Propecia/Avodart Effects on Serum Testosterone Levels

spineguy1

How do drugs like Propecia or Avodart affect serum levels of testosterone. What if someone were testosterone deficient to begin with? If a pt was taking prescribed replacement testosterone therapy, and on a drug that stops the conversion of testosterone to DHT, would this likely "raise" or "lower" serum testosterone levels? Any opinions from Medical Professionals would be welcome.

spineguy,

This is a great question and one that I hope a medical professional chimes in on.

It is my suspicion that testesterone levels would increase slightly since testosterone is being prevented from being converted to DHT. But this is purely conjecture.

I look forward to more responses.

Bill

• 3 months later...

I think this is a complicated question.

Testosterone has two metabolites, estrogen and dihydrotestosterone.

By preventing the conversion of T to DHT, it stands to reason that testosterone could increase. It also stands to reason that E2 could increase (and in fact seems a likely culprit in some of the feminizing side effects of finasteride like gynocomastea).

Further, if T did increase, it is possible that it would only be short term until negative feedback inhibition occurs via leutinizing hormone (HPT axis).

It is further possible that if E2 increased it would be a double edged sword, as this could also negatively effect the HPT axis by saturating the hypothalmus with E2. In such a case, E2 could increase causing a subsequent decrease in T. This would not only change the T to E2 ratio, it could also further lower absolute T. In fact this is the reason drugs like clomid work to raise testosterone; they block receptor sites for E2.

Some men have more aromatase (the enzyme responsible for converting T to E2, just as 5AR converts T to DHT) which could aggravate any estrogen potentiated side effects.

I think it makes sense for physicians who prescribe finasteride to take baseline labs for testosterone, DHT and estradiol.

I am also of the opinion that concurrent use of an aromatase inhibitor like arimidex could be worth exploring in such men, under the care of a licensed physician.

Needless to say, I am not a doctor and nothing I say constitutes medical - or any - advice, but is informational only. Just my unprofessional opinion.

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Kirkland minoxidil 5% QD pm

Nizoral Q2W

American Crew Revitalize Shampoo