Should I wait? (propecia)

joachim

hello everyone, need some advise please.

I am a NW2 in my late twenties with a thinning hairline. The vertex and crown are to this point

unaffected. I want to know your opinion about getting on propecia, since there are no documented

effects of improvement in this area.

I hesitate because several posts here are concerning accelerated hairloss in the frontal

region while being on meds while improvements are mostly made in the crown, should I wait until my crown

starts thin untill undergoing medical treatment with Propecia/proscar?

Best Regards

hello everyone, need some advise please.

I am a NW2 in my late twenties with a thinning hairline. The vertex and crown are to this point

unaffected. I want to know your opinion about getting on propecia, since there are no documented

effects of improvement in this area.

I hesitate because several posts here are concerning accelerated hairloss in the frontal

region while being on meds while improvements are mostly made in the crown, should I wait until my crown

starts thin untill undergoing medical treatment with Propecia/proscar?

Best Regards

I would get on the meds asap, this will help ensure that your crown will stay thicker. Also the fact that you don't really notice your hair thinning until close to half of it has already left...it could be thinning and you don't notice.

I did that several years ago, I was on propecia and figured it wasn't doing much so I stopped and lost alot of hair afterwards, I wish I had stayed on it.

Waiting is NOT a bad idea when it comes to hair transplants. If someone acts early on to fix receding areas and a thinning crown, they most likely wont have enough donor hair left should they go to a NW6 or NW7 later on. This would leave them islands of hair, strange patterns of thickness, etc all because they acted too soon to get an HT.

Looking at family history of baldness isn't always a good predictor of your final stage of baldness either. My personal outlook, and everyone's got a different one, is that you plan for the worst and hope for the best. I was a NW2/NW3 with a majority of thinning throughout the entire scalp. It definitely looked like I would have been heading to a NW7, maybe NW6, eventually. I was about your age, had a 1500 graft HT dispersed throughout the existing hair, and am using propecia....so far so good. Even being just over 7 months post-op, if I maintained my current hair status for the rest of my life, I'd be perfectly fine. I DO expect, however, on getting another HT down the road though. Unless the propecia and good livin' keep my all current follicles of course.

Well HT and meds would be two very different stories,IMO.

Even if it don't help regrowth, does propecia at least help maintain the front hairs as rogaine supposedly does? From what I understand waiting until you do see noticeable thinning is too late for the best results.

A coworker of mine has a brother who did real good with the stuff. He don't share the same bald spot.