2.5mg Proscar - Mon / Wed / Fri

Andy_83

Hi all,

I've read many recommendations regarding the most "effective" dosage for Proscar/Fin, which states 1mg per day.

However, after the consultation with a tricologist (or hair doctor) my prescription arrived about 8 weeks ago, with instructions on the front stating "take half a tablet, Mon / Wed / Fri" which ive been doing. Resulting in a weekly dose of 7.5mg as apposed to the 7mg with the 1mg per day regime.

After reading various posts, im concerned that the Mon/Wed/Fri regime may not be as effective? As Sat/Sun im not taking any tablets at all!

Am I correct in assuming the 2.5mg stays in your blood stream longer, thus allowing a 3x week dosage?

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers!

Hi all,

I've read many recommendations regarding the most "effective" dosage for Proscar/Fin, which states 1mg per day.

However, after the consultation with a tricologist (or hair doctor) my prescription arrived about 8 weeks ago, with instructions on the front stating "take half a tablet, Mon / Wed / Fri" which ive been doing. Resulting in a weekly dose of 7.5mg as apposed to the 7mg with the 1mg per day regime.

After reading various posts, im concerned that the Mon/Wed/Fri regime may not be as effective? As Sat/Sun im not taking any tablets at all!

Am I correct in assuming the 2.5mg stays in your blood stream longer, thus allowing a 3x week dosage?

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers!

Andy,

These are great questions and I've read varying philosophies on this. In my opinion, it makes sense to take 1mg daily to keep a consistent level of finasteride in your body at any given time. Some physicians have recommended taking .5mg of finasteride daily in patients with less aggressive hair loss, but taking it daily keeps a consistent supply in your blood stream.

I'd be interested to hear physician input on skipping days with larger dosages and whether or not any studies have been done on the efficacy of this regime.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dr. Cooley prescribed me 5 mg per week; which is one tablet broken into 1/3 and taken on M-W-F. For what it's worth.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week