Is 6000 grafts Enough to Consider Having a Transplant

I have thin/fine black hair which contrasts with my fair skin. I have lost some hair on my frontal third. My vertex and crown are okay - although over the years they have thinned out a bit (including my sides). I am 32 right now and have been told I probably have around 6000 grafts. My initial goal would be to fill in my frontal third and I am told I need between 2500-3000 grafts for that. After my first procedure this would probably leave me with about 3000 grafts. Now assuming I lose hair on the vertex and the crown, would 3000 be enough to combat that loss?

Should I even consider having a HT, with such a low number of grafts to begin with - I'd love to have some hair back, but at the same time it will not be the end of the world for me.

Still having some hair is better than having to shave my scalp for the rest of my life - but not if 6000 thin caliber grafts would look odd over my scalp.

I dont mean to come off as a jerk, but rather than post 3 different threads asking about how many grafts you need, just use one thread and ask a doctor. The best way to find out information is to consult with doctors.

To answer your question though 6000 grafts can make large cosmetic improvement - you won't look like youre 18 again but it will definitely make a large difference. Might be a better idea not to use them in the crown, but just go to a couple consultations of recommended docs, or even do the online consult as that will get you the best and most informative answers.

August 12, 2008 - 3100 grafts Dr. Feller

Check out my blog - http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=876

mm76,

I agree with FenderPlayer that it's probably better to keep your topic of the number of grafts you need in one thread. This will actually allow you to get the kind of help you are looking for without members jumping all over the place icon_smile.gif.

A good average guideline is to take your norwood level and multiply it by 1000-1500 to get the number of follicular unit grafts you will need for decent coverage and an adequate illusion of density.

You can also use our animated graft calculator.

None of this of course replaces an actual estimate given to you by qualified hair transplant surgeons. In my opinon, find a few quality doctors from this site, consult with them, and get an initial evaluation. Once you decide on a surgeon, you can work toward developing a long term hair restoration game plan.

Best wishes,

Bill