Dr Melvin Mayer with MHR

I had posted 6 months ago regarding my transplant procedure with Melvin Mayer of MHR. I was at a Norwood 2 receding to 3 at the time.

I was told by Dr. Mayer that it would be for 1100 grafts placed in the frontal areas. It was to patch up my hairline.

It will be exactly 6 months tomorrow from the day he treated me. I will be posting my beofre nd after pics. In all honesty I am not impressed and I am still very thin in the frontal areas.

There has been new hair growth but I still look bald in those areas. In other words there is no density. I have also experienced a lot of shockloss. Before I make any further comments or criticism about Doctor Mayer, I'm going to upload the pics tomorrow and then maybe you guys can have a look and tell me what you think.

I had posted 6 months ago regarding my transplant procedure with Melvin Mayer of MHR. I was at a Norwood 2 receding to 3 at the time.

I was told by Dr. Mayer that it would be for 1100 grafts placed in the frontal areas. It was to patch up my hairline.

It will be exactly 6 months tomorrow from the day he treated me. I will be posting my beofre nd after pics. In all honesty I am not impressed and I am still very thin in the frontal areas.

There has been new hair growth but I still look bald in those areas. In other words there is no density. I have also experienced a lot of shockloss. Before I make any further comments or criticism about Doctor Mayer, I'm going to upload the pics tomorrow and then maybe you guys can have a look and tell me what you think.

• Administrators

Alps,

I'm sorry that you are not getting the results you expected at this point. However, it could be that you are "late bloomer".

In my opinion, Dr. Melvin Mayer is the best surgeon within the MHR organization. He is typically the surgeon that MHR surgeons within the MHR company choose for their own surgery as Dr. Mayer is known within the company and profession to be the stand out in MHR (Sorry Dr. Leavitt).

Give it some time and try to remain hopeful. We would all be happy to view your photos as well.

Best wishes for great growth, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Alps007,

I'm also sorry that you are not getting the results you wanted.

I guess my first thought is 1100 grafts is simply not enough to give you decent density for a NW2 or NW3.

How old are you? Are you on finasteride to prevent future loss?

As Pat mentioned, you MIGHT be a late bloomer, however, it's most likely that you will not achieve a lot of density depending on how the grafts were laid out. Once you post pictures, we'll be able to make a more accurate determination of what's going on. I also recommend posting before pictures and immediately post op pictures so we can see where the grafts were set.

Regarding MHR, I would suggest not going back there if you decide to get more work done...whereas Dr. Mayer may have some credibility, getting surgery with MHR (or Bosley) is a crap shoot...there are many new and inexperienced doctors that work there and results are highly inconsistent.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Bill

Hi

The good news is 6 months is too early to judge your result.. It took me 14 months to really "fill out" and I saw a merked difference between 12 and 14 months..

Give it time then make your judgement.Also, 1100 is not going to provide a lot of coverage but again, we have no pics to see what your hairloss is .

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Alps007-

Melvin might be the best MHScar has but equally unethical. I am happy he did less harm than his collieges.

Could you ellaborate on your consult with thier best and brightest told you?

As far as I am concerned it's kinda like saying he was a good guard at the concentration camp.

A N/W 2-3 should have been VERY well advised.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

• 6 years later...

I did the hair transplant procedure with Dr. Melvin Mayer about 7 years ago and my hair presentation is in dismal shape. Now I can't even shave my head to cut my losses because I have a huge scar across the back of my head, with one side that I believe still has stitching inside and bulges out like a dense knot.

I am upset about this because given the consultations at MHR you would think that even if your hair is not fully restored, it would at least appear to be. I title this post false advertising because I was told that even though my hair would still be thin, it would appear as if I have uniform natural hair. But as you can tell from my recent profile photo, it is no such thing.

In all fairness to Dr. Mayer the transplants that were placed look great and natural, not patchy. But the scar in the back of my head gives me a Frankenstein monster look, and the shortest I can cut my hair is to a 5 on a razor (when I was informed at the pre-consultation that because of the great elasticity of my skin I could cut my hair to a level 2). And if light is shining on the back of my head (like in photos) it doesn't matter how long my hair is from the back, it shows.

In my follow up consultation Dr. Mayer and the entire office was complimenting me about how great my hair looks when I wasn't convinced $6,000 later. So that is what makes me feel that this is quite a scam.

I know I don't have a solution unfortunately but if anybody is thinking about doing this surgery, especially with Dr. Mayer feel free to contact me and I will advise you the best I can.

Good luck and be smart

Hi guys,

It's been over 6 years since I posted here regarding my experience with Dr. Mayer of MHr and now Bosley. His job was a failure and all he has done is create pimple like spots in the frontal area(area where new hair was transplanted). There is one strand of hair growing out of each pimple like spot and these spots are widely spaced apart hence very poor density. Infact in the pic below you wont even notice the transplanted hairs. Its that poor density

Density is extremely poor and you can count the transplanted hairs its no more then 50. I paid this scum $5000 for 50 hairs.

Now my big concern is as my hairline has started receding with age this spots are becoming very visible to the naked eye and I don't have enough natural hairs to cover them. I have attached a pic which I hope will clearly show what I mean.

Can anyone adivse me of a doctor in UK that can assist in removing these pimple like spots.

They are hugely embarassing and very noticeable and it is making me very self conscious around crowds.

Many Thanks

Alps

PS: i have taken pic on my phone. if it aint clear then pls let me know and i will try and borrow friends camera to take pic

20130919_111339.jpg.bb1edeff9068e8efa0161667e5dd40b6.jpg

• 8 months later...