shave or HT

I've been thinking of getting a HT done. I'm 36 years old and have been losing my hair for about ten years now. My hairline has receded about an inch and is thinning about an inch behind where it is now. The top and crown still have hair but under the light or outside my scalp is clearly visible. I always figured I would just shave my head when it got too bad . But now with what iv'e been reading about fu's it seems like there might be another option.

My first question is what kind of coverage can I expect from fu transplants? I know my hair will never be as thick as it once was, but can I expect to always have my scalp visible?

I've been thinking of getting a HT done. I'm 36 years old and have been losing my hair for about ten years now. My hairline has receded about an inch and is thinning about an inch behind where it is now. The top and crown still have hair but under the light or outside my scalp is clearly visible. I always figured I would just shave my head when it got too bad . But now with what iv'e been reading about fu's it seems like there might be another option.

My first question is what kind of coverage can I expect from fu transplants? I know my hair will never be as thick as it once was, but can I expect to always have my scalp visible?

If you have some "original hair" left, from using Propecia etc, it will help make your HT look better. If all you have are grafts to provide coverage, a HT doesn't result in a glorious mane of dense hair. A good one looks natural, and it looks like maybe you have lost some hair, but have managed to hang on to a decent amount. In other words, a guy who is totally bald who gets a HT, will probably not look any better than where you're at right now. HTs don't give you "rock star hair" unfortunately. There's not enough donor hair for that.

Since you have some hair, that's good, it helps with your end-result. But you can't presume that hair will never be lost down the road, especially if you actually need a HT in the first place. I wouldn't bet on it... Also, there is the chance of "shock fallout" where the surgery can sometimes cause your hair loss to accelerate. Sometimes that hair will grow back in time, and sometimes it is gone for good. It may or may not even occur in your case. But it is something to factor into your decision. That's one reason you should be using Propecia, it might help prevent shock fallout.

If your doctor claims shock fallout won't be an issue for you, ask for that in writing. icon_wink.gif

If i were you, I would see Dr. Bernstein in NYC, he doesn't pressure guys into getting surgery. He may tell you not to get a HT for now, and if he does, BELIEVE HIM...! Or he may say thumbs up, or that it's your decision on what to do. But I would trust his opinion, and if you are serious about considering HT, you should see more than one doctor anyway. (I remember you asking about doctors in the New England area).

Good luck.

Seems like the rounded the head, the better shaved looks. The more oval the head, the less cool shaved looks. It is kinda strange like that.

My head doesn't look too good shaved, so I finally decided on HT. Plus in general I don't want to have a "badass" image that a shaved 20s guy may have.