still red...

hello, I am about 3 1/2 months post op and am still slightly red(more pinkish)in my temple areas where my surgery was done. I had 500 grafts placed into my temple regions. Im concerened as to why the area is still redish and want to know if this has happened in any other cases. I would also like to know if there is anything I can do to help take away the redness. Thanks

hello, I am about 3 1/2 months post op and am still slightly red(more pinkish)in my temple areas where my surgery was done. I had 500 grafts placed into my temple regions. Im concerened as to why the area is still redish and want to know if this has happened in any other cases. I would also like to know if there is anything I can do to help take away the redness. Thanks

Did you mention your concerns to your doc? I have heard it takes up to 4 months for the redness to go away, but I do know that there are some things that could potentiall irritate your skin:

1. Constant use of minoxodil could potentiallly irritate your skin, you may want to temporarily consider stop using it in the front if you use it until the redness goes away

2. There is talk that Nizoral shampoo could potentially irritate your scalp, especially if you are using immediately to a couple months post op. This happened to me and then I stopped using it for a little bit. I'll probably start using it again in another month

Do you find your scalp is itchy? Make sure you aren't scratching it because it can further irritate your scalp. Talk to your doc also, because my doc (Dr. True) prescribed me something to help take away the redness. I used it for 2 weeks 2 times a day, and the redness was very much minimized. I basically have no redness left now. It's a prescribed medication and should only be taken as per the doctor's instructions. Sorry, I don't remember the name of it.

Bill

I was red like that for a long time 4 months or so like you, I dont think it ever went away, just got covered with hair. Dr keene basically told me just wait it out, Nothing you can really do, I used a little makeup from my wife to kind of take the red edge off. Dr. said "tincture of time" kind of like that

Originally posted by mr invisible:

hey guys thanks for the replies,

I do find my head to be itchy a lot, I think this is because I only shampoo and condition my hair every other week. I do not use minoxodil and i dont use nizoral shampoo, the shampoo i use is nioxin.

keep your head pores clean and wash every day this helps your growth going strong and healthy.

not sure why you are waiting so long between washing :-(

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

What your experiencing is normal. Your doctor should have explained this to you.

I had the exact same problem. I tried witch hazel, aloe vera, and Mederma. None of it really helped. I did find minox to be a big contributor to redness. Eventually had to stop using it and then shead badly. But that is not your problem since your not using minox.

Just have to wait it out. Keep it covered from the sun! I'm 11+ months post op and my transplanted area of the scalp will turn red again if exposed to the sun.