Some more info on shockloss

Helpful form members,

I will be consulting 4-5 coalition doctors in the next few weeks and will probably go in for a transplant a month or two later.

Not that I don't trust the docs but i want some honest opinions.

1. How many hairs should I get transplanted. I think I am a norwood 6 patient

2. could the transplant harm any existing roots. If you look at my pictures I still have some roots left.

2006-front-side.JPG.35b3c8a79eb7fc28b5f49bbab473a981.JPG

Greg,

Keep doing your research and gather as much information as you can. If you're truly a Norwood 6, you'll need as many grafts as possible for decent coverage. Are you doing anything for loss prevention like taking finasteride or using minoxidil? What about a good scalp and hair care regimen? How old are you? There are many things to consider before getting a HT.

It's difficult for me to tell from those pics how much loss you actually have. I'd let it grow out a little more so the loss pattern can be more easily seen. From your pics, You don't really appear like a true NW 6 as you still appear to have quite a bit of crown hair. As I said, it's tough to tell because your hair is so short.

The potential harm to any existing hair is normally referred to as shock loss. If you have hair that is being lost due to male-pattern-baldness, and it's in the final stages of loss, there is some risk that it will be shocked out never to return. Many take finasteride (Propecia), in an attempt to regenerate MPB susceptible hair and help avoid shock loss during a HT. If you're not taking it, you may want to consider it whether you have a HT or not.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Administrators

I agree with what Hairbanks suggests. I would get on Propecia to strengthen your existing hair and hopefully halt further hair loss.

A top notch surgeon takes great care in making graft incisions carefully to avoid damaging existing hairs. Typically the surgeon wears a 3 or 4 power magnifying glasses when making the incisions.

The smaller and less invasive incisions used by Coalition surgeons also decrease trauma to the scalp and possible shock fallout. Healing is also more rapid. Thus the scalp in the recipient area is largely healed 7 to 10 days after surgery.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thanks for your advice Pat and HairBank.

I tried using Propecia but noticed some side effect and thus discontinued.

Don't currently used minoxidil, although i used to. I used it for 8-10 months but noticed that it wasnt helping. Hairloss was ON as usual.

Thanks again

Greg,

Are you sure that you are a Norwood 6? You look like you just have frontal recession. Are you also bald in the crown area? Based on your pictures, I would go for a full hairline session. I said this earlier - let your hair grow out. A good HT doctor is going to do some amazing work with you. I think you are going to be very happy.

JohnH,

When I let my hair grow out I get a Horse shoe patten on my head.It's not too pretty and being relatively young, it makes me look weird at work. Most of the roots on the top do not sprout any hair.

Anyways I did send my pictures to fews docs. They advised me to let grow my hair for 2 weeks and contact them again.

5+ days after my HT I can attest to the fact that the top of my head has lost pretty much all redness, and I only have some tenderness around the sutures.

I might add that I had so little pain afterwards, that I took nothing stronger than ordinary Tylenol, even tho I was given a prescription for stronger meds.

An HT should be approached as you would plastic surgery, thousands can do it, but few probably do it well. It requires artistry and dedication. My Doctor, Dr. Cooley, showed an amazing dedication and industry, and in my opinion the top of my head looks better now with the budding HT than it did when I went in.

I'm thrilled, and my hair isn't even growing yet!

mark h