scar repair

dakota,

This depends on many factors.

Firstly, is your existing scar from a previous transplant? What do you want to accomplish? Are you also looking into getting another transplant?

There are a few ways to do scar repair:

1. Remove another strip and suture the skin back together creating a new and more refined scar (using the latest Trichophytic closure technique)

This option will also give you the option of using the hairs that are removed with the new strip for a transplant.

2. Using FUE to extract hairs from other sections of your scalp and inserting them into the scar.

You will end up keeping your existing scar but minimizing its appearance by covering it with hair.

Hope this helps.

Bill

My problem is that my hair has not started growing and i had alot of schockloss from the surgery so i shave my head therefore transplanting hair to the scar is not an option, but the trichophytic technique does sound interesting. How about laser scar removal? Does that work?

I dont have any pics just yet but will post some in the following days. Because im so dissapointed w/ how this transplant went right now im concentrating more on fading or removing the scar more than another transplant, but it seems like it would kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone by getting that Trichophytic closure technique that you were talking about

Bill outlined the two main approaches. The third option is a combination of the other two. In other words, you can remove and minimized the problem strip scar, and then graft the thinner resulting line.

If your scalp is flexible enough that your surgeon can removed the entire length and width of the scar and close the wound with minimal or no tension, you have a good shot at significantly improving the appearance of your donor area. FUE might then be a consideration if some touch-up/camouflage is needed later on.

If possible, you should consider reducing the scar before FUE. While FUE can deliver great results, I think most doctors feel that graft survival in scars is not as optimal as survival is "virgin" areas.

You may be able to resurface the tissue with some alternative therapies, but this will not change that fact that the hairless scar is visible against the surrounding hair.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 1 year later...

I agree with Bill.

My first hand experience is that scar repair (where they remove the scar) should only be used with a small number of very experienced surgeons who understand how to take tension off of the wound. Although I am not a doctor, I would personally not recommend it where they only use a relatively short term (60 day or less) deep stitch to keep the tension off of the scar.

For 3-6mm, I kind of like True's recommendation of FUEs.

No temporary thinning of your hair transplants that way and no chance of the doctor "under-engineering" a scar repair.

Dakota I never even knew you had a surgery.

Sorry your not happy thus far.

I had a huge scar from Nuhart that was reduced from 7-8mm to 2-3 with revision/another procedure

Then I had some fue put in it with one more round later this year.

Except for one small part so far its camouflaged down to a 3 guard

I am a bigger fan of scar excision, than planting grafts into a scar which may or may not have vasuclarity to support growth. I leave it up to the patient, but I push the excision. Cheaper and more likely to work.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Here is an example of grafts into the scar, worked OK, but I'd still rather have put those hairs elsewhere and just cut out the scar.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

http://hair-restoration-info.c...=223101843#223101843

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians