair transplant. I would recommend consulting with a hair transplant physician or dermatologist and inquire about Propecia and Rogaine. These medications can help to diminish hair loss and in some cases people experience significant regrowth. These medications work by different mechanisms and work synergistically.

If after a year or so you feel that you are not improving or you believe that you want to pursue a more aggressive approach then a hair transpalnt might be the way to go. Once again I recommend that you consult with a reputable hair replacement surgeon.

Hope this info helps

Paul T Rose, MD

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Too all,

I have a problem with people recommending other people taking certain kind of drug (proscar ....) when :

1. You are not a Dr. !

2. You do not know anything about the other person medical background !

Just FYI I have just called 3 HT clinics in Europe. I have asked them 2 very simple question.

1. Do you know the drug proscar/propecia/any other hair growth stimulant ?

Answer : all know the drugs mention and also said that they heared of minoxidil.

2. Do you prescribe your patients to any of these drugs ?

All came with exaclty the same anser : NO we do not prescribe these drugs because short term effects are in some cases severe and longterm effects UNKNOWN ! I thought I heared myself speaking when I listened to their responses.

Talk about a different attitude Europe/US.

For those who would like to know which clinics I talked to PM me.

Risks :

There are risk that come with being alive, external forces that you encounter daily.

Taking HL pills is something you can avoid and is not a risk forced upon you.

I know am going against for flow on this board, but then again it would become boring if everbody has the same opinion ! icon_razz.gif

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

You can't just get yourself on propecia in this country. Well, that's not true, there are some websites that are willing to sell the drug to you without having to see a doctor. But, if you play by the rules, you need to see a doctor and have him prescribe it for you. Obviously, telling someone on this message board to start taking propecia doesn't mean that person will run out, get the drug and start eating it like candy. It's more of a suggestion. Of course the person should discuss it with his doctor to see if it is the right thing to do given his medical background.

When men ask for suggestions here, that is simply what they are getting in return.... suggestions. It is up to them to research it (I think most of us here are more than willing to help with that as well), talk to their doctor, and decide for themselves if they want to take the drug or not.

You have very valid points, but no one here is forcing anyone to do anything. In the end, we are all responsible for ourselves. icon_smile.gif

To suggest the Doc's in Europe have all the correct answers is really quite funny icon_wink.gif

Propecia usage:

To each his own !!!

Forum's are for info from others, and if Propecia has had a positive impact, one should relay thier own story ?? it doesnt take a doc to make a recommendation, I like hearing "personal results & stories"... "in addition" to the doc.

icon_wink.gif